Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kill Devil Hills, NC

May 12, 2019
Maryland
I did not see if the new charger is V2 or V3 - I don't know if I would know what to look for. In any case I am thinking of using it on the way back, but that is not until Tuesday of next week.

DMC5180

Oct 13, 2018
Reedsburg, WI
The visual difference between V2 and V3 is the Charge cable. The V3 cable is smaller (2/3) of a V2 cable and liquid cooled. Also the V3 Tesla towers would NOT be labeled 1A 1B 2A 2B etc. Just 1,2,3,4,5,6 no more load sharing.

Todd Burch

Voltage makes me tingle.
Nov 3, 2009
Smithfield, VA
To clarify, these Superchargers are likely V3-capable but only V2-operational for now.

My understanding is that V3 is only live in beta locations in California so Tesla can do more testing before rolling it worldwide.

OBX John

Autonomous Driving Enthusiast
Nov 20, 2016
Outer Banks, North Carolina
To clarify, these Superchargers are likely V3-capable but only V2-operational for now.

My understanding is that V3 is only live in beta locations in California so Tesla can do more testing before rolling it worldwide.

It had the thick cables like all the other chargers I'd used, would they be replaced with the thinner liquid cooled? Also, there were two chargers per white cabinet - doesn't V3 require something different?

Big Earl

bnkwupt
Jul 12, 2017
Springfield, VA

V3 locations will have completely different cabinets and cabling. Not a simple switch... more like completely overhauling the site to go from one to the other.

SarahsDad

Aug 2, 2013
NC
Definitely V2 - thick charging cable. Charged there successfully today...
426992.jpg

May 12, 2019
Maryland
I charged at this station this morning. Only reached 30kw charging, even though I had the place to myself, but did not get billed. I had left Buxton with 90% charge, so I was just topping off to reach Richmond, or the Glenn Allen station. Its great to have this on the OBX.

dsnows

Feb 14, 2017
Winchester, VA
Are Supercharger pedestals being installed on a 90° rotation now? I don't think that I've seen pedestals installed quite like this before, that is, rather than being "flat" along the vehicle's rear bumper.

I’ve only seen that orientation where they are on the lane lines and you back in next to it. Not seen it like this before.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC