Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kingman, AZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I would like to be able to do a road trip from Phoenix to Las Vegas, but I just won’t until Tesla does something about Kingman. I guess the Phoenix to LA route has gotten all the love in 2019...
Even though Kingman isn't my favorite supercharger, it isn't so bad that I wouldn't do the trip. I make the Phoenix to Vegas trip 4-6 times a year. I have only had to wait one time, and that was for a short period.

My last trip was at Christmas. On Christmas day we got there fairly early and there were only a couple of cars there. On the return trip we got there earlier than usual (we gained an hour coming back into AZ) and it wasn't too crowded when we got there but filled up with 6 cars just as we finished charging.

• Informative
Reactions: PStewart
I just read thru this after talking with my wife about driving up to Vegas and am not excited about the essentially unavoidable Kingman stop.

I didn’t see it mentioned anywhere so...is there any conduit for commenting back to Tesla about the Kingman Supercharger problem?

Honestly in nearly all of the Phoenix valley there is an inordinately high concentration of Teslas. I bet many of those people would or do drive to Vegas.

if everyone sent a message to Tesla about this I bet it would at least get some attention. I mean, if the start date of this thread is correct, they were building this thing SEVEN YEARS AGO!!!

Cheers!

Telsa has a supercharger email address, though I think it is meant for reporting SC outages or broken connectors etc.
[email protected]
I guess if everyone that gets to Kingman and has a slow charging experience reports it, that would help. With any luck Tesla will upgrade this route in 2020 with new V3 SuperChargers like they did in Ehrenberg!

I read somewhere in the local Tesla FB group posts that the same guy who opened the New River, AZ supercharger on the Shell gas station struck a deal with Tesla to open one at the Shell in between Kingman and Hoover Dam.

Is that the SC located where old US93 hits the new I-11? They call it the Henderson SC but it's actually 5 or so miles southeast of Henderson.

It's approximately another 80 miles past Kingman if you're heading to Vegas from PHX, and I'm fairly certain only a long-range S could make it to the Henderson SC.

So the Henderson SC has 12 stalls, vs the Kingman with 6. Henderson is pointless since you can't make it to PHX from Henderson without a charging stop, so something has to be done about Kingman.

I figure if enough people bug the crap out of Tesla about the awful state of the 6-year old Kingman SC, maybe they'll do something about it.

I just emailed two addresses at Tesla with a message that others could modify and send very easily. I'll post the message next...

Here's the email to Tesla addresses:

[email protected]
[email protected]

Good morning,

I am writing to report on the Kingman, Arizona supercharger, built in early 2014.

This SC is the primary Supercharger between Phoenix and Las Vegas and cannot be bypassed as there is not another SC within range.

There are only 6 stalls at this SC to support all the Tesla traffic between Phoenix & Vegas and with the Tesla population in Phoenix growing dramatically, the Kingman SC is now the bottleneck of travel between these cities. At typical travel hours, we're now experiencing long waits with 5+ cars waiting in line to charge, made worse because the charge rates vary wildly, routinely below 20kWh.

The volume of Tesla traffic travelling the Phoenix-Vegas route now FAR exceeds the capability of this 6-stall SC, and this location is critical to people who live in Phoenix & Las Vegas who make this drive for work or pleasure. It is in desperate need of upgrading.

Thanks for your attention to this matter!

Maybe it helps, maybe it doesn't, but they can't fix what they don't know about, so I figure it's worth a try.

Cheers!

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Here's the email to Tesla addresses:

[email protected]
[email protected]

Good morning,

I am writing to report on the Kingman, Arizona supercharger, built in early 2014.

This SC is the primary Supercharger between Phoenix and Las Vegas and cannot be bypassed as there is not another SC within range.

There are only 6 stalls at this SC to support all the Tesla traffic between Phoenix & Vegas and with the Tesla population in Phoenix growing dramatically, the Kingman SC is now the bottleneck of travel between these cities. At typical travel hours, we're now experiencing long waits with 5+ cars waiting in line to charge, made worse because the charge rates vary wildly, routinely below 20kWh.

The volume of Tesla traffic travelling the Phoenix-Vegas route now FAR exceeds the capability of this 6-stall SC, and this location is critical to people who live in Phoenix & Las Vegas who make this drive for work or pleasure. It is in desperate need of upgrading.

Thanks for your attention to this matter!

Maybe it helps, maybe it doesn't, but they can't fix what they don't know about, so I figure it's worth a try.

