Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kettleman City, CA (LIVE 15 Nov 2017, 24 V2 + 16 V3 stalls, lounge)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Out of curiosity, is this open to anyone or do we need to show our key fob, app, Tesla ID etc to get in? Sometimes we are driving our S to the valley and other times we are driving our truck. A clean bathroom is Kettleman City is greatly appreciated on thee trips but I need to know what I need to have to gain access regardless of what we choose to drive.

• Disagree
Reactions: TexasEV
Out of curiosity, is this open to anyone or do we need to show our key fob, app, Tesla ID etc to get in? Sometimes we are driving our S to the valley and other times we are driving our truck. A clean bathroom is Kettleman City is greatly appreciated on thee trips but I need to know what I need to have to gain access regardless of what we choose to drive.

You have to use the code that is displayed on your CID in your Tesla to get in to the lounge or the external restrooms. (And who know how often that change it. For that matter each person could get a unique code that only works for ~30 minutes.)

Last edited:
I suppose I was wrong about Tesla announcing these sites at the event last night. They didn't even mention them in passing. When you've got a a new Roadster in a Semi, I guess 40 stall Supercharger stations seem banal.
I was also expecting Elon to say something about the new 40 stall sites and this one in particular. But after seeing the amazing Tesla Semi and then being stunned by the incredible Roadster unloading from the Semi I realized that it was the right decision to keep the event focused on those two debuts and let the small stuff go... ;)

Stopped by there yesterday. There were more non-Teslas parked at the chargers than Teslas. I'm not sure why, because there was exactly one person inside who didn't work there. Maybe the employees parked in the spots to have vehicles there?

Either way, really nice inside, fast wifi, I stopped for about 40 minutes. The vending machines have coffee (presumably when the coffee bar is closed), soft drinks, and one is full of sandwiches which were reasonably priced, about five bucks each. I didn't try any of them. The store also had some merchandise, though the cellphone Tesla Supercharger chargers were sold out.

Stopped here on the way from NorCal to SoCal today (Sunday; about noon). Surprisingly, about a dozen Teslas charging when we arrived. Ate our lunch on the patio (laughing at the situated adjacency to a massive gas station and auto repair shop). Used the restroom. Toured the lounge/cafe area. Studied the supercharger map/numbers. Chatted with the baristas and others. Bought a "cold nitro brew" (sorta a Guiness-looking coffee. Tasty). Kids played cards. Wife and I caught up on emails in some nice chairs. Here about an hour (to fully charge for a stretch run to Claremont in our S85D).

Sharing a few reactions/thoughts:

1. This is a different kind of Supercharger site in more ways than just more Superchargers. It is a destination, which I suppose very much may be Tesla's intent. Rather than a just a refilling point, it is a legitimate spot for some R&R on a road trip. A place to do some business. A decent refreshment vendor. A place to easily and conveniently connect with other Tesla fanboys/girls.

2. The effect of thought 1 (at least for me) is that instead of hopping down I-5 using 3 or 4 SC stops at nondescript spots to maximize charge rates, I am specifically going to plan on using/staying here and more fully charging and knocking out 1-2 stops. I am not sure what the precise travel time effect will be as charging longer (due to higher states of charge) will be offset somewhat by less time spent in the overhead of getting off/on freeways. But I really don't care. It was just a lot nicer to have a comfortable place to relax, hang, and talk with folks I can relate with.

3. I am convinced that the existing assumptions and rules of Superchargers don't apply to this place. Perfectly situation halfway between LA and SF, people are going to try and make it to this place (versus Bakersfield, Harris Ranch, etc.). The compounding effect of more usage on shared superchargers creating slower charge rates, the choice that people will make to more fully charge to knock out 1-2 additional SC stops, the draw of "green" (solar-derived, at least in part) energy, and legitimate reasons to hang out here (versus get back on the road) will make this a busy place. Others may be betting that this place will never fill up. Based on my experience (most notably, my third SF-LA Thanksgiving week run in a Tesla), I will bet that it will fill up on some busy travel weekends - particularly when the Model 3 adoption reaches larger numbers. I'm certainly curious what the stall fill percentage will be the weekend after this Thanksgiving - just 2 weeks after its opening...

Stopped here on the way from NorCal to SoCal today (Sunday; about noon). Surprisingly, about a dozen Teslas charging when we arrived. Ate our lunch on the patio (laughing at the situated adjacency to a massive gas station and auto repair shop). Used the restroom. Toured the lounge/cafe area. Studied the supercharger map/numbers. Chatted with the baristas and others. Bought a "cold nitro brew" (sorta a Guiness-looking coffee. Tasty). Kids played cards. Wife and I caught up on emails in some nice chairs. Here about an hour (to fully charge for a stretch run to Claremont in our S85D).

Sharing a few reactions/thoughts:

1. This is a different kind of Supercharger site in more ways than just more Superchargers. It is a destination, which I suppose very much may be Tesla's intent. Rather than a just a refilling point, it is a legitimate spot for some R&R on a road trip. A place to do some business. A decent refreshment vendor. A place to easily and conveniently connect with other Tesla fanboys/girls.

2. The effect of thought 1 (at least for me) is that instead of hopping down I-5 using 3 or 4 SC stops at nondescript spots to maximize charge rates, I am specifically going to plan on using/staying here and more fully charging and knocking out 1-2 stops. I am not sure what the precise travel time effect will be as charging longer (due to higher states of charge) will be offset somewhat by less time spent in the overhead of getting off/on freeways. But I really don't care. It was just a lot nicer to have a comfortable place to relax, hang, and talk with folks I can relate with.

