Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kettleman City, CA (LIVE 15 Nov 2017, 24 V2 + 16 V3 stalls, lounge)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, this question comes to mind.

Harris Ranch with 18 stalls (if my memory is correct) is 27 miles north.
Buttonwillow with 10 stalls is 53 miles south.
Bakersfield West with 10 stalls is 58 miles south.
In addition, Tejon Ranch is about 93 miles away, and Gustine is about 101 miles away.

In short, drivers will easily be able to bypass this new SuperDuper charger with its 40 stalls and lounge on their way between southern and northern California.

Is it possible that this new sort of charging plaza with amenities and ample hook ups will be a fee-based model? Perhaps in line with the proposed larger current?

The traditional models that are free, or have the 400kWh allotment will continue to be thus. So, Tesla is not reneging on its promotional pledge. However, since Tesla has invested a lot more money in buying the real estate, improving the building, and (I assume) have an employee or two at the lounge or to direct traffic, it might be more of an incentive for Tesla to charge for this privilege. Even though the solar panels will generate an offset to the costs, the carrying costs with property taxes, insurance, repairs, maintenance, etc., might be larger than any other free station.

We drivers could then choose the free or fee-based model. No idle charges at the fee-based model. But perhaps a slight increase from the 20-cent/kWh charge in California for those without the free plan.

Just throwing this out there. . . .
Interesting idea. Personally, I doubt it. We already have a fee-based model for Model 3 (and theoretically S/X when/if they choose). I think it complicates things too much to have tiers based on location and vehicle.

These large charging plazas will provide a marketing function greater than the existing Superchargers. Will there be a tall "Tesla" sign on posts? I kind of hope not..

In addition, Tejon Ranch is about 93 miles away, and Gustine is about 101 miles away.

In short, drivers will easily be able to bypass this new SuperDuper charger with its 40 stalls and lounge on their way between southern and northern California.

Is it possible that this new sort of charging plaza with amenities and ample hook ups will be a fee-based model? Perhaps in line with the proposed larger current?

The traditional models that are free, or have the 400kWh allotment will continue to be thus. So, Tesla is not reneging on its promotional pledge. However, since Tesla has invested a lot more money in buying the real estate, improving the building, and (I assume) have an employee or two at the lounge or to direct traffic, it might be more of an incentive for Tesla to charge for this privilege. Even though the solar panels will generate an offset to the costs, the carrying costs with property taxes, insurance, repairs, maintenance, etc., might be larger than any other free station.

We drivers could then choose the free or fee-based model. No idle charges at the fee-based model. But perhaps a slight increase from the 20-cent/kWh charge in California for those without the free plan.

If they own it (which I am assuming they do), they can charge rent to whomever is providing the 24/7 services that they want. Yes, they should be able to have a revenue stream from the superchargers themselves, but it would relatively small vs. being a landlord of a commercial property. Many commercial property leases are not just "rent", but also a cut of the profits--you can either pay a high monthly fixed cost or pay a lower fixed cost with a percentage of the profits, or just one or the other. (This is assuming they bring in a renter/company to provide the services. If they go on their own, well your point maybe more valid)

If there is space nearby, once they get this up and running, if they can acquire the lands next door, they could generate more money by offering additional land to have more commercial tenants and eateries, etc... always better to be the landlord. Tesla REIT--just throwing it out there...;)

Doubt the supercharger model will have to be onerous if they are smart about being a landlord. Why do businesses want superchargers? It draws in traffic. Traffic=money. This model is one of the best ways Tesla could profit from Superchargers without putting the burden on Tesla owners. Now if there is greater adoption of Superchargers by other EV makers*, then you will see an explosion of profits from the superchargers themselves, and I would think that Tesla would reduce the charges to Tesla owners at that point.

*now why would they do that? Well, it's one of the largest and best high speed DC network out there, despite the griping and negativity about it that we see. Once Tesla builds it out that it becomes ubiquitous, everyone will want to use it (they already want to now, see the youtube videos about the guy making adapters for non-Teslas to use Tesla HPWC).

That why I think it would make more sense to increase Tejon to 40 and just put 10 in Kettleman.

If the main point is to supporting Model 3 or MS 70D and below, coming from Orange County or inland Empire, they'll need to stop way earlier than Kettleman. All those smaller stop in between are useful for those with higher range and can easily skip Tejon.

