Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kingman, AZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is time to upgrade Kingman. Thursday night 1 was inop and the other 5 were operating at reduced capacity. Max 60Kw on one paired with inop charger the rest of us were at 18 to 48Kw. I have had my S for 3 years with 98000 miles and this is the first time I have had to wait for a supercharger. 5 charging and 7 waiting in line.

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX and PLUS EV
I'm at Kingman right now, by the bail bondsman and Carl's Jr. Report from a Model 3 that pair 1A and 1B we're only serving 17kW. Couple of pics:

PANO_20190317_163322.vr.jpg
IMG_20190317_163044.jpg

I hit 111kw at one point in the charge. Went there on 6-16-19. 4 of 5 spots full. By the time I left only 1 spot taken. Started and stayed at 49kw for some time and then got going. My SOC on arrival was 25%.

There was a jam coming into Kiingman from the north apprantely due to traffic trying to get onto freeway: lots so 18 wheelers slowing things down.

This is the worst super charger I’ve ever stopped at. I am trying to make it to the Grand Canyon with the family at 2:30pm on a Friday. One person in front of me. Waited 30 mins before I got to charge. Charge rate is 19KW with 4 people charging. The charger I was paired with just left and my rate jumped up to 97kw. This is still the slowest charger I’ve ever visited.

Last edited:
This is the worst super charger I’ve ever stopped at. I am trying to make it to the Grand Canyon with the family at 2:30pm on a Friday. One person in front of me. Waited 30 mins before I got to charge. Charge rate is 19KW with 4 people charging. The charger I was paired with just left and my rate jumped up to 97kw. This is still the slowest charger I’ve ever visited.
97kW is the slowest charge rate you've ever experienced? You've obviously never been paired with anyone (until now at least) and you've never been to an urban supercharger. And to think some people think Tesla owners are entitled!

• Funny
Reactions: cwerdna and Matsayz
I make the trip from Phx to Vegas 4-5 times per year and Kingman is my least favorite supercharger. I once made it all the way to the Henderson superchargers (love those!) and bypassed Kingman, but my wife doesn't really like cutting it that close - arriving with 15 miles on the battery - so we have been stopping at Kingman. Ugh.

I'd love to see a new Kingman location with more chargers.

When’s the best time on a Friday to hit Kingman? I’m looking at 4.5 hours of driving and 25 min charging stop before I get there. Hoping to avoid the terrible experience ones are having here. Seems like both needles and Kingman are not very great spots but are on the best route to south rim of Grand Canyon from LA.

When’s the best time on a Friday to hit Kingman? I’m looking at 4.5 hours of driving and 25 min charging stop before I get there. Hoping to avoid the terrible experience ones are having here. Seems like both needles and Kingman are not very great spots but are on the best route to south rim of Grand Canyon from LA.

Check Google Maps for the location. You can scroll down to the overview and find a drop down that lets you look at the typical busy times per day of the week.

Reactions: SilverSp33d3r
So Kingman continues to be a sh!tshow. Admittedly, I hit this one at prime time (7:15pm on a Friday), but it was still worse than I expected. The issue was not so much crowding. It was full or mostly full the whole time I was there, but never a line. The problem was the slow charge rates and trying to guess who you wanted to be paired with. I believe this was further exacerbated by at least one of the pairs being slower than the others.

Anyways, I got 19kW on 3B which was the first one I tried. Someone else was complaining about a dismal charge rate on 1A (something like 20kW) so I didn't bother switching to that one when he moved. Then someone left from 2A, so I tried that stall and got 30kW. Finally I chatted with the guy in 3A and it seemed like he had been there for a while, so I moved back to 3B and this time I was getting 50kW which is not good but seemed GREAT compared to everything else. Eventually he unplugged and I started getting 80kW which is about what I would expect to get because by then I had something like a 55% SOC.

All in all, it took over an hour and a lot of jockeying for me to charge from 15% to 65%. Not good at all. And it's not like there are many options to avoid this supercharger. Needles is 60 miles away and only offers 4 stalls that are often ICEd by semis. Flagstaff to Yermo is a nearly impossible leg for any Tesla (and it is impossible in the other direction). Wickenburg to Henderson is a tough leg and only possibly with long range models. Etc.

I predict this place will be a disaster of epic proportions the day before Thanksgiving. : popcorn :

Definitely the worst supercharger I’ve ever been to for long range travel. Hopefully Tesla moves the site to where more food choices are a few miles down the road.

You need to get out more! :) I have been to a number of locations where food choices are less than robust. Lovelock, Winnemucca, West Wendover, Tooele, Evanston, Ritzville, Gallup, Quartzsite, Inyokern. Anyway, you get the idea.

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: ReddyLeaf and kelly
I've been charging at Kingman since it opened and it's a complete disaster now.

Line was 2 deep when we got there this afternoon. That costed 30min. Stall only put out 25kw max, guy next to me said he was getting only 10kw. Another 45 min charging at that abysmal rate.

Took just enough to get to Henderson where we were forced to stop again.

Couldn't bypass Kingman thanks to my 1 yr old awd m3 only getting 285mi on a 100% charge.

The whole Tesla experience has really taken a *sugar* in the recent years from service to supercharger reliability and overcrowding.

You need to get out more! :) I have been to a number of locations where food choices are less than robust. Lovelock, Winnemucca, West Wendover, Tooele, Evanston, Ritzville, Gallup, Quartzsite, Inyokern. Anyway, you get the idea.
Sure there are worse....but not too many other options in those areas. This is in the worst part of Kingman/Hilltop with much better options 3 miles east on I40. Not to mention it is also in the parking lot of a bail bonds shop.