Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kettleman City, CA (LIVE 15 Nov 2017, 24 V2 + 16 V3 stalls, lounge)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Worth showing how far we have come. This is Holiday Christmas travel Dec 20 2017. We were the only car there between 7-8 PM. The good ole days!

CBDEB4D7-4D2C-4AF7-A3AB-F1106E08351A.jpeg

but they might have access to a larger electrical feed from the grid, which could allow them to upgrade the rest of the Superchargers to V3.

They don't even need to rely on a larger grid feed. Upgrading all stalls to V3 would still result in faster charging for many, since it would shift the bottleneck from each pair of stalls to the entire site.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV
They’re out of space for additional stalls but they might have access to a larger electrical feed from the grid, which could allow them to upgrade the rest of the Superchargers to V3. That would increase throughput during busy travel days.

Elon did talk about adding an on-site Restaurant to a Supercharging site so I'm wondering if Kettleman will be it.

The V3 chargers can certainly increase throughput during busy travel days, but it's not going to eliminate waiting. So the goal should be to make the waiting more convenient.

So if it was me I'd do three things.

Convert V2 chargers to V3.
Add a Restaurant nearby if possible.
Add a free valet service for peak travel days

Reactions: goldengate
They don't even need to rely on a larger grid feed. Upgrading all stalls to V3 would still result in faster charging for many, since it would shift the bottleneck from each pair of stalls to the entire site.

Yes, but if the entire site is full, it’s probably at the limit of the grid transformer.

If Kettleman is served by a 3 MW transformer, its average charge rate is ~75 kW per vehicle. If they bump it up to 5 MW, the average charge rate increases to ~125 kW per vehicle.

Historically, 8 stall Superchargers have been fed by 500 kVA transformers. New 8 stall V3 sites are being fed by 1,000 kVA transformers.

94A5A411-CB20-4042-BCAC-6A9468E7DD42.jpeg
Not sure why someone would disagree with me, but this is what it looked like before noon.

After I was done the place was packed with 7 cars lining up. They had to send someone out from the coffee shop inside to manage the cars.

The gas stations across the street were full and difficult for cars to move so I walked across to McDonalds.

I didn’t have to wait at any charging stations from LA to SF or SF back to LA. I really didn’t want people to know but early birds get the worms. I left at 8am to travel.

Last edited:
I was excited to stop by today on a roadtrip down to palm springs from the bay area. Along the route I was checking how many chargers were in use, it was between 3-5 in use at any given time from about 08:00-10:00 PST. I thought for SURE they would be all the 250kW chargers but when I got there not a SINGLE "these can provide 250kW" chargers were in use. Odd, and there were a few P100/P85 charging. Maybe people dont KNOW yet and don't really see the signs

Anyway, plugged in at about 8% SOC and within 2 minutes was at 246kW and charging at 1045mph. SWEET! We did our usual walk down to the Starbucks across the street and back, rest room and to the car. Overall 20 minutes from start to finish and the car added 230 MILES! Heaven, this is how it should work. It had indeed tapered down to 450mph once it got to about 50% SOC, but still it was loading. Our plan was just to go to Tejon Ranch and charge there for another 10 min (should be 150kW, but most were only giving 72kW) and then on to our destination.

I love these 250kWh chargers, they really are a game changer.