Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kill Devil Hills, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was found in the "Nagshead charging?" thread - Nagshead charging?

Thanks to @OBX John who found this pic on Facebook:

tesla-chargers-jpg.411893

Address is: Harris Teeter, 2012 S Croatan Hwy, Kill Devil Hills, NC 27948, USA

Looks like it is the north property boundary going by street view. Disclaimer, I'm obviously not a local!

This will be very helpful for visitors to the Outer Banks. I went out there with my S90D a bout a year and a half ago and had to stop at a B&B type destination charger in Manteo to top off just to be safe. Looking at Plugshare now I believe it was the Roanoke Island Inn. Very nice couple who owned the place moved their model X so I could top off there even though I ultimately decided not to stay there and push out to Nags Head instead.

I’ve gotta love all these weird town names on this peninsula:
- Nags Head, I guess you get nagged a lot here.
- Kill Devil Hill, this is hell, basically? I can just imagine a 3 year old saying “I live in Kill the Devil’s hill!”
- Kitty Hawk, sounds like a mutated bird-cat
- Duck, you might as well have have called it Quack

- Kill Devil Hill, this is hell, basically? I can just imagine a 3 year old saying “I live in Kill the Devil’s hill!”

It's pretty cool how they all have a history behind the names - Outer Banks Town Names | Where did they come from?

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: CatB and jthompson
Yes because there are definitely no weirdo names in Quebec. I still have a picture somewhere of Saint-Louis-du-Ha!-Ha!

Are Supercharger pedestals being installed on a 90° rotation now? I don't think that I've seen pedestals installed quite like this before, that is, rather than being "flat" along the vehicle's rear bumper.

Tesla likes to mix it up from time to time. I’ve seen similar configurations in a couple of places. It’s an interesting look and helps keep people from backing into them.

I'll check on this location Wednesday as I drive past on my way to Buxton. Looks like its nearly done in the pic.... If I new it was operational I would not stop at the Norfolk Supercharger, but at Kill Devil Hills instead. I could always ask my car I guess.

weird that this location isn't on the tesla website as a planned site. But good for us as we have family up there

If you see Tesla website, it shows Point Harbor, NC location as Target opening in 2019.

Tesla does that most of the time to keep suspense for exact location of new SC. Maybe keep people and other companies guessing while they fill the paperwork and get permits.

But long story short it builds SC within 10-15 mile radius. Highly unlikely that both of these locations within few miles will have SC.

Reactions: BrownMS
Are Supercharger pedestals being installed on a 90° rotation now? I don't think that I've seen pedestals installed quite like this before, that is, rather than being "flat" along the vehicle's rear bumper.

I think this has become the preferred approach, for sites that have the depth for it.

It allows folks with racks on bumper hitches to use it without worrying.

Still doesn't help people pulling trailers, of course.

Have been using the Inn on Pamlico Sound for the last five years as my go stop, if the rental is lacking a 20amp line. Steve Nelson was the first to put in a Nema 14/50 way back in (2014). He got a destination charger soon their after. If your heading down that way, stop in and say hello, he's a nice guy and the Inn is defiantly at the top of our list for a B&B on the Island.

A supercharge in Kill Devil Hill will make the return trip a snap.