Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kinston, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well dang! ABRP somehow knows better than anything else I know does! I even went and checked in the car last night and it didn't show this Supercharger. It does show it now though, with one stall occupied!

That could have been me charging! :p

8 Stalls and 2 cabinets (v3 250 kW confirmed). 2 of the parking spaces are forward facing charging. Located in the Smithfield's BBQ parking lot. I spoke with someone there and it just opened yesterday! I got us tons of pics too

Attachments

• 20200918_095840.jpg
    20200918_095840.jpg
    379.9 KB · Views: 117
  • 20200918_095854.jpg
    20200918_095854.jpg
    518 KB · Views: 79
  • 20200918_095927.jpg
    20200918_095927.jpg
    401.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 20200918_095956.jpg
    20200918_095956.jpg
    470.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 20200918_100250.jpg
    20200918_100250.jpg
    444.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 20200918_100256.jpg
    20200918_100256.jpg
    407.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 20200918_101352.jpg
    20200918_101352.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 83
  • 20200918_101422.jpg
    20200918_101422.jpg
    418.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 20200918_101430.jpg
    20200918_101430.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Some of the places to eat around the area and pics of the cabinets and other labels as well. I know some people did like all the tech details of these things:

Strongly suggest buying something from Smithfield's BBQ though since they are the ones who gave up some parking spots to put a well needed Supercharger in this location. :D
Kingston.JPG

Attachments

• 20200918_100035.jpg
    20200918_100035.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 20200918_100045.jpg
    20200918_100045.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 20200918_100055.jpg
    20200918_100055.jpg
    391.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 20200918_100154.jpg
    20200918_100154.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 79
I stopped here on the way back home from the beaches tonight as well. Smithfield's BBQ on a Friday night at about 8:15pm: THAT PLACE WAS HOPPING! Not sure if it always going to be like that or it was just super busy because it just opened but that parking lot was pretty full and there was a lot of cars driving back and forth right in front of where Teslas would be parked/charging. 1 person used that area as a u-turn spot and drove over the little cinderblock/plastic guard thing in the process but luckily didnt hit any of the new equipment. Another person ICE'd a spot for a few minutes but left quickly. It seemed like everyone was able to read the sings and not park in the spaces designed for charging. There was an employee directing the drive-thru traffic and the place was still chaos.

The location on super convenient for the trip to the NC beaches, but in a high traffic parking lot with potential to get hit/dinged up. :oops:

Reactions: MarcoRP
smithfields is becoming very tesla friendly. Almost all their spots on 40 east of raleigh have 48amp, 240v tesla chargers. Great to see they are now allowing superchargers too :)

Between Smithfield's BBQ and Sheetz Gas stations, I am liking these "partnerships". I've always liked Sheetz for the last 15-20 years since they have been more than just a gas station. I was going to miss visiting them since I bought my Tesla but now I have a reason to go to them while charging (Subs/MTO, drinks, bathroom). I've never been a Smithfield's BBQ person but after I went into the Kingston one while charging I would do it again. I keep checking to see if either of them have a new store on the Western Mountain area (Boone, Blowing Rock, Banner Elk, etc) but it doesn't look like either of them have a foothold that far west.

Having a v3 SC in Kingston is awesome! Makes for a easy day trip out to the beach (from Raleigh/Durham) hitting the SC on the way there and back and not even have to think about charge level!

Reactions: SigNC
Once they put one in Greenville I will be a happy guy
I agree. I went to Greenville last week and was shocked there’s neither many public charging stations except right near ECU campus, nor is there any legit DCFC there. I also really want a SC in Emporia, VA or Roanoke Rapids. There’s too large a gap between Superchargers on I-95 south of Richmond, all the way to Rocky Mount. Also, still in shock there’s not a Charleston, SC Supercharger but Farmville and Lynchburg, VA both got V3 Superchargers in the last 8 months.

Tesla has done better than Electrify America. EA has completely failed Eastern NC/Hampton Roads VA. Thankfully we have Superchargers in Plymouth, Kill Devil Hills, Wallace, Wilmington and now the Kinston location. Electrify America has nothing east of Rocky Mount going towards OBX or Southeast of Raleigh on I-40 going towards Wilmington, or Jacksonville/Atlantic Beach/Morehead City/New Bern on Hwy 70/Future I-42. Even big metros like VA Beach-Norfolk-Chesapeake don’t have any Electrify America stations, while Raleigh/Cary/Wake Forest has three, two of which are arguably in horrible locations way too far off the interstate.

Last edited:
Reactions: nogajim
Between Smithfield's BBQ and Sheetz Gas stations, I am liking these "partnerships". I've always liked Sheetz for the last 15-20 years since they have been more than just a gas station. I was going to miss visiting them since I bought my Tesla but now I have a reason to go to them while charging (Subs/MTO, drinks, bathroom). I've never been a Smithfield's BBQ person but after I went into the Kingston one while charging I would do it again. I keep checking to see if either of them have a new store on the Western Mountain area (Boone, Blowing Rock, Banner Elk, etc) but it doesn't look like either of them have a foothold that far west.

