Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kettleman City, CA (LIVE 15 Nov 2017, 24 V2 + 16 V3 stalls, lounge)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is incorrect. A 2012 S85 has a max charging rate of 120kW, if memory serves (I welcome feedback on that).
Is that not correct?
An anecdote from last week. I pulled my dinosaur 2012 S85 into a V2 stall to charge. The paired stall was empty.

The Tesla attendant got out of his car and came up to me to tell me I can charge faster if I moved over to one of the v3 stalls and he gestured at the new row which was about half occupied.

This goes to show that not only can we no longer expect the average Tesla owner to know whether their car can charge at v2 or v3 speeds, but we can’t even expect all Tesla employees to know.

I ran into a similar situation at the Bellevue showroom where a Tesla employee tried to tell me the new Model S’s can take the full 250 kw speed of v3 chargers.

Furthermore, our older battery packs have been throttled even lower via software update after some of the Model S battery fires of previous years. The theory is that there is something different about the battery chemistry of the first generation S batteries that introduces a vulnerability while supercharging.

Now we are off topic, but the S & X is limited by the 18650 based battery packs, vs the newer and, apparently superior 2170 cells in the Model 3 (and Y) packs.
Now we’re definitely off topic, but this is pure speculation and there are a lot of other reasons why the S/X might be limited that have nothing to do with the cell dimensions (pack architecture, cooling, charging port/bus amperage limitations, etc etc etc).

The 250KW chargers are labeled on the columns of the canopy. The signs are a bit small so a lot of owners probably never noticed it. I just charged there last week and a lot of them were empty. They are located closer to the Carl's Jr side and most owners seem to enter from the east entrance, not the north entrance. If you turn into the north entrance, they are directly on your right side. I think there are approximately 10 chargers.

I was able to charge at around 225KW with about 10% battery capacity left. Took me about 20 minutes or so to get up to 70-80%.

• Helpful
Reactions: e-FTW
Great, thanks for the quick reply. I'll be in a bit of a hurry on this trip so having info upfront and not spending time hunting around when we're trying to make it to an appointment for my wife will make a difference.

IIRC the source I found (maybe the map in the car?) says there are 14x 250kW.

(also, her appointment is like 3 miles from the Santa Clarita supercharger.. perfect!)

How many people looked at the plug behind the coffee bar and thought “charge port.” LOL

379DE3DC-9DAB-42B3-BDB5-106CAFF64C7A.jpeg

How many people looked at the plug behind the coffee bar and thought “charge port.” LOL

View attachment 509593
Haha. That reminds me of the days of my 2012 RAV4EV (120 mile range) when I did look at every plug that way. Today, when I am on an overnight trip to LA in my Model 3 I do charge at the HPWC near the front door. That power is free and I can take a nap without worrying about idle charges if I am in deep slumber.

Reactions: EVCarGUy
FYI, I have charged here at the v3 and was able to get close to 200 Kwh. I have a 2016 Model S. I would not be surprised if the 2020 Raven models can do better than 200 Kwh... would love to see some real world results.
Interesting... I charged my March MCU2 HW3 2018 Model S100D on 12/20/19 there at the V3 chargers and it didn’t get above 150.

Interesting... I charged my March MCU2 HW3 2018 Model S100D on 12/20/19 there at the V3 chargers and it didn’t get above 150.
The v3 ones are on the hill, with the thinner cables, but assuming you know that. Also, your state of charge has to be low. But yeah, I did it twice right before thanksgiving weekend... once on teh way up and once on teh way back. I was surprised as well, so took a few photos.

The v3 ones are on the hill, with the thinner cables, but assuming you know that. Also, your state of charge has to be low. But yeah, I did it twice right before thanksgiving weekend... once on teh way up and once on teh way back. I was surprised as well, so took a few photos.
Can you post a picture or two? I'd heard that some Ravens could charge up to 200 kW but haven't heard of any 2016-2018 cars that have charged at that rate. I've hit 150 kW on my 2017 S100D on road trips but only have one v3 Supercharge so far and with my SoC and battery temp, I was only able to get 75 kW.

Can you post a picture or two? I'd heard that some Ravens could charge up to 200 kW but haven't heard of any 2016-2018 cars that have charged at that rate. I've hit 150 kW on my 2017 S100D on road trips but only have one v3 Supercharge so far and with my SoC and battery temp, I was only able to get 75 kW.

Here you go. Not as close to 200 as I was remembering. If I recall, It did get up to 188-ish at one point, and then I snapped a picture at 183 kwh. Again, I did get in the 180's on the way down to San Diego and on the way back, so on two separate days about 4 days away from each other. Also, this was one of the first days it was open at Kettleman, so not sure if it was before they made any tweaks to the software/hardware/applied other limits. I was shocked because this is a relatively new car for me, and I was used to my Wife's 2016 Model X which has been capped at 90 Kwh for awhile now.

Attachments

• kettleman.jpg
    kettleman.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 84