Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kingman, AZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have seen a SpC-host contract; in it the slots are called "charging" slots, NOT "parking" slots. The non-lawyer in me thinks that makes a difference.

You can jump on that grenade. I'll get the next one.....

Kingman

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 4.JPG
photo 5.JPG

Kingman Supercharger just works

The wife, dog, and I decided to take the day off on Friday (2014-Jan-24) to visit the Kingman supercharger. No problems whatsoever. Be prepared however to get some curious folks stopping by to ask questions.

Attachments

• IMG_0162.jpg
    IMG_0162.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 420
The wife, dog, and I decided to take the day off on Friday (2014-Jan-24) to visit the Kingman supercharger. No problems whatsoever. Be prepared however to get some curious folks stopping by to ask questions.
Good to know! Where in Phoenix did you come from and do you recall how many miles you had left when you arrived in Kingman? Planning a trip to Vegas next week, would love to take my p85...

...Where in Phoenix did you come from and do you recall how many miles you had left when you arrived in Kingman?...

We were doing a loop for the day: Home (roughly 101/Tatum) -- >Quartzsite --> Kingman --> Flagstaff --> Home.

The Quartzite to Kingman leg was North on 95, through Lake Havasu City. The dog had never seen the London Bridge, so we took a brief stop there to check it out. Probably averaged 55 MPH due to the RV traffic on this leg. I really couldn't get 'er up to a 75mph cruise until we turned East on I-40, heading to Kingman.

The Stats:
Used 160 Rated Miles for 138 Road Miles.
Temperature was in the low 60's (F).

I was in Europe on business a few years back and took the english channel tunnel from Paris to London. Remarkably unremarkable. This Supercharger thing is eerily similar in that it just works and is devoid of drama. Awesome.

Yesterday I drove from North Phoenix to Las Vegas with 3 business associates, fully loaded with cargo including 2 sets of golf clubs in my 85. Average speed on the 60 was about 68 mph. Started with a range charge, ended up in Kingman with 8 rated miles remaining. A little too close for comfort for me - looking forward to having the Wickenberg charger operational. Nonetheless it was a great trip, supercharging is marvelous. Fairly certain I sold 3 Tesla's as well.

Yesterday I drove from North Phoenix to Las Vegas with 3 business associates, fully loaded with cargo including 2 sets of golf clubs in my 85. Average speed on the 60 was about 68 mph. Started with a range charge, ended up in Kingman with 8 rated miles remaining. A little too close for comfort for me - looking forward to having the Wickenberg charger operational. Nonetheless it was a great trip, supercharging is marvelous. Fairly certain I sold 3 Tesla's as well.

Nicely done Paul! I will be doing this drive also in about a month… wish me luck in getting to Kingman! :)
I'm considering Dazzo's RV park in Wikieup as a backup. If anyone has the opportunity, I'd love to know how many rated miles it takes from Dazzo's to the Kingman supercharger.

EVTripPlanner says that you will need 72 rated miles in an 85 on 19" wheels, driving the speed limit, all other parameters nominal. Love to hear what you get.

I've got a 60, but its a bit cold still (45-50 degrees, esp. as I hit the higher elevations). Address to address EVTP says 70 rated at speed limit, 74 if I go 5% faster.

I'm gonna charge to 100 to be totally safe since this is my first trip. And the low temps took more out of me than I planned to get to this point.

I've got a 60, but its a bit cold still (45-50 degrees, esp. as I hit the higher elevations). Address to address EVTP says 70 rated at speed limit, 74 if I go 5% faster.

I'm gonna charge to 100 to be totally safe since this is my first trip. And the low temps took more out of me than I planned to get to this point.

With range mode on, the sun out, and a gentle headwind you should be fine with 100 rated miles. Have fun!

Kingman Weather.png

Once you get to I-40, it's a coast home.

Jomo25, that's a good plan, especially as you are new to the road-tripping thing. Suggest you also start out driving at 5mph under and see how it goes; you can always speed up on the back half if things look good. As you get more experience you'll be willing to shave the charging times a little more. Don't forget, you can actually save time overall when faced with a slower mid-day charge by driving slower than you think is reasonable: it reduces charging time by much more than you would save by driving faster. When driving supercharger-to-supercharger, drive as fast as you like so long as you can get to the next one without undue anxiety: with Superchargers, driving time trumps charging time, and it's also a good idea to arrive at a supercharger as close to empty as you're comfortable with.

By the way, in my experience 45-50 degrees is pretty close to nominal, especially if the sun is shining to reduce heating loads. It's only when the temps dip below freezing that you see big increases in Wh/mi.

Reactions: rpez021