Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kettleman City, CA (LIVE 15 Nov 2017, 24 V2 + 16 V3 stalls, lounge)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel that way about reporting on the chargers we've visited if there's a problem or such. Always appreciated the info and education from owners on here. This Supercharger forum area is really fabulous and easily searchable and love all the photos.

Yep. I think it's part of the TMC community being helpful and looking out for each other. It's kind of like PIREPs but for EVs. :)

I'm not sure when I'd have a need to actually use the Kettleman City Supercharger, but I wouldn't rule out a drive just to see it once it's up. That's not crazy is it?

Bruce.

That's not crazy is it?
Never!

We ought to do a TMC meet up there. And of course, vacate chargers for travelers. The lounge would turn into a raging party of epic proportions. By which I mean a bunch of nerds gently arguing about the charge rate discrepancies between the stalls and vehicles.

We briefly talked about it too. Kind of like a landmark first in this area. But we'd need to charge there probably and seems kind of silly to just go there to charge especially given the high traffic area for other Teslas needing to travel down I-5. Don't think there is much out that way to see anyway is there?

BTW understand this area gets tulle fog during the late fall/winter.

Last edited:
Not to start any rumors or anything, but if they're showing it in coordination with the semi reveal, one wonders if there's not some kind of semi facility at one or both of these locations. Seems unlikely, but the timing does make me wonder.

I'm more familiar with Baker, but it would seem both (Kettleman and Baker) would be more accommodating for Semi's than their adjacent Superchargers. For Baker it would be Primm or Barstow (Yermo also doesn't look like it will be good for Semi's too), both would not work well with Semis with Trailers. Baker as a town/exit is ideally oriented for Semis. We shall see!

I'm pretty sure the Kettleman City, SuperCharger station should be open by this week, or weekend. Here are some pics I took. Looking pretty darn awesome! Note the coffee!! :) yes! and the strangely slower chargers. Could this be for the older roadster?

IMG_0792.jpg
IMG_0804.jpg
IMG_0805.png
IMG_0810.jpg
IMG_0811.jpg
IMG_0819.jpg

@justinmk3 thanks for the great photos. That HPWC could be useful to me someday if I were to ever drive my Roadster on (the) I5.

This site certainly does look completed. I will be there this afternoon and won’t plan on charging but will definitely stop and walk around. It is likely to end up being the only place I charge in that region of the Central Valley when I’m not towing.

It’s interesting to note the lack of striping around the charging stalls. I assume that will be done, but it isn’t really necessary. To charge you have to position your car within a very specific area. Painting lines on the concrete won’t effect where people park to charge.

It does seem possible that this site will be promoted during the Tesla Truck event this Wednesday evening as an example of the future of Supercharger sites. It would be cool for Elon to introduce it and then they go to a live video from the site with a Tesla employee giving a brief tour.

It’s not open as
@ecarfan please try to charge, if possible, as I'm heading down to LA on Friday and would skip Harris Ranch and charge in Kettleman if it's functional.
of Tuesday morning

Attachments

• 2CF23C05-3895-46E5-A83D-FBB1D9491FBD.jpeg
    2CF23C05-3895-46E5-A83D-FBB1D9491FBD.jpeg
    311.1 KB · Views: 109
  • DC1C237A-299A-4358-9BA0-D678420AA334.jpeg
    DC1C237A-299A-4358-9BA0-D678420AA334.jpeg
    327.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 173E1575-402C-4ABA-87FA-5959D7A6CEB9.jpeg
    173E1575-402C-4ABA-87FA-5959D7A6CEB9.jpeg
    352.9 KB · Views: 105
  • 62FEB5E1-F11E-4FB1-B779-A174275DACB7.jpeg
    62FEB5E1-F11E-4FB1-B779-A174275DACB7.jpeg
    395.4 KB · Views: 112
We ought to do a TMC meet up there. And of course, vacate chargers for travelers. The lounge would turn into a raging party of epic proportions. By which I mean a bunch of nerds gently arguing about the charge rate discrepancies between the stalls and vehicles.

And someone would be in the parking area taking a car apart...

Sounds like my kind of get-together! :D

Sounds like my kind of get-together! :D
Back in 2009 I was invited by Toyota to go to the reveal of the 3rd generation Prius. There was a group of about 30 or so of us that go to put out hands on a few pre-production cars, ask the VP of Engineering questions, and generally mingle amongst ourselves. It was not long until someone broke out a socket set and started taking things apart to see what improvements had really been made under the plastic covers and hidden behind carpeted panels...

Last edited: