Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kettleman City, CA (LIVE 15 Nov 2017, 24 V2 + 16 V3 stalls, lounge)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get that most of the superchargers were busy today, but I'm guessing if one looked at the Nav as they drove down I-5, one could have found one with a few stalls available, most likely Bakersfield.

Anyways, charging at Casa de Fruta was a good idea. I have been surprised at how inflexible Tesla drivers seem to be at adjusting plans for conditions. I guess since I am on these forums a lot and on the road a lot, I am hyperaware of potential crowding issues and potential workarounds, but most people seem to travel at peak times (I get that part) and then want to charge at their usual places. It used to be Tejon and now I suspect it will be Kettleman.

I get that most of the superchargers were busy today, but I'm guessing if one looked at the Nav as they drove down I-5, one could have found one with a few stalls available, most likely Bakersfield.

LOL. I’m not sure why it’s so confusing, but as I explicitly stated—like, twice already—looking at the stall occupancy while driving down the 5 was literally exactly what I was doing. And that’s not tween ‘literally’. That’s adult literally. Bakers was full on multiple occasions. Button was pretty consistently a stall or two better.

And to be clear, I kept checking specifically because, in my experience, Buttonwillow and Bakersfield are typically underused relative to Tejon and KC (and to a lesser extent these days, Harris) even in fairly heavy traffic. So...exactly as you are intimating, I thought I would be clever and skip KC and it’s full house. I figured my 4+ years and ~50 supercharged round trips on the 5 would give me a leg up on all the noobs eager to take their first trip in their new car and show off the fancy lounge to their friends and family, so I fully understand how you find it hard to accept your approach being incorrect.

Today it would have been. My money is on the same story for tomorrow and next weekend too.

I’ll take a look at Kettleman City when I get there later this morning. Having breakfast at Harris Ranch now (half full chargers). I have no reason to actually charge at Kettleman City but I want to go take a look just so I can contribute to this little discussion. :)

Bruce.
Bruce, I think the status board at Kettleman is broken. While there two nights ago, the board seems to cycle back to the Dublin status page continuously and doesn’t cycle through to the other 10 sites. Please see if it cycles properly through the various locations today.

Getting an early morning data point would be interesting.

They’re about a third to half full here. Interesting things: seems like an almost even split between S, X, and 3. Plus a Plug-in Prius that seems to be traveling with a Model 3. :confused:

It’s weird that even with all these free stalls some people don’t know how to not-pair up. There are literally a dozen free stalls behind me as I’m taking this picture/

38468A12-3D78-4D1C-8982-2FD436BC3971.jpeg

We’ve gotta work on owner education more.

Bruce.

Bruce, I think the status board at Kettleman is broken. While there two nights ago, the board seems to cycle back to the Dublin status page continuously and doesn’t cycle through to the other 10 sites. Please see if it cycles properly through the various locations today.

It seems to be working now. I posted a photo in the top ten Superchargers photos thread just now showing a Norway Supercharger.

Bruce.

As noted above, it was very red. 0-3 stalls open for everything in between Gustine and tejon, at least for during the ~2:15 it took me to get from Casa to KC. I looked at Arastradero and the Marriott a couple times too; they weren’t as full but always over 50%.
I believed you, just wondered how it looked... as well as how much the accuracy of the information has improved since it was rolled out.

Too bad. 40+ Teslas at KC and no pictures. :(

I took a bunch yesterday around 3:00 pm. 8-10 in line but the turnover was about a car per minute. An hour later it had eased up a bit, with 4 or 5 stalls open. Attendant said it kind of went in waves like that through the day. Other chargers on the route were consistently full as we drove down (SF to Los Angeles).

IMG_6695.jpg
IMG_6692.jpg
IMG_6694.jpg

For the record it was so crowded that nav routed me down 33 out of KC, with a cross back to the 5 on 46. I actually kept going to Maricopa and it only added 10 more min drive time...and easily double that on my lifespan. :p No traffic...cruise at 68 the whole time.

Note: Should you find yourself that way during the day feel free to take some juxtaposed photos of your Tesla in the endless fields of derricks... :cool:

We got the same re-route; at one point we (Model S) were followed by a 3 and an X, like a little Tesla caravan. Was this around 4:30 for you?

They’re about a third to half full here. Interesting things: seems like an almost even split between S, X, and 3. Plus a Plug-in Prius that seems to be traveling with a Model 3. :confused:

It’s weird that even with all these free stalls some people don’t know how to not-pair up. There are literally a dozen free stalls behind me as I’m taking this picture/

View attachment 363407

We’ve gotta work on owner education more.

Bruce.

Trying to teach every driver how the pairing system works in my opinion is less effective than adding a small display showing the available output on top of each stall.

I’m sure all of use who know how pairing works have attempted to educate only to have an owner stare blankly confused. Plus I’m finding less and less people are even inclined to be provided information from another owner.

• Helpful
Reactions: tigerrr and bxr140