If the main point is to supporting Model 3 or MS 70D and below, coming from Orange County or inland Empire, they'll need to stop way earlier than Kettleman.

Maybe Tesla knows something that you don't?

Examples could be:
  • The grid at Tejon can't support 40 Superchargers
  • They can't get land owners at Tejon to give/lease them 40 parking spaces, as well as the space for the necessary equipment.
  • The Model 3 will have more range than you think.
  • etc.

That why I think it would make more sense to increase Tejon to 40 and just put 10 in Kettleman.

If the main point is to supporting Model 3 or MS 70D and below, coming from Orange County or inland Empire, they'll need to stop way earlier than Kettleman. All those smaller stop in between are useful for those with higher range and can easily skip Tejon.

The world extends beyond Orange County.

Kettleman City is THE stopping point for anyone coming from the Fresno metro (population over 1 million) to the coastal beach cities (pismo, etc)

Reactions: Mark Z

There is also a gray pin on Santa Clarita. So, from OC you could stop there for a 15 minute bathroom break, then stop for lunch in Kettleman if that works out in your schedule.

The way they are spreading these out on I-5 makes a lot of sense because it gives you the flexibility to stop when you're ready to stop instead of only when the car needs to stop.

There is also a gray pin on Santa Clarita. So, from OC you could stop there for a 15 minute bathroom break, then stop for lunch in Kettleman if that works out in your schedule.

The way they are spreading these out on I-5 makes a lot of sense because it gives you the flexibility to stop when you're ready to stop instead of only when the car needs to stop.
It's 165 mi from Burbank to Kettleman, so just about a perfect distance, possibly allowing some folks to skip Tejon Ranch, Buttonwillow, Bakersfield, and even Harris Ranch. Also, once the future Santa Clarita SC is in place, the jump to Kettleman is even shorter. Plus, we don't know the size of Santa Clarita, maybe it will be 40-stalls as well. In that case, I would definitely skip all those others and preferentially plan on stopping at the 40-stall SC. I had to charge at both Harris and Tejon on my last and only trip to LA, plus needed destination charging in Monrovia to make the return (no Burbank SC at the time). More SC's and stalls are definitely better.

Maybe if you were only going to/from LA but this is a big takeoff point for those going to/from the coast with no intentions of getting anywhere near LA or it's environs.

It is 149 miles from our garage in Fresno to my sister-in-law's home in Shell Beach. There is really no reason to stop in Kettleman unless one has children or dogs that need tending to. And there just ain't much in Kettleman City unless one is craving an animal style In'n'Out. :) One hundred fifty miles is an easy drive for any Tesla vehicle in any California weather condition.

Atascadero SC to Kettleman City is only about 60 miles or so, generally too soon for a charge with Harris Ranch or Gustine within reach for those heading north. Maybe those who are in Sta. Barbara would utilize Kettleman City over Harris Ranch.

So, I really do not see this location as getting much usage for those going to or from the San Luis Obispo area. Sure, nice to have, but not likely to be a popular stop.

But time will tell! (And maybe Tesla and another manufacturer {Volvo?} will soon announce a joint venture to utilize these Tesla SuperDuper charging stations--could this be the driving force?)

Don't touch that dial! Stay tuned!

Reactions: GoTslaGo and ohmman
Maybe the steroid Supercharger stops along I-5 are more geared towards the Tesla trucks coming up down the road...? I'm sure they will have plenty of stops to make along the way to drop off and pick up merchandise in surrounding cities along their route.

One hundred fifty miles is an easy drive for any Tesla vehicle in any California weather condition
True...unless you are in an X towing a camper trailer, in which case your range is cut in half and 150 miles is close to the limit of what you can manage even at 55mph with no headwind. :cool:

I know that only a tiny fraction of Tesla owners tow camper trailers. But for those who do, the more Supercharger locations the better! I am sure that next year when I get my camper trailer I will be looking forward to the Kettleman City location opening up.

Is it any quieter?
Quieter, yes. Quiet, not really. I would say that it's about half as loud when operating, but the good thing is that there's no such thing as idling, so it just turns off when you're not squeezing the trigger. Really powerful, though.

I wore noise canceling earbuds when I used my gas blower, and I don't need those with this one. Sorry I don't have exact numbers (and sorry for the off topic discussion, everyone).