Cheers!

I hope your letter is read by the powers that be who lurk behind the curtain.

However, I would have liked you to add that Kingman is not only required for Phoenix-Vegas travelers, but it is just as important for traveling between Flagstaff and California. No model can make Barstow to Flagstaff without stopping. Perhaps some of the newer models could make it from Needles to Flagstaff, but Needles is a four-stall Supercharger at a Dairy Queen, and often one of the stalls is ICEd. :)

I hope your letter is read by the powers that be who lurk behind the curtain.

However, I would have liked you to add that Kingman is not only required for Phoenix-Vegas travelers, but it is just as important for traveling between Flagstaff and California. No model can make Barstow to Flagstaff without stopping. Perhaps some of the newer models could make it from Needles to Flagstaff, but Needles is a four-stall Supercharger at a Dairy Queen, and often one of the stalls is ICEd. :)

Good point!

I think the key is going to be people emailing and calling. In many instances the squeaky wheel may get the grease...

Is that the SC located where old US93 hits the new I-11? They call it the Henderson SC but it's actually 5 or so miles southeast of Henderson.

It's approximately another 80 miles past Kingman if you're heading to Vegas from PHX, and I'm fairly certain only a long-range S could make it to the Henderson SC.

So the Henderson SC has 12 stalls, vs the Kingman with 6. Henderson is pointless since you can't make it to PHX from Henderson without a charging stop, so something has to be done about Kingman.

I figure if enough people bug the crap out of Tesla about the awful state of the 6-year old Kingman SC, maybe they'll do something about it.

I just emailed two addresses at Tesla with a message that others could modify and send very easily. I'll post the message next...
While not ideal, stopping at Wickenburg to top off and then going the 211 miles to Henderson is doable for most modern Teslas. I would definitely use this tactic if I knew I was going to hit Kingman at a busy time.

Also, BustinJeebs was talking about a new not-yet built supercharger. I too would like to know which Shell station. There is really only one in between Kingman and Vegas and it's in the middle of nowhere, but it would provide excellent spacing. There is also one back in Kingman along Beale Street just on the other side of the freeway from the current supercharger at the same exit.

While not ideal, stopping at Wickenburg to top off and then going the 211 miles to Henderson is doable for most modern Teslas. I would definitely use this tactic if I knew I was going to hit Kingman at a busy time.

Also, BustinJeebs was talking about a new not-yet built supercharger. I too would like to know which Shell station. There is really only one in between Kingman and Vegas and it's in the middle of nowhere, but it would provide excellent spacing. There is also one back in Kingman along Beale Street just on the other side of the freeway from the current supercharger at the same exit.
From what I read, it’s not the one in Kingman, it’s the one in Willow Beach.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9 and PLUS EV
Good point!

I think the key is going to be people emailing and calling. In many instances the squeaky wheel may get the grease...

While CALLING Tesla about a SC that had been vandalized in CA, I also added about my consistent issues when going to the Kingman, AZ SC. The lady on the phone was very nice and promised to note both locations to the SC support group for me. The number is on the SC stands.

I would suggest calling them either when you are at the Kingman, AZ SC or when reporting an issue with another SC and add the Kingman, AZ to your complaint. The more that dog pile on this the better. It needs 2-4 more stalls and upgraded to 250KW. A Solar canopy would be great, too. It gets very hot there.

The info on supercharge.info doesn't reflect 4x 72kw superchargers here. 10 total instead of 6. not sure whether it is temporary or not but in the car's screen it does show 10 superchargers as well
It doesn't reflect that because no one had reported it here. I assume those were the urban variety on pallets, each one having 3 cords, but only 2 of them active? If so, those usually top out at 50kW.

@Chuq @MarcoRP

It doesn't reflect that because no one had reported it here. I assume those were the urban variety on pallets, each one having 3 cords, but only 2 of them active? If so, those usually top out at 50kW.

@Chuq @MarcoRP

From one of the Las Vegas FB pages a week ago.

Attachments

• BE703494-E60E-4708-A366-93481E0F404B.jpeg
    BE703494-E60E-4708-A366-93481E0F404B.jpeg
    218.6 KB · Views: 155
  • A9DD49FF-D8C6-43F9-896E-1E542AF4A53D.png
    A9DD49FF-D8C6-43F9-896E-1E542AF4A53D.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 127
Reactions: JBT66 and mociaf9