Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kettleman City, CA (LIVE 15 Nov 2017, 24 V2 + 16 V3 stalls, lounge)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, more pics - these from Friday evening. Solar canopy racking mostly done - they were being painted while I was there. Some of the power cabinets are in. Looks like they are set to put in lots of conduit. External work on Lounge is mostly done. Interior still nothing but bare framing, looks like the bathrooms are at the same point.

box label.jpg conduit.jpg power company truck.jpg canopy pano.jpg cabinets.jpg lounge narrow.jpg canopies front.jpg

Excellent point about the solar production capacity vs. Supercharging demand.

To satisfy my curiosity, I played around a little bit with NREL's PVwatts calculator. If Tesla covered every square foot of property with solar panels, their max production would be some 630 kW. Based on conceptual designs and placement of those large steel beams, I think we can expect a solar system in the 100 kW - 150 kW neighborhood. While it's a significant amount of power, it's still only a small fraction of what this site is capable of consuming.

edit: based on that great drone footage, it appears that they're going to do four (or five, with the western array being split in half) separate solar arrays. I estimate the one closest to the building being 40-50 kW, the one in the middle of the lot being 80-100 kW, the one along the south end of the lot being 40-50 kW, and the one (or two) along the western lot line being 80-100 kW. This system could end up being 200-300 kW depending on orientation. :eek:
Here is a random data point to add to this discussion: at the Gilroy Supercharger this week, I happened to see the power meter for the whole site (it is at the corner of the enclosure). It was displaying usage around 200 kW.
There were probably 5 cars charging, including mine that was pulling about 80 kW at the time. No clue about how long the other cars had been there, but clearly, they were not pulling as much power as mine was.
Am sure solar can help, especially for mid-day charging where the site will rarely be full. And batteries will help offset the peaks of new cars with low SOCs showing up.

Tesla supercharging sites of this magnitude are named by Tesla as 'Megachargers. We'll have two megachargers once this site and Baker CA are complete. Another new word for our Tesla lexicon. As I stated in another thread, I don't know what quantifies a site as a mega charger. I believe that Tesla just wanted a one word name for these monstrous beauties with their Tesla lounges etc. 'Megachargers' works for me:).

Elon Musk called them Mega Superchargers because of the lounge area.
He actually said, "We’ll also be experimenting with our first, I dunno what you’d call it, mega Supercharger location, like really big supercharger location with a bunch of amenities so we’re gonna unveil the first of those relatively soon." Emphasis mine.

Reactions: ohmman
Post 207
I stand corrected. I can't find my source article where Tesla shortened the name to Megachargers from MegaSupercharging Stations. As I've re-read and re-read several articles, they all state MegaSupercharging Stations. Hummm.... 9/27/2017 Andrew Brady's article @ Motoringresearch.com also uses MegaSupercharging Stations.
I recall reading recently, Tesla reducing the mouthful to a single word, but alas it may be my gray matter catching up with me! Once again, I stand correctedo_O!

Megachargers or MegaSuperchargers. I like them both. Either one will work for me. I'm just mega happy that Kettleman is getting one. Life with my Model S and soon Model 3 will be getting easier and easier and easier. Thank you all for sharing the pictures and insights. What a forum!

Post 207
I stand corrected. I can't find my source article where Tesla shortened the name to Megachargers from MegaSupercharging Stations. As I've re-read and re-read several articles, they all state MegaSupercharging Stations. Hummm.... 9/27/2017 Andrew Brady's article @ Motoringresearch.com also uses MegaSupercharging Stations.
I recall reading recently, Tesla reducing the mouthful to a single word, but alas it may be my gray matter catching up with me! Once again, I stand correctedo_O!

I think this is the article you are thinking about about:

Tesla wants to build special charging stations that sell food and coffee — and it could be a huge opportunity

Quote:

As Tesla expands its Supercharger network, the automaker intends to up its game, building higher-end, retail-rich locations that CEO Elon Musk has called "Mega Superchargers" but that we'll call just Megachargers.

End quote.

He actually said, "We’ll also be experimenting with our first, I dunno what you’d call it, mega Supercharger location, like really big supercharger location with a bunch of amenities so we’re gonna unveil the first of those relatively soon." Emphasis mine.
I think this is the article you are thinking about about:
Tesla wants to build special charging stations that sell food and coffee — and it could be a huge opportunity
Quote"As Tesla expands its Supercharger network, the automaker intends to up its game, building higher-end, retail-rich locations that CEO Elon Musk has called "Mega Superchargers" but that we'll call just Megachargers." End quote.
Thanks for the references. So it appears that Elon made an off-the-cuff remark using the word "mega", as in "like really big" and that was turned into "Tesla is calling them "Megachargers" by someone else.

Not an official Tesla marketing term. But feel free to call them whatever you want. ;)