Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kettleman City, CA (LIVE 15 Nov 2017, 24 V2 + 16 V3 stalls, lounge)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Poker hand 1, player Emusk: I'm all in.
Poker hand 2, player Emusk: I'm all in.
Poker hand 3, player Emusk: I'm all in.
Poker hand 4, player GM: Leaves table.
Poker hand 4, player VW: Leaves table.
Poker hand 4, player Nissan: Leaves table.
Poker hand 4, player FFuture: Remains absent.
Poker hand 4, player BMW: Leaves table.
Poker hand 4, player Emusk: Gathers abandoned chips, leaves table

Lounge chat, player Emusk: I'm all in!

Guy is very predictable. Strange how nobody else wants to play...

RT

Do you think Kettleman City can become my only stop for my SF road trips? I live in Irvine (O.C).

It's a 220 mile drive from Irvine to Kettleman City
And 210 from Kettleman City to SF.

I have a X90D so ~257 rated miles.

Currently I go from Irvine to Buttonwillow: 165
Buttonwillow to Gustine: 150
Gustine to SF: 110

I doubt it, unless you keep it under 65mph

I've been driving from LA to the East Bay for 30+ years, as I live in the former but grew up in the latter. The Kettleman City exit off of I-5 was always the halfway point, and we always made our single stop there back in the ICE days. Great location for a big supercharger station, but you would likely need the 100 kWh battery to make a single stop LA-SF road trip. Someday...

Reactions: miimura
Awesome news. A couple of notes:
  • I had anticipated that these stalls would have space for food trucks/vendors. In my mind, since Tesla owns the land, they could permit food truck parking, mobile detailing, etc. I don't see space for that on these plans.
  • What are the vehicles that I've circled? Are those rudimentary sketches of Teslas dropping off passengers on their way to charge? Or are they some kind of bus?
  • I count nine spaces feasible for charging while pulling a trailer. They may be too tight to maneuver out of, though. If so, where does one park the unhitched trailer? I'm guessing the section marked 8.
tesla-supercharger-kettleman-city-4-smaller.png

• I had anticipated that these stalls would have space for food trucks/vendors. In my mind, since Tesla owns the land, they could permit food truck parking, mobile detailing, etc. I don't see space for that on these plans.
  • What are the vehicles that I've circled? Are those rudimentary sketches of Teslas dropping off passengers on their way to charge? Or are they some kind of bus?

I think those are the food trucks that you and Electrek mentioned. You will notice that that isn't a through lane, they have what looks like concrete barriers up in the path.

Never say never about lineups. All it takes in a once in a decade confluence of events like a big wedding, with local concert, with a Tesla meetup all occurring at the same time. It'll happen eventually. But given how infrequently something like that would happen, its not going to be an issue.

i dont have much personal experience in that area but from my one trip driving from LA to SF, all the stalls up and down that route were pretty empty, with maybe 1-2 cars there at the same time as me except burbank and san mateo. seems kind of redundant to put 40 chargers in the middle of no where..

i dont have much personal experience in that area but from my one trip driving from LA to SF, all the stalls up and down that route were pretty empty, with maybe 1-2 cars there at the same time as me except burbank and san mateo. seems kind of redundant to put 40 chargers in the middle of no where..

40 stalls is not really for current model S/X owners. it is for the future model 3, Y, semi, pick-up, roadster gen 2 owners that have to supercharge on the way to norcal or socal. this location (smack in the middle of norcal/socal) makes perfect sense as far as infrastructure investment is concerned.

40 stalls is not really for current model S/X owners. it is for the future model 3, Y, semi, pick-up, roadster gen 2 owners that have to supercharge on the way to norcal or socal. this location (smack in the middle of norcal/socal) makes perfect sense as far as infrastructure investment is concerned.
Exactly! Not being familiar with Kettleman City, I looked it up on Google Maps and it was zoomed in all the way. I laughed a bit when I saw how small the town was and as I zoomed out several times to see virtually nothing nearby. As I kept zooming out, I eventually saw it was nearly halfway between L.A. and the Bay Area and the spot made perfect sense!