Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kettleman City, CA (LIVE 15 Nov 2017, 24 V2 + 16 V3 stalls, lounge)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Out of curiosity, is this open to anyone or do we need to show our key fob, app, Tesla ID etc to get in? Sometimes we are driving our S to the valley and other times we are driving our truck. A clean bathroom is Kettleman City is greatly appreciated on thee trips but I need to know what I need to have to gain access regardless of what we choose to drive.
Tesla is not in the business of providing bathrooms to you for when you’re driving your truck.

Other folks here have nicely blurred out the PIN for entering the lounge...
Yes, as they should.

@AlexG that code is for use by Tesla owners who are charging at that location. They all have access to it through the car nav. It’s not intended to be circulated to the general public.
is the code suppose to change from time to time?
We don’t know yet if Tesla is going to change it, or if they do, how often they will change it. Fortunately, it is easy for them to change and to then provide to all Tesla owners via the car nav.

We don’t know yet if Tesla is going to change it, or if they do, how often they will change it. Fortunately, it is easy for them to change and to then provide to all Tesla owners via the car nav.

FWIW the code in the video is the same as it was last week when I was there on the first day. Will be interesting to see how often they refresh it.

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX and bmah
Well, I visited KCity today and I must say I was quite impressed. I'm hoping to see more of these Mega SCs in the future.

I will be submitting a recommendation to Tesla. They need to shade the outdoor patio (awnings, umbrellas, or the like). That patio will be an inferno in summer.

Approx. 12 of the 40 stalls were occupied at noon. None of them were ICED. Additionally, I didn't see any scofflaws entering the lounge with a pirated entry code.

By the letter of the law that would seem to be true. I'm sure it has to do with state laws requiring accessible spots close to the building entrance. I can recall at least one other supercharger (Manteca) where one of the spots is marked handicap, but I doubt it's ever enforced.

Many many years ago at work, there we had 3 buildings and one was completely unoccupied and clearly not finished. The parking stalls were around it. One day I just used the handicapped spot for no particular reason as it was way out of the way of anything. I got a ticket. So yes, avoid all handicapped parking. The only exception I'd make in California at a supercharger would be if it is the last spot available and I would stay with the car.

Irony.

Oh plus FYI, bathrooms are both closed today.

Attachments

• IMG_20171123_175654.jpg
    IMG_20171123_175654.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 160
  • Informative
Reactions: Falkirk
I suspect some ICE drivers will be curious what Tesla is all about (some probably haven't heard the name or know about the company...I know living under a rock) and stop by to check out the "new" place along the freeway. Maybe the MB owner was checking out the place and will be trading that car in for a Tesla down the road...or maybe it's simply that they'd rather use a Tesla bathroom over the one next door ;).

Reactions: jvonbokel
They were traveling with a Tesla model S owner I believe. Just thought it funny they took a spot as close to the building entrance as they could and not a little further out. Not a biggie really, just liked the plates and car combined with parking at a Supercharger.

Wait for Sunday. In trips past, that offramp was horrific. I saw lots of cones around that they were likely going to setup this weekend to prevent people from crossing the streets in the middle of the road. This weekend will be a good tell.

is the code suppose to change from time to time?
In practice they don't change the lounge codes often enough to avoid vandalism. Tesla hasn't yet experienced problems I know of, but it is a concern.

There are very few such lounges, but some have been around for many years already, so I'm basing my conclusions on practice at those lounges (I used Seaside and they never changed the code while I owned my first Tesla).
Well, I visited KCity today and I must say I was quite impressed. I'm hoping to see more of these Mega SCs in the future.

I will be submitting a recommendation to Tesla. They need to shade the outdoor patio (awnings, umbrellas, or the like). That patio will be an inferno in summer.
I humbly suggest a solar tree. (A tree made out of a crown of solar panels that rotates to see the sun. Since it's already round, a parabolic concentrator type isn't out of the question. Or, it could be square.)

Last edited:
Wait for Sunday. In trips past, that offramp was horrific. I saw lots of cones around that they were likely going to setup this weekend to prevent people from crossing the streets in the middle of the road. This weekend will be a good tell.
I was at this Supercharger at 6PM today. Third visit, first time charging. Easy to get in and out of. Less than half full. Huge lines at the nearby gas stations!

This site is incredible. I have seen the future of long distance travel and this is it. I love it. Kudos to Tesla!
B2CF4B90-4172-4764-AA03-BC374BC1CA7C.jpeg

CD02C15E-1169-43CF-A2C4-A0E3C7E6A24A.jpeg

499DF8CE-7283-45D2-84B3-2200E50B1A34.jpeg

EBB07335-C0CD-4F2C-B17A-8C0BB336E7F7.jpeg

C5FC579F-3D18-4E1C-9054-3F51C7B9D656.jpeg

I'll be passing through there tomorrow around 2:00 PM, much like what I expect most of the world to be doing, so I'll be ready to post some pictures if it's crazy enough!

That would be great! Because I believe by next year this time, this supercharger may be pretty full.... especially with the Model 3s. And that would be an excellent before and after pic!