Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kettleman City, CA (LIVE 15 Nov 2017, 24 V2 + 16 V3 stalls, lounge)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One bad part is that since everyone is driving, it is pretty hard to walk from one restaurant to another, even from the McDonalds to the In-n-out, which are adjacent. One day, when the car can park on its own, that wont be an issue. But for now, Tesla should work with the city to ensure that the walking route from their chargers to the In-n-out is safe.

I would bet several supercharger locations fall in this category. We stopped at Gustine and wanted to pick up bottled sodas at the convenience store in the same complex. The walk involved cutting through a hedge behind a dumpster and cutting across several parking lots with no sidewalks. When we left a fellow Tesla couple was trying to find a stroller friendly hole in the hedge so they could eat at the fast food joint there.

It was all obviously designed for people to just drive not walk.

Reactions: Galve2000 and Ulmo
I would bet several supercharger locations fall in this category. We stopped at Gustine and wanted to pick up bottled sodas at the convenience store in the same complex. The walk involved cutting through a hedge behind a dumpster and cutting across several parking lots with no sidewalks. When we left a fellow Tesla couple was trying to find a stroller friendly hole in the hedge so they could eat at the fast food joint there.

I've been through this a dozen times. It's odd how many odd looks I get as I do it. They could definitely put a few holes in those hedge lines, but there's like five properties it cuts through, so the liability legal wranglings would be intense and probably unworthwhile. Perhaps someone with some pruning sheers could commit some misdemeanors on a certain fairly logical well lit path with defensible space.

I've come to enjoy this particular walk as a sort of stretching of the legs, but I don't particularly like the odd pinch points, dark hideout spots for criminals, smells, and surprise steps.

I've run into this problem at a few other SuperCharger sites too.

Hopefully within a few years, the car can drop us off miles away, then come pick us up. We won't even care what city the SuperCharger is in, any more. For freeway travel, we'd want the car to go charge itself within a 2 minute drive away, but for other types of travel, it matters less.

Super Duper Chargers.
Scrambled Egg Super Dee Dooper Dee Booper Special Deluxe a la Peter T. Hooper Chargers.

Which actually brings back to mind an idea I had. A Special Deluxe a la Peter T. Hooper Charger plaza could support a nice ecosystem of "business designed for just enough time to charge". Junk food of course. But also: restaurant that can serve you a good sit-down meal that you can get in and out of in 30 minutes. Chair massage. Tesla tee shirt and baseball cap store. Oxygen bar. Detailers who can polish your car while charging (special rack of charging stations with extra room around them so the doors can be wide open without impact). Dog walk. Children's playground and/or miniature carnival. <insert your idea here>

Last edited:
Welcome to America!
Yeah every time I drive by an In n Out Burger and see dozens of ICE cars idling and polluting in the drive through it frosts my cupcake. They should get out of the friggin car and walk inside the 40 steps. Maybe it will offset one of those fries.

Reactions: ohmman
Yeah every time I drive by an In n Out Burger and see dozens of ICE cars idling and polluting in the drive through it frosts my cupcake. They should get out of the friggin car and walk inside the 40 steps. Maybe it will offset one of those fries.

I find this troubling too. There are 20 cars idling in line to buy fast food. People who don't drive EVs probably don't give it a second thought.

Same thing when I see gas powered leaf blowers spewing the worst smelling fumes ever encountered. How can there not be a battery that has enough juice to run one of these for 20 minutes?

Ok, off soapbox now...

At least the environment around the Kettleman City charger will not have any fumes. Will ICE cars have space to park and enjoy the facilities?

RT

Reactions: MP3Mike
Same thing when I see gas powered leaf blowers spewing the worst smelling fumes ever encountered. How can there not be a battery that has enough juice to run one of these for 20 minutes?
They do! I have one of these and it works great. They even make a backpack model that lasts longer. Mine will blow for 45 minutes to an hour on a charge.

I find this troubling too. There are 20 cars idling in line to buy fast food.
Not to mention that the drive-through line is often a single order-taker/cashier, while there are multiple order/pay points inside the store so it's likely you'd get your order faster if you just park your car, walk inside and place your order. It's also more enjoyable to eat your Double-Double at a table than inside your car and stinking it up with the smell of onions and French fries.

Actually that wouldn't be a bad idea in event the SC are full and get some juice while waiting or those who can afford to wait
No. We will then need special signs and striping (maybe a little Roadster graphic) on the HPWC stalls that they are reserved for Roadsters only. Then we will have the Roadster police out there fining people and writing nasty notes. ;)

All kidding aside it would be good to have at least one HPWC for the Roadsters at every SC site.

No. We will then need special signs and striping (maybe a little Roadster graphic) on the HPWC stalls that they are reserved for Roadsters only. Then we will have the Roadster police out there fining people and writing nasty notes. ;)

All kidding aside it would be good to have at least one HPWC for the Roadsters at every SC site.
Roadster HPWCs are different from Model S/X HPWCs so I don't think they'd have to be protected.

They could definitely install both types, though.

If you watch the video (I believe by Bjorn) of the facility in Norway, it has lower level chargers (I think J1772, and possibly 14-50) on the outskirts of the facility. So there is a precedence for Tesla to provide AC charging for non-Teslas. IMHO, if they have the space, this would be a good amenity to offer for other EV drivers and community.

So, this question comes to mind.

Harris Ranch with 18 stalls (if my memory is correct) is 27 miles north.
Buttonwillow with 10 stalls is 53 miles south.
Bakersfield West with 10 stalls is 58 miles south.
In addition, Tejon Ranch is about 93 miles away, and Gustine is about 101 miles away.

In short, drivers will easily be able to bypass this new SuperDuper charger with its 40 stalls and lounge on their way between southern and northern California.

Is it possible that this new sort of charging plaza with amenities and ample hook ups will be a fee-based model? Perhaps in line with the proposed larger current?

The traditional models that are free, or have the 400kWh allotment will continue to be thus. So, Tesla is not reneging on its promotional pledge. However, since Tesla has invested a lot more money in buying the real estate, improving the building, and (I assume) have an employee or two at the lounge or to direct traffic, it might be more of an incentive for Tesla to charge for this privilege. Even though the solar panels will generate an offset to the costs, the carrying costs with property taxes, insurance, repairs, maintenance, etc., might be larger than any other free station.

We drivers could then choose the free or fee-based model. No idle charges at the fee-based model. But perhaps a slight increase from the 20-cent/kWh charge in California for those without the free plan.

Just throwing this out there. . . .

• Informative
Reactions: ecarfan and ohmman