Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kingman, AZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is the +4 temp stalls added on Sat Oct 17 at 5pm. On the main 6 it was 2/6 occupied including myself.
IMG_20201017_165039__01__01.jpg

Reactions: K3Man and mociaf9
Historically, do the temporary chargers precede SC upgrades?
I would say it's indicative that they know they need more capacity on this route. That doesn't necessarily mean they will add stalls to this supercharger location. They could put another supercharger in Kingman. I wouldn't mind seeing one over in the main part of town. Or they could add one in Seligman or Ash Fork, or even expand or add a new one in Needles, to help with I-40 traffic. There really aren't many options other than Kingman along US93 between Wickenburg and the new one in White Hills. There are some gas stations in places like Nothing but they might even have electrical supply issues in some of those areas. OTOH, this route is supposedly being upgraded to Interstate standards (Interstate 11) eventually so maybe there will also be electrical supply upgrades that come along with that.

Reactions: Big Ike
I would say it's indicative that they know they need more capacity on this route. That doesn't necessarily mean they will add stalls to this supercharger location. They could put another supercharger in Kingman. I wouldn't mind seeing one over in the main part of town. Or they could add one in Seligman or Ash Fork, or even expand or add a new one in Needles, to help with I-40 traffic. There really aren't many options other than Kingman along US93 between Wickenburg and the new one in White Hills. There are some gas stations in places like Nothing but they might even have electrical supply issues in some of those areas. OTOH, this route is supposedly being upgraded to Interstate standards (Interstate 11) eventually so maybe there will also be electrical supply upgrades that come along with that.

I have sent info to a Seligman city official that requested info. And I send an email to Tesla Super Charger group on the same. Fingers crossed that they work out a spot to add a SuperCharger in that area.

I actually drove this route today and I wanted to clarify that I meant to say Wikieup rather than Nothing. There really is nothing in Nothing. I literally didn't even notice driving through it. I had thought many years ago that there was something like a biker saloon there, but maybe I'm confused or maybe the highway construction routed around whatever used to be there. In any case, Wikieup is the only place on that stretch of highway that seems like it could maybe host a supercharger.

This site either needs to be replaced or upgraded badly. I'm not sure anything in between would be able to support very much in the way of superchargers. Does anyone know why this location is still limited to 120kW rather than the full 150kW? Comparing it to an old site like Wickenburg or Flagstaff both show 150kW.

Reactions: BigWaveDragon
This site either needs to be replaced or upgraded badly. I'm not sure anything in between would be able to support very much in the way of superchargers. Does anyone know why this location is still limited to 120kW rather than the full 150kW? Comparing it to an old site like Wickenburg or Flagstaff both show 150kW.
I know Flagstaff added stalls at one point (I remember when it was only 4) so they probably upgraded it then. I was just at Wickenburg and the stalls were laid out 1A 2A 3A 1B 2B 3B 4A 4B, so I'm assuming the 4th cabinet was added at some point and they probably upgraded that at the same time as well. I can't remember if it used to be 6 stalls off the top of my head but it definitely sounds right.

Kingman has never added stalls other than the temporary urban pallet charges just recently so that's probably why it hasn't been upgraded. All 3 of these superchargers are "legacy" locations dating back to 2014.

Reactions: BigWaveDragon
Just visited on Saturday, May 15, 2021. Such a busy supercharger, and terrible speeds. If you're leaving Vegas or going to it, only charge enough to get to white hills 250kw. Or Make sure you stop in White Hills to make sure you dont have to charge long in Kingman.
Kingman has needed an overhaul for quite a while. Got stuck here waiting in line for an hour once. Luckily the additional 4 temporary stalls have helped out a bit. The site does need to be upgraded to V3 and with some additional stalls though.

Mods, please delete if my post is considered inappropriate.

I am in creating a video series for the Irish EV Owners Association YouTube channel, documenting a road trip I did in 2019 in a rented Model 3 from San Francisco to Los Angeles, Las Vegas, The Grand Canyon, Page, AZ, Death Valley, Mammoth Lakes and Yosemite National Park.

