Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kennewick, WA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moving from Oregon to Minnesota and we're hitting the road tomorrow. I'll be driving the 85d and the run from The Dalles to Ritzville seems like it's cutting it close....especially given that I'll have two kids in the back seat, and about 200-300 extra pounds of moving boxes.

I don't suppose there's a chance that one of these chargers will be functional and ready to use? That complete one with the cable looks promising, but are these basically unusable until Tesla commissions the site?
Uh, check the weather. We're supposed to have 35 mph winds out of the SW, starting in the late morning. EDIT: I just checked and the weather channel says 25-30 mph WNW in The Dalles currently, so you should have plenty of tailwind. You may arrive in Ritzville with more energy that you left with.:wink: Just kidding, but seriously, with that kind of tailwind you could expect 400 mi range (as long as you don't get caught in a serious dust cloud. Be careful)!

- - - Updated - - -

A Tesla spokesperson said that (as of yesterday) it would be open within a week.
That's good news. I was at the site about two hours ago and there doesn't seem to be much progress beyond the pictures upthread. As for opening before Monday, I'd give it a 0% chance. You might get lucky and arrive just when Tesla is "testing," but I wouldn't count on anything until next week. I'm sure Skyhawk will give it another look. If he doesn't report, I may swing by again this weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Construction Update – August 15th

Site clean up is underway.
Stations are mostly assembled, and are wrapped in plastic bags
The curbing is mostly poured.
But there are a variety of punch list details, including the list from Aug 11th
· Stucco the enclosure
· Hang the doors
· Paint the equipment enclosure
· Replace asphalt that was cutout for utility access
· Strip the parking bays
· Clean up
· Landscape
· Get utility inspection
· Wait for Tesla engineer to commission the site
Add these.
· Site lighting (2 poles)
· Put up the Tesla parking signs

Stopped by – construction tape is gone, pylons remain
stopped by.JPG

View of current site status
site view.JPG

And, ...and, ...and, ...? Heading north on Tuesday the 18th, would use it next Wednesday, if available. ?

I wouldn't bet on it - in fact, I would bet against it being powered on by that point. It may be ready to go as far as installed and contractors off-site, but I have stopped by a completed station not yet commissioned before, and they won't turn the power on until the inspections are complete.

If you are really worried about Dalles/Ritzville run (understandable), maybe you should modify your route to go through Pendleton? It's not THAT far out of the way (~60 miles), and the extra driving time would be less than the time spent at a 50-amp site trying to get another 100 miles of range...You could even let the truck take the straight route, and do the detour on your own - it sounds like you are planning to overnight in Kennewick anyway, if you are leaving Tuesday but can charge there Wednesday.

I stopped by Sunday, but I'm a bit more skeptical than SkyHawk. There was still a fair amount of concrete/asphalt work to finish. There wasn't an electric meter (post was in however). I'm also guessing that they will need to re-stripe the lines (convert from angle to straight), but that's not a big deal and shouldn't slow down actually dispensing electricity. I've got another errand to run this afternoon and may stop by again, battery willing in my Leaf.

Construction Update – August 19th

Best case scenario still commissions site on Friday or Saturday. At least two more construction days are needed before inspections and commissioning. The equipment enclosure has taken much longer than expected and it looks like the last cement order wasn’t quite enough to finish the curbing.

None of the tasks seem to be big items, but it will take two days because the concrete needs to harden before the signage poles can be erected. Any further delays will push opening into next week.

Progress on my previous punchlists
· Charge stations fully assembled – DONE
· Stucco the enclosure – DONE
· Clean up - mostly complete waste loaded and ready for removal
· Landscape - mostly complete - spread river rocks around Tesla sign post
· Small concrete pour for remaining curb and 2 sign anchors – Pending
· Put up the Tesla parking signs after cement hardens - Pending
· Hang the enclosure doors - Pending
· Paint the equipment enclosure - Pending
· Replace asphalt that was cutout for utility access - Pending
· Stripe the parking bays - Pending
· Final Touchup (Clean up and landscaping) - Pending

· Pass inspections & receive permission to operation
· Commission with onsite Tesla engineer
· Erection of site lighting (2 poles) could occur post commissioning

For those not in the Pacific NW note the haze in the above photos. This is not a dirty lens. It's smoke. Lots of Washington, Idaho and Montana look just like this. We just lost 3 firefighters and injured 3 others near Winthrop and Twisp.
Wish for us cooler temperatures, less wind, and rain.... otherwise the whole tristate area will go up in flames.

Note this is the 105th anniversary of the firestorm of 1910. 2 million acres burned in TWO days.

