Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kettleman City, CA - Bernard Dr. (LIVE, 56 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting to the supercharger isn't hard. Knowing if it's open or not isn't hard. It's adding them, then taking them away that makes planning hard. Stopping at busy Tejon is a pain when Corpus is a better, use up mileage to add more quickly and get further in my journey home, spot. Similar to Kettleman. I'd rather stop at the lower one near food, than the isolated one.
the new tejon supercharger is busy?

Site is powered down, still missing a powerpak, and still not paved.

Attachments

• 20220309_135720.jpg
    20220309_135720.jpg
    525.8 KB · Views: 106
  • 20220309_135450.jpg
    20220309_135450.jpg
    506.9 KB · Views: 77
@Chuq - Until Bakersfield - Copus Rd and Kettleman City - Bernard Dr are open 24/7 all the time, would it be possible to change the icon on Supercharge.info to the Limited Hours icon with a note in the text to indicate that they are open intermittently. This would be helpful to those Supercharger hunters from out of state who use Supercharge.info for trip planning.

I think it would be more accurate to mark them as temporarily closed until it actually reopens (my guess is around Memorial Day Weekend). Marking it as limited hours gives the false impression that it's sometimes open, which it hasn't been in quite some time.
Was opened just last month for President's day weekend (see post #188). I remember seeing it live on the nav as well.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
Are these "intermittent hours of operation" actual or empirical? So, maybe today around 2:00 PM the site is open but at 4:30, it is closed, while tomorrow it could be mothballed all day sort of thing?

In other words, you pays your money, and you takes your chances?

@Chuq - Until Bakersfield - Copus Rd and Kettleman City - Bernard Dr are open 24/7 all the time, would it be possible to change the icon on Supercharge.info to the Limited Hours icon with a note in the text to indicate that they are open intermittently. This would be helpful to those Supercharger hunters from out of state who use Supercharge.info for trip planning.
Done, although to be fair I don't really understand the point.

Can't you just rely on the car for the open info?

Reactions: JSergeant
Are these "intermittent hours of operation" actual or empirical? So, maybe today around 2:00 PM the site is open but at 4:30, it is closed, while tomorrow it could be mothballed all day sort of thing?

In other words, you pays your money, and you takes your chances?

They‘ve been opening it for busy travel weekends. It doesn’t open and close throughout the course of a day.

Done, although to be fair I don't really understand the point.

Can't you just rely on the car for the open info?
Thanks Marco.

The point is that if you are in New Jersey planning a trip to California to visit 'new' Superchargers (amongst other things), and the two you haven't yet visited are Bakersfield - Copus Rd and Kettleman City - Bernard Dr, which according to Supercharge.info are live and open, you would plan your itinerary to take this route. You are unlikely to check the car navigation until you are very close, and then you find they are Temporarily Closed. If you had known this you would have planned a different route entirely. [I had exactly that happen back in January.]

Thanks Marco.

The point is that if you are in New Jersey planning a trip to California to visit 'new' Superchargers (amongst other things), and the two you haven't yet visited are Bakersfield - Copus Rd and Kettleman City - Bernard Dr, which according to Supercharge.info are live and open, you would plan your itinerary to take this route. You are unlikely to check the car navigation until you are very close, and then you find they are Temporarily Closed. If you had known this you would have planned a different route entirely. [I had exactly that happen back in January.]
There is another supercharger literally a 1 minute drive away. Other than holiday, when there is a wait for one of the 40 other chargers, this isn't an inconvenience at all.

There is another supercharger literally a 1 minute drive away. Other than holiday, when there is a wait for one of the 40 other chargers, this isn't an inconvenience at all.
Golfpilot,

You missed the nature of the post that you quoted from JSergeant.

JSergeant, like about a hundred of us or so have this friendly little competition among us to see who can visit the most different Superchargers across the globe. There are about twenty five who are all in with this sport while the rest are occasional participants. It is not unheard of for a participant to take a road trip far away and decide to bag dozens of new locations (to that person; not necessarily new to Tesla). So, if this hypothetical participant decided to take a 90-minute detour off US101 to grab this new-to-him site, he would be very disappointed and frustrated to find out that it is not in operation upon his arrival. The fact that the original site with 40 stalls and a lounge is open across the highway is irrelevant, because he already visited it in the past. Accordingly, this person will have to plan to visit this spot in the future or forever scrub it from his goals.

We all realize that this is folly and whimsy, but everyone needs a hobby. 🙃

Especially after you retire
Eggs-actly.

Some retirees go forth and conquer Supercharger locations with undue celerity; it is a race to grab a "first" charge immediately after it is open, instead of waiting until later.

Others take things in stride and have more of a mañana attitude while we pursue other endeavors. We are a diverse bunch!

So for people interested in this Superchargers visited competition, you can see the thread below (further discussion should probably go to that thread). New participants are always welcome, just add a post with your current list of Superchargers and visit dates, and someone will get you set up:

Bruce.

Just an FYI: I drove by today it did not show up on the Nav so I think the power was off. I didn’t see any cars there. Still not paved.

If I can renew my impassioned entreaty, Bruce: Intermittent service is misleading. This spot has not been active to my knowledge since a holiday weekend many, many weeks ago. In fact, I would submit to you this location has now been turned off for more days than it has been operational since Tesla threw the switch in the fourth quarter.

If we subscribe to the theory that Tesla will turn this on during periods of anticipated high travel volume, then we might see it working around Good Friday/Easter, then shut off until Memorial Day weekend. After that who knows? Maybe it will stay open during the summer, or maybe it will be open on weekends only through Labor Day when Tesla once again darkens the location.

I'd opt for a less sanguine description. Perhaps my jocular "mostly closed" is not right, either. A compromise might be "Check navigation screen to see if open."

If I can renew my impassioned entreaty, Bruce: Intermittent service is misleading. This spot has not been active to my knowledge since a holiday weekend many, many weeks ago. In fact, I would submit to you this location has now been turned off for more days than it has been operational since Tesla threw the switch in the fourth quarter.

If we subscribe to the theory that Tesla will turn this on during periods of anticipated high travel volume, then we might see it working around Good Friday/Easter, then shut off until Memorial Day weekend. After that who knows? Maybe it will stay open during the summer, or maybe it will be open on weekends only through Labor Day when Tesla once again darkens the location.

I'd opt for a less sanguine description. Perhaps my jocular "mostly closed" is not right, either. A compromise might be "Check navigation screen to see if open."

OK

Bruce.

Reactions: cpa