Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kettleman City, CA (LIVE 15 Nov 2017, 24 V2 + 16 V3 stalls, lounge)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Others have said that they have encountered a Bakersfield based mobile tech hanging out at Kettleman between assigned jobs.

I encountered such a person last year in the summer. He was present to answer any questions and/or perform any minor service. I don't know if Tesla made that a more consistent/permanent role, but it was presented (at the time) that he would be frequently at Kettleman.

The “reduced service” message at the moment is due to maintenance on the solar panels; there are still ~30 Supercharger stalls available.

EDB39942-DBD9-48DD-AD2A-4F921093789F.jpeg

I'm curious how crowded it is during Holiday weekends? The 4th was a bit different because it was a Thursday, but did it get full on Memorial Day? Maybe this Sunday will be a similar type day?

There are some great pictures earlier in this thread from last Christmas where it was almost full. However with 40 stalls and a typical charging session of less than 30 minutes, there was a space opening up every minute on average, so even a queue of a few cars isn't a big deal.

That was before the 150kW upgrade, so theoretically I guess the rate should have improved (assuming the site's overall capacity can deal with that sort of load)

However with 40 stalls and a typical charging session of less than 30 minutes, there was a space opening up every minute on average, so even a queue of a few cars isn't a big deal.

I suppose this fact kind of makes V3 retrofits at Kettleman less of near term priority. Also the power usage when Kettleman is full is already gigantic. Swapping 40 stalls to V3 would brown out the local grid under full load.

• Funny
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
I suppose this fact kind of makes V3 retrofits at Kettleman less of near term priority. Also the power usage when Kettleman is full is already gigantic. Swapping 40 stalls to V3 would brown out the local grid under full load.
One of the key points with V3 is that it has integrated battery storage to buffer the grid. However, when you have an ongoing holiday rush at a site like Kettleman, there's only so much buffering you can do.

• Informative
One of the key points with V3 is that it has integrated battery storage to buffer the grid. However, when you have an ongoing holiday rush at a site like Kettleman, there's only so much buffering you can do.
If V3, then 40 stalls X 250kW = 10MW under full load? I guess actually in the grand scheme of things that's not that much draw compared to some industrial power users. Nothing to sneeze at, but not insurmountable.

• Informative
Kettleman filled up a few times around last Christmas / New Years with 5-10 people waiting in line. They had an attendant out there directing people to chargers. As others said, with 40 stalls turning over once every 30-40 minutes or so on average, even a 10-deep line is a small inconvenience.

• Informative
Reactions: Araman0 and jowaldo