Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kettleman City, CA (LIVE 15 Nov 2017, 24 V2 + 16 V3 stalls, lounge)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...there just ain't much in Kettleman City unless one is craving an animal style In'n'Out. :) One hundred fifty miles is an easy drive for any Tesla vehicle in any California weather condition.

Atascadero SC to Kettleman City is only about 60 miles or so, generally too soon for a charge with Harris Ranch or Gustine within reach for those heading north. Maybe those who are in Sta. Barbara would utilize Kettleman City over Harris Ranch.

So, I really do not see this location as getting much usage for those going to or from the San Luis Obispo area. Sure, nice to have, but not likely to be a popular stop.

As true as this is, as a fellow Fresnan, we often make Paso Robles a day trip and the stopping in Kettleman makes sense as quick stretch stop on the way out (or back) without having to hit the Harris smell or dash down to Atascadero.

I for one am looking forward to this opening!
Open,Open,Open (Think old Mervyn's commercial)

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
As true as this is, as a fellow Fresnan, we often make Paso Robles a day trip and the stopping in Kettleman makes sense as quick stretch stop on the way out (or back) without having to hit the Harris smell or dash down to Atascadero.

I for one am looking forward to this opening!
Open,Open,Open (Think old Mervyn's commercial)
That is a good point that applicable to more than just this location. People sometimes forget to think through the round trip. They see a route that is A to C of about 120-150 miles (with not necessarily Superchargers at the endpoints), and they think, "That's doable, so why is there a Supercharger at B in the middle?" Well, if you're going from A to C and then back to A, you will need a Supercharger stop either on the way out or the way back.

That is a good point that applicable to more than just this location. People sometimes forget to think through the round trip. They see a route that is A to C of about 120-150 miles (with not necessarily Superchargers at the endpoints), and they think, "That's doable, so why is there a Supercharger at B in the middle?" Well, if you're going from A to C and then back to A, you will need a Supercharger stop either on the way out or the way back.

Additionally, current Tesla owners are "hard core" Planning routes and such is part of the fun.

The mass market just wants to GO. That means maybe leaving the house at 60%, Or maybe running a few errands in the morning. or maybe driving to work and then hitting the road at 4pm.

Max range makes sense if you love to watch your juice. The average person does not. Hell, I'd wager most people dont think about their fuel until the "low gas" light turns on. Having more and more stations means being able to see "range 35mi" and go "ok, let's stop at X" rather than having a step by step guide of how to get to the beach.

That why I think it would make more sense to increase Tejon to 40 and just put 10 in Kettleman.

If the main point is to supporting Model 3 or MS 70D and below, coming from Orange County or inland Empire, they'll need to stop way earlier than Kettleman. All those smaller stop in between are useful for those with higher range and can easily skip Tejon.

It was probably fairly cheep/easy to buy the property at Kettleman. Even though Tejon is also in the middle of nowhere, it's a large-scale planned development. Much harder to buy/lease land there, as the property owners have a plan for what they want to do. Also, I'm not at all convinced that shopping complex owners have any interest in giving up large chunks of existing parking lots to serve as supercharger megastations.

A 40 Stall Super Charger would go
SC have to keep growing, it's never enough. Have you ever hear anyone complain there are too many gas stations?
SC is the only network in the world that can do long distance travel.

That statement is a bit ironic. Edison focused on DC current and it was Tesla who created AC current. The limitation of DC is distance. Lol...

Reactions: bmah
A model x 90d with 22's with any weight at all will comfortably go about 180 miles maybe 190 but if you have a headwind that goes down. If you put a bike rack on the back you'll drop another 15-20 off that at normal freeway speeds.

Until the battery gets bigger than the more the merrier! I hate stopping to charge but waiting in a line to charge is the worst thing that can happen.

I guess one benefit of having more SC is needing less time wasted sitting around. On a trip, today an average stop is no more than 20-30 minutes to get gas and restroom break.

If we can get enough SC on a route, the need to stay longer than 40 minutes would be good. The only draw back is the stop occurring more often, but that might be a good thing for the legs and bladder.

See An exclusive look at Tesla’s plan to build largest EV charging station in the world with 40 Superchargers

There was a thread about this site that was started a few days ago in this forum but it seems to have disappeared so I am starting a new thread. A thread about this site was started in the Model S forum on June 12th at 40-stall Supercharger planned for Kettleman City but there should be a dedicated thread about it in this forum for California Supercharger locations.

Based on the Electrek article it seems certain that Tesla is going to be constructing a very large Supercharger site in Kettleman City. 40 stalls with a central building with a lounge and bathrooms. See the article.