Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kelso, WA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update as of 1745 Saturday 15 February: Construction at Kelso is confirmed. Appears to be 1 pull in and 11 back in spots in (as previously reported) the Panera Bread parking lot at exit 39 from I-5. Eleven of the pedestals are set and the pad is poured for #12. The pad for the cabinets and the transformer is framed but not poured. The conduit for the trench behind the pedestals is still on the bed of the Blackstone truck and the cabinets are still in the factory wrapping. From I-5 southbound there are two lights and a stop sign to transit from the exit - takes about 90 seconds to get to the site. I'll try to contact the moderator and request the blue dot be changed to a construction cone.
Kelso2.jpg
Kelso3.jpg
Kelso1.jpg

Kelso5.jpg
Kelso5.jpg
Kelso6.jpg

Attachments

• Kelso4.jpg
    Kelso4.jpg
    736.2 KB · Views: 44
I5 is getting some serious love between Seattle and Portland. I always wonder in the back of my mind how Tesla calculates when to spend money on redundant chargers along a route. I love having options as much as anyone, but building and maintaining these, not to mention the net cost they surely have on paying at least part of the electric bill, really adds up. All those annual costs get paid by new sales they must also make annually.

I'm all for seeing the I-5 corridor be built out, but what I really wonder about is how Tesla prioritizes supercharger locations on a national basis. I lived outside of Oklahoma City until I moved to the Pacific NW in October, 2018. So I pay attention to supercharger construction (or the lack of it) in that area. While there may not be a large number of Tesla vehicles in Oklahoma, I-40 is a major east/west interstate. There is a 375 mile gap from the Oklahoma City supercharger to the one on the south side of Little Rock. There has been a "coming attraction" site for Fort Smith, AR, for years. IMHO, this has got to be the #1 priority location for a supercharger in the country.

• Informative
Reactions: Araman0
Probably a combination of things
- Permit approvals
- Availability of supplies
- Deployment of personnel

I suspect you may see a surge in one geographical area and then it will subside as other areas get attention. Having a site pop up for no understandable reason probably means all the criteria was met and rather than wait - do it.

I'm all for seeing the I-5 corridor be built out, but what I really wonder about is how Tesla prioritizes supercharger locations on a national basis.
I’m sure there are many factors affecting SC construction. One of them may be personnel. Tesla frequently advertises for project managers for SC construction so it seems to have high turnover for those positions. I would guess that construction grinds to a halt in a region where they are between PM’s. Also, corporate cash flow is likely a factor. Tesla’s finances were pretty tight in 2018 and 2019, and SC progress really slowed down. It’s kicked into high gear esp. the last 4-6mo.

Reactions: IdaX
I'm all for seeing the I-5 corridor be built out, but what I really wonder about is how Tesla prioritizes supercharger locations on a national basis. I lived outside of Oklahoma City until I moved to the Pacific NW in October, 2018. So I pay attention to supercharger construction (or the lack of it) in that area. While there may not be a large number of Tesla vehicles in Oklahoma, I-40 is a major east/west interstate. There is a 375 mile gap from the Oklahoma City supercharger to the one on the south side of Little Rock. There has been a "coming attraction" site for Fort Smith, AR, for years. IMHO, this has got to be the #1 priority location for a supercharger in the country.
There are many other threads about the I-40 gap in OK/AR. Let's try to keep this one on topic :)

I was there earlier today (Sunday). In addition to the already mentioned 11+1 V3 stalls, there are spaces for 4 more between the end of the main row of stalls (there are two that are not immediately adjacent to the others -- right angles an on the other side of the pad) and the pad. I suspect they are finished putting in the stalls they are going to have for now, but it's clear there are exactly 4 more parking spaces available that could be used for expansion should the demand justify it. @MarcoRP @Chuq please update the site to reflect 12 stalls, not 8. Thanks!