Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kettleman City, CA - Bernard Dr. (LIVE, 56 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drove through Kettleman this afternoon and took a few more pictures some progress made since I was last here and I caught the PGE inspector on sight doing some inspection. It doesn't appear as though the transformers are in so this much be civil related before they can final the job with the city. Getting close to being ready for Thanksgiving we will see if Tesla can make it.

PXL_20211105_231427623.jpg

PXL_20211105_231128946.jpg
PXL_20211105_231109680.jpg

Drove through Kettleman this afternoon and took a few more pictures some progress made since I was last here and I caught the PGE inspector on sight doing some inspection. It doesn't appear as though the transformers are in so this much be civil related before they can final the job with the city. Getting close to being ready for Thanksgiving we will see if Tesla can make it.

View attachment 729815
View attachment 729816View attachment 729817
Wow, usually the standup SC doesn’t go in before the asphalt is layed or the cabling is done.. but I think they MIGHT be trying to get this puppy operational before turkey day or certainly Xmas/Hannuka/Kwanaa/New years holidays.

this almost feels like a “pop-up” location vs. a permanent one - yes I know it’s going to be a perm one.

Wow, usually the standup SC doesn’t go in before the asphalt is layed or the cabling is done.. but I think they MIGHT be trying to get this puppy operational before turkey day or certainly Xmas/Hannuka/Kwanaa/New years holidays.

this almost feels like a “pop-up” location vs. a permanent one - yes I know it’s going to be a perm one.
It looks similar to what they did at Copus Road --> Supercharger - Bakersfield, CA - Copus Rd. (LIVE 30 Jun 2021, 20 V3 stalls)

Reactions: miimura

This construction sequence is normal for a dirt lot Supercharger build. Bakersfield, CA Copus Road and the Quartzsite, AZ expansion are examples like this.

Reactions: mociaf9
This construction sequence is normal for a dirt lot Supercharger build. Bakersfield, CA Copus Road and the Quartzsite, AZ expansion are examples like this.
Indeed.. as @shotgunsi noted I think they can start adding some of this in the dirt before adding the asphalt. Makes sense, probably faster, Bakersfield seemed to be a very fast start to finish time. When ppl ask, Why Bakersfield, I look at Bakersfield as the jumping off point for ROUTES EAST, where there are only a few mostly smaller SCs between the I-5 and say Flagstaff. (Okay, don’t attack me here if there is something new now between Metro Bakersfield and Flagstaff). I know it’s not optimal routing, but 20 SC at 250KW with a small detour might be better than trying to get access in Mojave, Needles, Kingman where the available SC’s are in the single digits. I worry actually about taking this route (as I did in an ICE vehicle four times last year) and wondering just how much extra time would charging the Tesla take trying to go to say Santa Fe in a Tesla vs. just renting an ICE rig. (Now that the C63 is in anothers hands. )

I’ll be heading down AFTER thanksgiving and KTL is one of my goto spots heading south. I sure hope they don’t close the other location with the restrooms and the baristas.
I highly doubt they would close the original location. This crossing of the 5 and 41 freeway is too critical for people traveling I only expect this site to expand even more in the future.

One thing that is perplexing to me is there is no Electrify America or other non tesla sites here I feel bad for non tesla EV users.

Drove by again this morning heading to San Luis Obispo and the PGE equipment is in and the site looks like it is grated and ready for pavement to be added. I am pretty sure if PGE is complete with there work Tesla will have this ready for Thanksgiving.

View attachment 735395

View attachment 735396

View attachment 735397

View attachment 735398

Looking close. Crossing my fingers this is up, driving to LA after thanksgiving as well. It’s probably going to be general madness.

Once again I'm really surprised they didn't go with any solar on this site. It would be a great location to put a massive canopy over the whole place. I know from a power standpoint it doesn't really contribute that much, but seeing massive solar and EV chargers (plus the shade) just looks.... Proper.

Charging here in summer will be toasty.

Once again I'm really surprised they didn't go with any solar on this site. It would be a great location to put a massive canopy over the whole place. I know from a power standpoint it doesn't really contribute that much, but seeing massive solar and EV chargers (plus the shade) just looks.... Proper.

Charging here in summer will be toasty.
Probably a rush job for the thanksgiving crush.