3. I am convinced that the existing assumptions and rules of Superchargers don't apply to this place. Perfectly situation halfway between LA and SF, people are going to try and make it to this place (versus Bakersfield, Harris Ranch, etc.). The compounding effect of more usage on shared superchargers creating slower charge rates, the choice that people will make to more fully charge to knock out 1-2 additional SC stops, the draw of "green" (solar-derived, at least in part) energy, and legitimate reasons to hang out here (versus get back on the road) will make this a busy place. Others may be betting that this place will never fill up. Based on my experience (most notably, my third SF-LA Thanksgiving week run in a Tesla), I will bet that it will fill up on some busy travel weekends - particularly when the Model 3 adoption reaches larger numbers. I'm certainly curious what the stall fill percentage will be the weekend after this Thanksgiving - just 2 weeks after its opening...

Totally agree, in fact I see it as a waste to build 40 stalls or so WITHOUT also adding their own lounge (*cough* Baker *cough*). Having Kettleman City become the destination really changed how I viewed planning the trip, and for the better too.

• Informative
Reactions: Teefal
Stopped by there yesterday. There were more non-Teslas parked at the chargers than Teslas. I'm not sure why, because there was exactly one person inside who didn't work there. Maybe the employees parked in the spots to have vehicles there?

Either way, really nice inside, fast wifi, I stopped for about 40 minutes. The vending machines have coffee (presumably when the coffee bar is closed), soft drinks, and one is full of sandwiches which were reasonably priced, about five bucks each. I didn't try any of them. The store also had some merchandise, though the cellphone Tesla Supercharger chargers were sold out.

Hope they nip that ICEing in the bud. I forgot to look at the overhead and wide shots to see how much ICE parking there was. Stands to reason that curious prospective owners might want to visit/interact with current owners in the lounge over an espresso. It’s not like people aren’t going to let them in.

Which is great as long as they don’t ICE the stalls. 40 sounds like a lot but it’s really just level-pegging ahead opf demand along a corridor between two of the most densely-populated (ito Tesla owners and lessees) on Earth.

Took my family through Kettleman yesterday. We were taken by how cool it was! So cool we ended up buying too much Tesla Swag and charging way more than we should have! There were 12 stalls taken when we arrived yet it still looked wide open! Though I must say I’m not sure what the process to find an open charger will be when everything is full, could get confusing.

Best part was there was a model 3 charging when we arrived, our first time to see one in person...even cooler than we thought it would be!

Ps toys on wall looked to be of a perfect height!

Attachments

• 747A80F8-8463-4253-A7FF-79925C0DCC43.jpeg
    747A80F8-8463-4253-A7FF-79925C0DCC43.jpeg
    384.9 KB · Views: 172
  • 09DDCCB9-3632-49CF-86B1-89F2266EBBEF.jpeg
    09DDCCB9-3632-49CF-86B1-89F2266EBBEF.jpeg
    291 KB · Views: 165
  • A82163B8-4826-49AA-A21B-B841198062EF.jpeg
    A82163B8-4826-49AA-A21B-B841198062EF.jpeg
    638.7 KB · Views: 156
  • D80B1BF9-C298-43CA-82CD-75F43C5E3A38.jpeg
    D80B1BF9-C298-43CA-82CD-75F43C5E3A38.jpeg
    253.9 KB · Views: 161
  • 1A558C13-4E16-44C8-801F-55305363E4F0.jpeg
    1A558C13-4E16-44C8-801F-55305363E4F0.jpeg
    312.7 KB · Views: 160
I saw a YouTube video of the lounge which showed a flat screen on the back wall of the lounge. With the glimpse I saw it appeared to be like the old screen at Hawthorne which switched screens with supercharger statistics on it. I thought I saw cumulative kWh charged on it in the video. Could someone watch that screen for a minute and see if there is any interesting data to glean from it?

I saw a YouTube video of the lounge which showed a flat screen on the back wall of the lounge. With the glimpse I saw it appeared to be like the old screen at Hawthorne which switched screens with supercharger statistics on it. I thought I saw cumulative kWh charged on it in the video. Could someone watch that screen for a minute and see if there is any interesting data to glean from it?

Video of this please! Before they cover up the screen like the windows of the Fremont factory where someone saw the Model 3 production line.

Maybe some rookie web developer accidentally left some code in that displays the cumulative Model 3 deliveries pulled in real time from the database. And displays that once a minute for 5 seconds.

RT

• Funny
Reactions: jvonbokel
A good picture of a fully occupied KC SpC would make awesome 'puter wallpaper (that's what you call the background image on the "desktop", right?) ....

And this would probably best be achieved during the holiday travel season..... Especially this year, while it's still all shiny and new... Maybe at "Magic Hour", to capture the pink moment (sky) AND the lights (SpC), if they come on early enough.....

Just sayin'...

Happy Monday!

Reactions: jvonbokel
It would be really nice of Tesla to have suggested stalls to use for either a maximum rate charge for those who only want to charge enough and split, and for those like the fellow above who wished to linger with his family and enjoy a nice one hour break from the road.

It will be a guessing game for us when 25/40 of the stalls are in use and there are no unpaired stalls. Do we plug in, observe 42kWh on the screen and then decide to unplug, move and plug in again? There is no guarantee that our next choice will be any better, and we lose out on 90 seconds or so of charging.