John

I was in Chelan and Douglas County last week. It was really bad. We were boarding up my wife's family farm house that was damage by the fire. It saved by the heroic efforts of several neighbors and the fact that the siding is made of asbestos. Pretty grim country side these days.

I am so excited I came across this posting!!!! I live in Boise, ID. I am planning on taking my 2 year old 60 kwh Model S on a road trip to see the Foo Fighters at the Gorge Amphitheater on Sept. 12th with my son. I was going to go to the Ritzville supercharging station from Pendelton, OR but the trip was making me a bit nervous. With the SC station in Kennewick, this will make it super easy!!! My plan is Boise - > Baker City SC -> Pendelton SC -> Kennewick SC -> Quincy, Washington, with the same way the way back home. I realize its gonna take me a few extra hours but it will be a good weekend road trip with my son. This is great!!!

I am so excited I came across this posting!!!! I live in Boise, ID. I am planning on taking my 2 year old 60 kwh Model S on a road trip to see the Foo Fighters at the Gorge Amphitheater on Sept. 12th with my son. I was going to go to the Ritzville supercharging station from Pendelton, OR but the trip was making me a bit nervous. With the SC station in Kennewick, this will make it super easy!!! My plan is Boise - > Baker City SC -> Pendelton SC -> Kennewick SC -> Quincy, Washington, with the same way the way back home. I realize its gonna take me a few extra hours but it will be a good weekend road trip with my son. This is great!!!
Welcome to the forum. Note that if Kennewick isn't online yet, consider Ellensburg as well as Ritzville.

Also, Cave B next door to the Gorge Amphitheater has 2 HPWCs and a J1772. If you stay there, it's a no brainer. If you don't maybe you could ask nicely...

I was in Kennewick lat Monday on my way to Glacier National Park in Montana. Would have been nice to have had an SC there and glad it will be opening soon. Haze from smoke was pretty severe. Was only at Glacier two days before I decided to leave because of the increasing smoke in the air and a new fire near Essex that ended up causing Hwy 2 to be closed yesterday. Now headed to Seattle and the Olympic Peninsula. Hope to return to Glacier in the future and look forward to using the Kennewick SC!
For those not in the Pacific NW note the haze in the above photos. This is not a dirty lens. It's smoke. Lots of Washington, Idaho and Montana look just like this. We just lost 3 firefighters and injured 3 others near Winthrop and Twisp.
Wish for us cooler temperatures, less wind, and rain.... otherwise the whole tristate area will go up in flames.

Note this is the 105th anniversary of the firestorm of 1910. 2 million acres burned in TWO days.

John

Construction Update – August 21st

Close but not today and unlikely tomorrow. The completion of equipment enclosure continues to delay opening. Further delay will push opening into next week. Less than a day of focused work needed before inspections and commissioning.

Most significant change this week at Kennewick is installation of the utility power meter and posting of the construction permit for the Twin Falls site. When both are up, it SuperCharger all the way from Vancouver BC to Salt Lake City and beyond.

Progress on my previous punchlists
· Clean up - waste removal – DONE
· Landscape - spread river rocks around Tesla sign post – DONE
· Small concrete pour for remaining curb and 2 sign anchors – DONE
· Put up poles for Tesla parking signs after cement hardens – DONE
· Replace asphalt – DONE
· Final Touchup (Clean up and landscaping) – DONE
· Paint the equipment enclosure – May be done - it’ s a dark grey color
· Hang the enclosure doors - Pending
· Stripe the parking bays – Pending
· Mount Telsa parking signs – Pending
· Erection of site lighting (2 poles) – Pending

· Pass inspections & receive permission to operation
· Commission with onsite Tesla engineer

Meter
meter placed.JPG

Charging area fully enclosed by orange cones and poles
traffic cones.JPG

Enclosure has been cleaned out
enclosure is clean.JPG

One of two light pole anchor piers
light polr pier.JPG

Er, parking blocks? Otherwise, I foresee frequently damaged stanchions.

There are two big steel pipes inside that thing. They serve double duty as conduit and impact resistance. Similar pipes are used to protect the pumps in gas stations.

I don't think any SpCs have parking blocks.

I suspect part of the reason they switched from bent metal for the cowling to formed plastic is impact resistance. Does anybody know of any impacts?

There are two big steel pipes inside that thing. They serve double duty as conduit and impact resistance. Similar pipes are used to protect the pumps in gas stations.

I don't think any SpCs have parking blocks.

I suspect part of the reason they switched from bent metal for the cowling to formed plastic is impact resistance. Does anybody know of any impacts?

The newly installed SC in Boise has 8 stalls which all have parking blocks.