Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kingman, AZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A bunch of us folks from Las Vegas drove down for the opening to fill up all the stalls (which we did, and then some!). My wife and I went through again the following weekend, and there was a change from the original configuration. At opening there was an empty space 1 spot from the front charger, and a parking line had been covered over, making an extra-large single spot with one charger where there was space for two. When we went back the following weekend, the line was back again and a new charger filled the empty spot. So they must have been making that change, and possibly other adjustments in the first week when it said 'reduced service'.

IMG_20220122_141728-001.jpg

Here is a Dropbox link with all the photos of the event that were taken by the City of Kingman:

And here is my YouTube link to the Route 66 light show that I premiered at the event. :)

I passed through Kingman today around 2pm on the drive from Vegas to Phx and charged at the new V3 Kingman site. Arrived and there were only 6 open stalls (after noticing the older Carl's Jr. site was mostly full too). Stalls were turning over quickly as expected w V3. This new site was sorely needed and already being heavily used during peak times. Much appreciated, Tesla!

In addition, the visitors center was open and the nice lady inside said they are now open 7 days a week! Clean restrooms, a couple vending machines with soda and water, gift shop, and a decent place to walk thru for 15 minutes during a charge session. Mr D's Diner across the street was hopping too, with most of the outdoor seating filled. A pleasant upgrade from the dumpy Carl's Jr location.

I, again, hit up my contact in Seligman, AZ, which is the best place for a SC in between Kingman to Flagstaff. Fingers crossed.
Update - I heard from reliable a "birdie" that Tesla may be looking at a Chevron gas station to build one in Seligman, AZ??!! (I believe there are 2 Chevron Stations in Seligman, AZ), but I've heard nothing since. If anyone is driving though, take a look at these locations to see if any action is happening.

Update - I heard from reliable a "birdie" that Tesla may be looking at a Chevron gas station to build one in Seligman, AZ??!! (I believe there are 2 Chevron Stations in Seligman, AZ), but I've heard nothing since. If anyone is driving though, take a look at these locations to see if any action is happening.
If true, that would most certainly be Johnson's Travel Center. I used to stop there from time to time in my ICE days. It isn't exactly what I would call "nice," but it will get the job done. It has a Subway, typical truck stop amenities, and a kitschy gift shop. Most importantly it's an easy on/off I-40.

If true, that would most certainly be Johnson's Travel Center. I used to stop there from time to time in my ICE days. It isn't exactly what I would call "nice," but it will get the job done. It has a Subway, typical truck stop amenities, and a kitschy gift shop. Most importantly it's an easy on/off I-40.
I drove through Seligman and checked out both Chevrons. No sign of construction or anything like that. I have to amend the quoted post to say that I actually kinda liked the Chevron in town better than the Johnson's Travel Center out on the highway. The one in town actually seemed to have more space, mostly because they don't cater to semis unlike Johnson's Travel Center which is basically a truck stop.

I could see them putting the supercharger in the back where there are more than 10 parking spaces that are apparently never used. It's basically just a gas station/convenience store with an A&W inside. Inexplicably the A&W closes at 5:30pm though. It is a 1 mile diversion from the freeway but there are no stop lights and the speed limit was fairly high, 45mph I believe. There are also a lot of businesses in the town that are within walking distance.

Johnson's Travel Center on the other hand is immediately off the freeway, easy on/off in both directions, but there's nothing else within walking distance. It's a small truck stop with a Subway inside. I didn't see a ton of space for a supercharger in the existing lot, but it's open desert all around it so who knows, they might just expand the lot.

Oh and it looks like Johnson's is open 24 hours while the Chevron in town closes from 10pm-6am. So that's another point in favor of the Travel Center.

I know some folks in Seligman who are very interested in getting Tesla to put superchargers in there - at the west end of town their family owns the Roadkill Grill, Route 66 General Store and Route 66 Motel. Westside Lilo's restaurant is across the street and so is the post office, and that second Chevron (with A&W inside). I've been filling out the online form and sending their contact info in the ways that I'm able, but with no real personal contact at Tesla to actually get a discussion going, Tesla's wants/needs/plans for a site are a mystery. Seligman is pretty sorely needed, especially eastbound with that big climb up the mountains towards Flagstaff.

I know some folks in Seligman who are very interested in getting Tesla to put superchargers in there - at the west end of town their family owns the Roadkill Grill, Route 66 General Store and Route 66 Motel. Westside Lilo's restaurant is across the street and so is the post office, and that second Chevron (with A&W inside). I've been filling out the online form and sending their contact info in the ways that I'm able, but with no real personal contact at Tesla to actually get a discussion going, Tesla's wants/needs/plans for a site are a mystery. Seligman is pretty sorely needed, especially eastbound with that big climb up the mountains towards Flagstaff.
If you want to get more visibility for this there is a Change.org requesting this:

Reactions: ProphetM