Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kemptville Ontario

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assume that you are right, but that wouldn't have mattered in my situation yesterday. I was at Port Hope a few hours later and it mattered there as I was getting about 50kW, then the car beside me left and I got 100kW for a minute or two until another car pulled in.
Should be more like 70 and 140 on an old v2 like Port Hope, but generally speaking this sounds like normal behaviour.

Kemptville is a v3 so it is 4 stalls per cabinet and the newer cars max out at 250kW. My 2018 Model S maxes out in the 150-160 range on those. For the most part, sharing doesn't matter on a v3, but theoretically if multiple vehicles plug in simultaneously at a low SOC and try to draw 250kW each, they will be limited to some lower amount because each cabinet usually has a limit that is less than 1mW. That scenario is quite rare however, so I've only noticed lower charging rates on a couple occasions and it hasn't been that much lower.

Reactions: XHabjab
I recorded a 252kW charge on my model Y in August right after the station opened so it is capable of full speed charging.

Attachments

• Charge 2022-08-19.png
    Charge 2022-08-19.png
    294.6 KB · Views: 75
Exactly. Combine that with even the lowly SR+ now having 438km of range and this site will be bypassed by most drivers even on the coldest of days.
Yes, but I will need this site when I go back home from my Toronto - Ottawa trips as I don't have decent charging at my destination south of Ottawa. I am lucky to get 9A at 120V. It is a different story when I leave from my home in Toronto and I can charge to 100% before leaving. But when leaving Ottawa I will have a low SOC and usually can't make it to Kingston or Gan to charge. So until Brockville is built I need at least a bit of time at Kemptville to get me to those sites. Or if I am getting good speed at Kemptville then it can get my farther - to Belleville or one of the new sites.

I continue to get poor results at this site. This is the third time I have used and I have never got anywhere near 100kW. Today my car was cold soaked overnight and the temp was -5C. I drove for about 24 km and 20 minutes to get to this site. Before leaving I selected this site as the destination so my car was preconditioning. Upon arrival I started charging at 44kW starting with an SOC of about 25%. I was there for about 30 minutes and never got higher than 50kW. When I left the battery seemed fully warm as there were no yellow bars once I started driving and the SOC was up to about 50%. But I was only getting about 42kW when I left.

On my way back to Toronto I stopped at Kingston and Belleville and started off at 124kW or better. Even after charging for a while and my SOC was well past 59% I always got way better speeds than at Kemptville.

This time I charged at a different stall than last time. Surely after 30 minutes at an SC + 20 minutes of driving with preconditioning on my battery should be fully warm, should it not.

Is it possible that older Teslas don't charge as well. My car was made exactly 8 years ago.

Is it possible that older Teslas don't charge as well.
Not sure if this is an actual question. But it's not only possible but it's an absolute certainty.

That being said, your charge speeds in this case seem lower than they should be. Caveat being that 24km and 20 minutes isn't necessarily enough to fully pre-condition a cold-soaked battery. Still, I would expect the charge speed to ramp up after supercharging for a few minutes.

Not sure if this is an actual question. But it's not only possible but it's an absolute certainty.
I was not aware of that - why is this? With my HPWC at home I can charge at 240V and 80A. I am pretty sure that new Teslas cannot do that. Is there something with V3 SCs and older Teslas where the charging is slower due to new technology?

I continue to get poor results at this site. This is the third time I have used and I have never got anywhere near 100kW. Today my car was cold soaked overnight and the temp was -5C. I drove for about 24 km and 20 minutes to get to this site. Before leaving I selected this site as the destination so my car was preconditioning. Upon arrival I started charging at 44kW starting with an SOC of about 25%. I was there for about 30 minutes and never got higher than 50kW. When I left the battery seemed fully warm as there were no yellow bars once I started driving and the SOC was up to about 50%. But I was only getting about 42kW when I left.

On my way back to Toronto I stopped at Kingston and Belleville and started off at 124kW or better. Even after charging for a while and my SOC was well past 59% I always got way better speeds than at Kemptville.

This time I charged at a different stall than last time. Surely after 30 minutes at an SC + 20 minutes of driving with preconditioning on my battery should be fully warm, should it not.

Is it possible that older Teslas don't charge as well. My car was made exactly 8 years ago.

Your battery pack is over 1,000 pounds. It takes a substantial amount of energy to heat it up from stone cold for full speed charging - something in the neighborhood of 6 kWh (obviously variable based on your pack’s actual temperature). Since your battery heater is 6 kW, it will take about an hour to come up to full temperature.

Reactions: RTPEV
Your battery pack is over 1,000 pounds. It takes a substantial amount of energy to heat it up from stone cold for full speed charging - something in the neighborhood of 6 kWh (obviously variable based on your pack’s actual temperature). Since your battery heater is 6 kW, it will take about an hour to come up to full temperature.
My car refused to even L2 charge today after venturing into the -21C void for a few hours (above freezing garage and 3.5kW did fix it eventually) . Maybe my mom's church needs to install some free L2 chargers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, but at the end of my charging session at Kemptville it would have been heating for an hour - 20 minutes driving and pre-conditioning and the supercharging time.

And this is my third visit to this site - I had similar experiences on my two previous sessions during the summer/fall so temperatures was, at most, a minor issue.