Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kettleman City, CA (LIVE 15 Nov 2017, 24 V2 + 16 V3 stalls, lounge)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The question is does it charge at 180kw for more than 2 minutes
Mine did. You can see my screen shot said 25%. I started with about 8%, and it ramped up fairly quickly. The taper wasen't super fast. I don't have the exact details, but I literally ran to subway, ordered a 10 inch, spent about 10 minutes wolfing it down, and ran back and my car was ready to go. For sure the fastest I have ever experienced...

I did a roadtrip in my 3 from the bay area to Santa Clarita and back in one day (twice now, heh).

I found the 250kW chargers to be a useless party trick. Car had horrible efficiency on the way down; low 40s ambient temps i guess was the reason. Took virtually all 310mi of range to go like 188mi. Rolled in on 25mi left. Car didn't precondition -- maybe due to ambient temps, maybe due to low SoC. So it charged mostly in the 120-130kW range for awhile before slowing into the 80s way faster than I expected.

I don't supercharge much so it was a surprise. Looked up the charge curves while I waited, and it made more sense.

Espresso bar was closed, too early in the morning (7:30ish)

On the way home, tried it again, got there with too MUCH SoC remaining, again, slow charge, no real benefit from v3. At least I got my coffee.

Made it home with like 6mi left.

Lesson learned, now I just use Harris Ranch, it's a much better halfway point for us.

Car had horrible efficiency on the way down; low 40s ambient temps i guess was the reason. Took virtually all 310mi of range to go like 188mi. Rolled in on 25mi left.

I did the SF -> Kettleman City trip nonstop twice.

First time, my car used 303 RM even though temps were around 80ºF. Average speed was 81mph though, so that was likely the reason.

Second time, my car used 257 RM with temps in the mid-70's. Average speed was a more reasonable 75mph, so a good amount less energy used.

Sadly, both times I did this was last summer, before the V3 chargers were in place, so I never got to test higher levels of charging there.

Does anyone know if Tesla will keep the lounge open during California's Stay-At-Home directive? We have to be traveling to get a relative to a safe location and need restroom access. My hope is that the lounge will remain open for at least the restrooms, but am concerned.

Does anyone know if Tesla will keep the lounge open during California's Stay-At-Home directive? We have to be traveling to get a relative to a safe location and need restroom access. My hope is that the lounge will remain open for at least the restrooms, but am concerned.

This location is accessed with a code you’ll see on your Nav screen, so you should be able to still go inside the building.
The only question is, what state will the restrooms be in, if no one is there to clean them..
However I doubt they would be abandoned, as the gas stations are staying open (which I assume include their restrooms) and a supercharger is the electrical equivalent of a gas station.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
This location is accessed with a code you’ll see on your Nav screen, so you should be able to still go inside the building.
The only question is, what state will the restrooms be in, if no one is there to clean them..
However I doubt they would be abandoned, as the gas stations are staying open (which I assume include their restrooms) and a supercharger is the electrical equivalent of a gas station.

Yeah, you hit on the meat of my concern- restrooms. I’ll have an elderly relative with me. If Tesla does keep,the lounge open, then Kettleman City will probably be the least of my concerns, as I will need to stop at other SpCs that won’t have a lot of similar services.

The difference is most gas stations don’t have eating areas. The lounge serves food and drink as well. This would be ok if the food was take-out which a barista could enforce. But at night, it’s possible the lounge will actually be closed because of food offered in the eating area.

I could be completely wrong, but those are my thoughts on it.

while this lounge may or may not be open (it is coded and I've been there "after hours" when nobody was inside. The starbucks across the street should be open (albeit on reduced hours so check the app) and their bathrooms and services should be available

• Informative
Reactions: K3Man
while this lounge may or may not be open (it is coded and I've been there "after hours" when nobody was inside. The starbucks across the street should be open (albeit on reduced hours so check the app) and their bathrooms and services should be available

Well, that’s also a big point of interest with our Governor’s order yesterday directing everyone in the state to stay at home except for critical businesses. Please correct me if I’m wrong (or just am not understanding this recent order) but Starbucks isn’t a critical business and I am really not expecting them to stay open during this Stay-at-Home order. I do know that gas stations were called out as a critical business so I guess they will be an option. I’ve been to a lot of gas stations though where their facilities were not available or is extreme disorder.

I’ll try to redirect this back towards KC’s SpC though and say that I hope its lounge stays open and that it remains maintained and in proper order during this crisis.

Well, that’s also a big point of interest with our Governor’s order yesterday directing everyone in the state to stay at home except for critical businesses. Please correct me if I’m wrong (or just am not understanding this recent order) but Starbucks isn’t a critical business and I am really not expecting them to stay open during this Stay-at-Home order. I do know that gas stations were called out as a critical business so I guess they will be an option. I’ve been to a lot of gas stations though where their facilities were not available or is extreme disorder.

I’ll try to redirect this back towards KC’s SpC though and say that I hope its lounge stays open and that it remains maintained and in proper order during this crisis.
Technically Starbucks and fast food have been considered essential since they are making pickup and go food available to people. Here in the bay area where we have been in shelter in place since monday they have all been open albeit with shorter hours and no seating. Only mobile order or order and leave.

At the moment the kettleman city starbucks shows open and Starbucks has said they will make the store status accurate every 60 minutes

• Informative
Reactions: KJD and K3Man
Technically Starbucks and fast food have been considered essential since they are making pickup and go food available to people. Here in the bay area where we have been in shelter in place since monday they have all been open albeit with shorter hours and no seating. Only mobile order or order and leave.

At the moment the kettleman city starbucks shows open and Starbucks has said they will make the store status accurate every 60 minutes
Welp. That didn’t last long. Starbucks now closing all stores nationwide. Drive thru only still open.