Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kettleman City, CA (LIVE 15 Nov 2017, 24 V2 + 16 V3 stalls, lounge)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(Poisson arrival process of Tesla’s into a single queue with 40 servers, not sure what to say about the service time...wish I could remember all of my queueing theory and stochastic processes from grad school.)
We need the arrival rate as well as the average service rate. Service rate could be estimated, but I have no idea how one would approximate arrival rate without data from Tesla. I'm also unsure of whether this could be modeled as a M/M/1 process or would need to be a M/M/c type process with 40 servers handling a single queue.

I really loved this stuff in school.. but there's an incredible amount of rust in the way of those memories..

Saw you videoing the line at Kettleman SuperCharger and spoke to you at the Gustine SuperCharger.

Good job on the video report and thank you.
Arrived at Kettleman SuperCharger with no line and within a few minutes, this line as seen in the video for formed. Counted at least 9 possibly 10 Teslas waited at the time of the video. As we left, additional Teslas formed that reached pass the corner and saw several Teslas heading to line up before we reached I-5.

Saw 1 Tesla coming in the other access (should be an exit, did not want to call it an entrance). This could cause a conflict between Tesla Owners.

Gustine was interesting. Chargers 3A/B were broken. I assumed the etiquette is that you go to the front of the line when you unplug from a broken charger, but it was difficult communicating that to other waiting owners.
When I did get a working charger I had to inform each successive owner that 3 was not working. M3s seemed to have better success than Xs. Maybe my older battery infrastructure.
Besides that, spent my charging time having my 17 y.o. nephew help me post that video to TMC.
We left with only an 8% buffer, but since we were headed home into the Bay Area with lots of other charging options I didn't want other owners to wait longer.
Kettleman City was bonkers. That Shell station was always my stop when I drove an ICE from The Bay to L.A. I was happy to be able to make the same stop in my EV. This was my 6th time there and had never seen it like that full before.
Nice to have met you. I wanted your color for my X, but the family talked me into red. You have a unicorn.

I was there around the time when that video was filmed. The line was 6 cars deep from when I arrived until I left. About 30 minutes. There was an attendant guiding the cars. 3 or 4 stations were down completely. I timed the time it would take the 6th car to reach a charger which was about 10 minutes. Things flowed pretty smoothly for as busy as it was.

The attendant did tell me that 1 station was down. I was not aware that it was so many. After charging I moved my car to a non charging spot near her as my kids were playing Jenga and didn't want to leave. Who's ever heard of kids not wanting to leave a gas station.

I'm curious about this. Were there lineups at the other nearby superchargers as well?

I get that everyone wants to visit the lounge at Kettleman, but if you're in a hurry, it shouldn't be too difficult to avoid if you want to.

I planned to visit the lounge. I purposely skipped Tejon Ranch. It was 3/4 filled, but very difficult to leave there and get northbound during peak time. My car recommended Bakersfield (Only then1 gas station and very little shade) which showed 3 empty, but I pushed it to Buttonwillow which showed 4 slots open. The line was 4 deep when I arrived, and many headed north were doing the same as me. Just getting enough to get to Kettleman City. Even the Kettleman City exit was backed up .25 miles onto I-5. It's a very popular stop for ICE and EV.

Even the Kettleman City exit was backed up .25 miles onto I-5. It's a very popular stop for ICE and EV.

yes, getting off at this exit can take a lot of time regardless if one is going to the SC or Gas stations (or just starbucks).. and MAN the left turn to the SC can take FA EVAH!. Easily 5+ minutes. I've been here 2-3 times and at this point, i try and time the light and if I'm going to be stuck there, I head to the Starbucks first and then across the main road to the SC.. or sometimes just go to the right lane on the eastbound road, turn right towards the starbucks, and then 180 back across the eastbound road to the SC. There are a lot of trucks moving east and west on the main route, so I can understand why the light for protected left or cross takes so long. Still, it's not quick.

yes, getting off at this exit can take a lot of time regardless if one is going to the SC or Gas stations (or just starbucks).. and MAN the left turn to the SC can take FA EVAH!. Easily 5+ minutes. I've been here 2-3 times and at this point, i try and time the light and if I'm going to be stuck there, I head to the Starbucks first and then across the main road to the SC.. or sometimes just go to the right lane on the eastbound road, turn right towards the starbucks, and then 180 back across the eastbound road to the SC. There are a lot of trucks moving east and west on the main route, so I can understand why the light for protected left or cross takes so long. Still, it's not quick.

It is slow, but first time seeing it this busy. Did consider that move of turing right going behind Starbucks then crossing Hwy 41 east -> west. Nice to know it might actually get me to the SC faster.