Having a v3 SC in Kingston is awesome! Makes for a easy day trip out to the beach (from Raleigh/Durham) hitting the SC on the way there and back and not even have to think about charge level!
I went to Boone in my P3D from Raleigh late last year. If I hadn’t found an AC charger there while I was walking around for several hours I wouldn’t have made it back to Greensboro to the SC. There is a SINGLE Chademo charger across from Lost Province Brewing but I don’t have the adapter and it might be risky to depend on it being available unless you have time to wait for someone using it to finish up. Spending almost $500 for a 50kW Chademo adapter doesn’t sit right with me. I really wouldn’t mind a CCS adapter though as long as it’s affordable (like $100 or less). I think we will see more and more CCS plugs coming online rapidly. Even my local JLR dealership has one or two FREE CCS chargers, but I can’t use it obviously.

Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce
I went to Boone in my P3D from Raleigh late last year. If I hadn’t found an AC charger there while I was walking around for several hours I wouldn’t have made it back to Greensboro to the SC. There is a SINGLE Chademo charger across from Lost Province Brewing but I don’t have the adapter and it might be risky to depend on it being available unless you have time to wait for someone using it to finish up. Spending almost $500 for a 50kW Chademo adapter doesn’t sit right with me. I really wouldn’t mind a CCS adapter though as long as it’s affordable (like $100 or less). I think we will see more and more CCS plugs coming online rapidly. Even my local JLR dealership has one or two FREE CCS chargers, but I can’t use it obviously.
We use the ChaDeMo charger in Boone almost every visit. It is pretty reliable but is annoying to use. It gives you a 30 minute session - if you need more, you need to come back and start a new session.

Boone should have its own supercharger!

Agree Boone ought have one... coming from Raleigh probably "safest" thing would be to tack an extra 20-30 miles on the trip and route through Hickory to hit the SC there based on current locations.

(seems like Hickory would make even more sense to hit from Charlotte at a glance)

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
(seems like Hickory would make even more sense to hit from Charlotte at a glance)
Yeah, Hickory is great if you are going to Boone and back.
We usually go to/through Boone on the way up to the mountains, but like to take the Blue Ridge Parkway down towards Asheville and come back down 221 or depending on charge stop by Asheville Supercharger.

Having a Boone Supercharger removes any additional planning I might have to do for charging. ( Our 2016 90D Model X, range is not the same as that of all the newer cars )

I agree. I went to Greenville last week and was shocked there’s neither many public charging stations except right near ECU campus, nor is there any legit DCFC there. I also really want a SC in Emporia, VA or Roanoke Rapids. There’s too large a gap between Superchargers on I-95 south of Richmond, all the way to Rocky Mount. Also, still in shock there’s not a Charleston, SC Supercharger but Farmville and Lynchburg, VA both got V3 Superchargers in the last 8 months.

Tesla has done better than Electrify America. EA has completely failed Eastern NC/Hampton Roads VA. Thankfully we have Superchargers in Plymouth, Kill Devil Hills, Wallace, Wilmington and now the Kinston location. Electrify America has nothing east of Rocky Mount going towards OBX or Southeast of Raleigh on I-40 going towards Wilmington, or Jacksonville/Atlantic Beach/Morehead City/New Bern on Hwy 70/Future I-42. Even big metros like VA Beach-Norfolk-Chesapeake don’t have any Electrify America stations, while Raleigh/Cary/Wake Forest has three, two of which are arguably in horrible locations way too far off the interstate.
The Nissan dealership has a 50 kW CHAdeMO that i have used a couple of times but it is only available during business hours and cuts off after 20 minutes of use. Unfortunately I do not see Greenville really getting anything much more than that for a while. Greenville isnt really a city you go through to get someone during a trip so a SC is very unlikely.

Just wanted to give an update on this station. I was passing through the area last night and the Tesla in car map indicated reduced service at this location. I haven't seen this on any station we were planning on using so not knowing what to expect, we charged in Goldsboro instead but stopped by the Kinston station to check the status. Half of the stalls weren't working (I didn't test them but their lighted signs were off) but I did test one of the stalls with its light on and it worked fine. So the station is operational, just fewer active stations for now. I assume this is short term and Tesla service will fix soon.

This was posted in local NC tesla group.

View attachment 587521
Address for location is 4483 US-70, Kinston, NC 28504
From what I can tell from the pic I'm guessing 8 stall v3.

@Chuq
Can anyone confirm if the kinston, nc supercharger is up for charging?

It’s strange the location don’t show up as a supercharge station even when mapping directly to the address from the car ( X). Tesla customer support isn’t much help, at least from the phone options I pressed. They are closed. ☹️

Excellent. Cheers cheers.

Just what i needed to hear; rerouting to Kinston NC supercharger now.... thanks all. 🙏🏽
Yes, I stopped by to charged at the Kinston, NC supercharge station 3/24/21.

This location DO NOT show up on the map in the car but as this communication threads proves, a Tesla supercharger in Kinston is Open for charging.

However, it is possible this supercharge don’t show on the map is because not all the charge stations appear to be working. I notice 5 stations with the illuminated charge stations and at least 4 stations that were dark with no visible power to 4 of 5 stations. The 5 stations are definitely open and ready. Safe travels

• Informative