I took lots of photos but because I wasn't thinking about making a video at the time, I am missing photos of most of the superchargers we visited, which is something I'd like to talk about in the video.

If anyone has any photos of this supercharger that I can use, please send them to [email protected].

This is part 1:

Reactions: CO_MY
Mods, please delete if my post is considered inappropriate.

I am in creating a video series for the Irish EV Owners Association YouTube channel, documenting a road trip I did in 2019 in a rented Model 3 from San Francisco to Los Angeles, Las Vegas, The Grand Canyon, Page, AZ, Death Valley, Mammoth Lakes and Yosemite National Park.

I took lots of photos but because I wasn't thinking about making a video at the time, I am missing photos of most of the superchargers we visited, which is something I'd like to talk about in the video.

If anyone has any photos of this supercharger that I can use, please send them to [email protected].

This is part 1:
Have you tried scrolling through this thread? There are lots of pics.

Also, Google Images and Google StreetView are likely sources.

The superchargers between Flagstaff and Barstow (specifically - Needles & Kingman) are terribly Insufficient. We are traveling today and the weather is very hot (excess of 110 degrees) so I needed to stop at both… Charging to 90% at each and I got to Barstow with 15% battery left.

First at Kingman as everyone knows is co-located with a Carl’s JR. But another burger was not appealing, so we go across the highway to a subway , but getting back to the supercharger is challenging (So much traffic). At least the bathrooms at the Carl’s junior were not totally disgusting (don‘t interpret this as praise).

Needles location with only 4 chargers is outrageous. Here the site was beyond disgusting.

This route was bad a few years ago, and what we have today is so bad that if I could avoid the route I would. So very disappointing that Tesla doesn’t give a crap.

Phil

The superchargers between Flagstaff and Barstow (specifically - Needles & Kingman) are terribly Insufficient. We are traveling today and the weather is very hot (excess of 110 degrees) so I needed to stop at both… Charging to 90% at each and I got to Barstow with 15% battery left.

First at Kingman as everyone knows is co-located with a Carl’s JR. But another burger was not appealing, so we go across the highway to a subway , but getting back to the supercharger is challenging (So much traffic). At least the bathrooms at the Carl’s junior were not totally disgusting (don‘t interpret this as praise).

Needles location with only 4 chargers is outrageous. Here the site was beyond disgusting.

This route was bad a few years ago, and what we have today is so bad that if I could avoid the route I would. So very disappointing that Tesla doesn’t give a crap.

Phil
Recommend a call and complain immediately, or send an email, relating this content.

Tesla won't act absent complaints, or so it appears . . . .

Please do this as you have personal experience and that counts for far more than anyone else's input that hasn't been there yet.

Thanks!

Phil
Curious what was disgusting about Needles. You didn't provide any details. Also, I'm assuming you didn't have to wait for a stall or else you would have said so?

I drove from So. Cal. to North Carolina on I-40. Both Kingman and Flagstaff sites were abysmal for supercharging. Both sites had chargers that were inoperative, a line to wait in for use (I was in each of these locations on 6-12-2021, the first day of my road trip), and because of that all chargers were running 75kW max as they are V2 chargers, with some urban chargers in Kingman.
I drove the I-10 to return to CA and all but one of the SC sites I charged at were V2 from Lake Charles, LA and west. However, I didn't experience delays on the way home, likely due to fewer Teslas east of CA than in CA. The one V3 I charged at in that stretch was just east of CA in Quartzsite, AZ. There is another V3 site along the I-10 near the state border as well. The I-40 is in dire need of V3 charging near Kingman, AZ, if not an upgrade at the V2 site. Many of the V2 sites need a "refresh" the same way the model S and X needed a "refresh". And I would add, from my experience, Flagstaff, AZ and Albuquerque, NM to the V2 sites that need more charging capacity, if not an upgrade as well.