I'm not a fan of subverting typical traffic flow just to get ahead of other people, but one workaround that ends up benefiting everyone is to continue north on 41 through the light if you're going to miss the left arrow, or if you're on the east side of the intersection coming from in-n-out, Bravo, Starbucks, etc., turn right/north (obviously, only if the light is red) onto 41. Then you go up 41 a couple hundred yards or so and turn left/west at the Valero which swings you back around past the Carls Jr. The left hand turn across 41 usually isn't too difficult as there's significantly less commotion north of the light.

As we've discussed upthread, this is at best an unsubstantiated theory. Statistically (to say nothing about reality), avoiding a crowded KC will be explicitly difficult.
You don't really explain anything here. What do you mean?

It is possible to look for less crowded superchargers in the Nav. There are many in the area. The post above about someone skipping Bakersfield because he didn't like the amenities even though it had a few open stalls is a good example.

You don't really explain anything here. What do you mean?

Supercharger - Kettleman City, CA (LIVE 15 Nov 2017, 40 stalls and a lounge)

It is possible to look for less crowded superchargers in the Nav. There are many in the area.

On crowded days, that thesis is flawed. On crowded days, you're statistically better off going to KC over the smaller sites on the 5, especially button, baker, and Gustine.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
My daughter and I were taking her Mazda back to the bay area and stopped there between 12:15 and 1:15. I think part of the problem (at least at the time) was the fact that 41 was shutdown both directions about 1/4 mile east with a rollover and the tow truck blocking all lanes. Everything was completely fouled up in all directions. Took us 20 minutes just to get out of the In-n-Out parking lot.

Reactions: Dadiggaman

On crowded days, that thesis is flawed. On crowded days, you're statistically better off going to KC over the smaller sites on the 5, especially button, baker, and Gustine.

I agree. On crowded, busy holidays in CA the in car Supercharger map can't keep up with real time. I did bypass Bakersfield, 'cuz it sucks. As I passed it, Buttonwillow was showing 2-3 empty spaces. Buttonwillow is 6 miles (9 minutes) further north than Bakersfield and when I arrived the line was 3 Tesla deep. I left Bottonwillow with Kettleman City showing 19 free spots. Its 55 miles (45 minutes) further north. I arrived with 7 free spot and 15 minutes later it was beyond capacity. Range limits, bladder limits, and sometimes more desirable supercharger stations means ya gotta wait in line.

• Informative
Reactions: Araman0
Gustine was interesting. Chargers 3A/B were broken. I assumed the etiquette is that you go to the front of the line when you unplug from a broken charger, but it was difficult communicating that to other waiting owners.
When I did get a working charger I had to inform each successive owner that 3 was not working. M3s seemed to have better success than Xs. Maybe my older battery infrastructure.
Besides that, spent my charging time having my 17 y.o. nephew help me post that video to TMC.
We left with only an 8% buffer, but since we were headed home into the Bay Area with lots of other charging options I didn't want other owners to wait longer.
Kettleman City was bonkers. That Shell station was always my stop when I drove an ICE from The Bay to L.A. I was happy to be able to make the same stop in my EV. This was my 6th time there and had never seen it like that full before.
Nice to have met you. I wanted your color for my X, but the family talked me into red. You have a unicorn.
I stopped at gustine as well at about 6 pm yesterday. There were two empty slots when I arrived and I and another car filled them in. I charged for 10 minutes. In those 10 minutes, 6 teslas arrived and the station went from a few empty slots to a line of 6.

Gustine is pretty important for many Teslas with 200-250 miles of range if driving north on I-5. There's no way to make it further north unless one would stop at Manteca which is out of the way.

Reactions: Dadiggaman
Tesla should put a little more effort into fixing broken chargers more quickly. The same chargers that were broken at kettleman on the 4th were still broken on the 7th.

What surprised me, the 80% limit wasn't suggested or enforced yesterday by the car or app.

Reactions: logan
Tesla should put a little more effort into fixing broken chargers more quickly. The same chargers that were broken at kettleman on the 4th were still broken on the 7th.
At a 40 stall supercharger which might reach full capacity on 15 days a year, Tesla should spend exactly zero time fixing individual broken chargers. Monthly maintenance where they go through and fix any broken stalls is probably more often than is really needed. Then, in addition, they should go through in preparation for one of the very rare days when the station approaches capacity to be sure all stalls are working. The rest of the time, a few out of order stalls doesn't really have any appreciable impact.

I see we have disagreed rather consistently over the course of this thread :)

I won't continue to beat a dead horse, but it's 262 miles from Santa Clarita to Casa de Fruta and neither of those sites has ever been full as far as I am aware. The average Tesla driver has a triple digit IQ so I'm going to assume they can connect the dots.

Reactions: logan and KJD

What surprised me, the 80% limit wasn't suggested or enforced yesterday by the car or app.
I get/got the limit notice several times on the app. It said, "this SC has a 100% charge limit, if you need to charge more than that you can adjust in the app".. silly rabbit.