Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kettleman City, CA (LIVE 15 Nov 2017, 24 V2 + 16 V3 stalls, lounge)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The lounge is nice at Kettleman, but being closer to McD and In-N-Out would also be nice. To that end, there is empty land at the end of Bernard Drive behind In-N-Out. There is also empty land just uphill from the existing Supercharger site, but it would require more grading than the aforementioned site.

Given that other V2 sites like Salinas and San Luis Obispo have new pins next to them, I am guessing these additional pins are about upgrading V2 to V3. It would make no sense to build another station in Salinas when the current one is rarely near capacity and with more coming up and down 101 nearby. It would make more sense for them to upgrade the 24 V2 stalls at Kettleman to V3 than build an entirely new infrastructure across or down the street. Having said all that, I haven't seen any articles in Teslarati or Electrek about upgrades of V2 to V3.

Given that other V2 sites like Salinas and San Luis Obispo have new pins next to them, I am guessing these additional pins are about upgrading V2 to V3. It would make no sense to build another station in Salinas when the current one is rarely near capacity and with more coming up and down 101 nearby. It would make more sense for them to upgrade the 24 V2 stalls at Kettleman to V3 than build an entirely new infrastructure across or down the street. Having said all that, I haven't seen any articles in Teslarati or Electrek about upgrades of V2 to V3.

I think it depends on how much extra it costs. Why spend a bunch of money to only increase capacity a little, when you can spend just a little more and increase capacity a lot as well as introduce redundancy? (Especially as you start allowing other OEMs to use the Supercharger network.)

It could also be that their lease is coming to an end on some V2 sites and they aren't able to re-negotiate decent renewal terms and will end up removing the old V2 site.

There are tables outside that should be open.
Sorry, I should have clarified. The interior seating areas are not available. The outside tables are open. They are actually very nice, they have a canopy, and (at least last weekend) there was a pleasant breeze. Mrs. Janus and I enjoyed Taco Bell takeout on those tables, and it was a nice way to pass the time.

Awesome thanks! Bathrooms open inside?
I believe my last visit was in October or November so a lot may have changed, but IIRC I was directed to the bathrooms out in the parking lot that time. So I was allowed to go in and order coffee, but that was about it on the inside. The good news is, most of the year the weather is nice enough in Kettleman that sitting outside is fairly comfortable.