Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - King of Prussia, PA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got to charge at the Devon SC SC the other week

Screenshot_20191101-041830.png

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
They told me it’s not a true supercharger when I was there last time. At your rate I’m guessing about 180 miles an hour which is 4 times faster than AC charging in a model 3. Not bad.

I've been told it is a supercharger by the delivery team (I didn't have a home charger yet), but I imagine that they don't want to promote it too much considering how congested that lot is and that it is probably busy during the day. It obviously isn't a very practical solution unless you just happen to live nearby - getting to it from 476 is probably 15-20min in traffic and you wouldn't want to do that just to find it busy/blocked/etc. Actually, from the Rt 30 exit on 476 it probably isn't much longer to drive to Claymont, which would be a sure thing.

But, if you're desperate or just happen to be close it is certainly an option.

• Helpful
Reactions: gavine
I've been told it is a supercharger by the delivery team (I didn't have a home charger yet), but I imagine that they don't want to promote it too much considering how congested that lot is and that it is probably busy during the day. It obviously isn't a very practical solution unless you just happen to live nearby - getting to it from 476 is probably 15-20min in traffic and you wouldn't want to do that just to find it busy/blocked/etc. Actually, from the Rt 30 exit on 476 it probably isn't much longer to drive to Claymont, which would be a sure thing.

But, if you're desperate or just happen to be close it is certainly an option.
I didn’t realize that one was open to the public. Paramus NJ is listed on the site as a SC, i don’t think Devon is though.

@Felickz Where is the high capacity charger at the Devon SC? I live walking distance from there and have used some of the HPWC's they have on the outside, but didn't notice anything that looked like a Supercharger. Is it outside, or in the service bay?
not sure, likely inside the garage only used to test charging hardware ( they had to replace my onboard charger $2500 btw)

I didn’t realize that one was open to the public. Paramus NJ is listed on the site as a SC, i don’t think Devon is though.

When I picked up my 3 a few months ago I had asked them beforehand if they could bring the charge up to 95% as i was planning on taking a trip to NY that day. They forgot to do it, and when I asked, the lady that was helping me went and brought it over to the super charger while she gave us the initial "here's how your car works" tour. She said they don't normally let customers use it (it's probably just to quickly charge cars that are in for service or delivery).

Also, nice username :D

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
I just noticed Allentown is still out of service. That creates a 140mi gap between Scranton and Claymont. Going into winter that is probably pushing it for a M3SR going highway speeds...
While it is significantly underpowered and Tesla has it flagged as out of service, it is not down completely. I charged at Allentown last week and got as much as 61KW to start. Apparently from what I have read the problem is not the chargers but the power feeding them. Just plan to be there a while.

i was at the tesla store last night and pushed the sales guy for an answer. he said they are “evaluating sites in KoP” and that he expected the SC to be installed 1Q20. he intimated that the holdup is convincing Simon properties of the value of putting the SC at the mall. he strongly suggested that owners tell Simon properties they want a SC. I asked him why? and he grinned when I asked him if Simon was the holdup. also asked him why they wouldn’t put it behind the Wegmans. he didn’t know

i’ve also emailed two people (Henry Misas and Jesse Karp) at Tesla. no response

The 5 destination chargers are full by 10:10 every morning, so Simon should know there is demand. Mall is not ideal location though bc of idle fees.most people spend well over an hour in mall and won't want to move car half way through trip.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
I doubt its Simon holding it up. There are a number of other Simon properties that have superchargers so they know the value of them. In addition if it was Simon, Tesla would just put it somewhere else nearby. It maybe PECO, although the upcoming Bensalem supercharger is PECO territory so that theory doesn't hold either.

My guess would be that Tesla has just had a number of false starts that ran into the typical issues with permits or lease holders killing each site after it was in work for a number of months.

Hopefully they will get something worked out soon.