Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kirkland, WA (LIVE 7 Dec 2023, 12 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FrryeUbaYAIMLnC

Seems the two new-ish major developments in Kirkland (The Village at Totem Lake and Kirkland Urban) long-rumored to be preferable sites for a future supercharge, have missed out on an opportunity to get the EV crowd to come shop and dine while charging. Now Freddie’s will get a few more visitors from locals without a home charger topping up once or twice a week while picking up a few things. Food options are limited without a long walk and are nothing to write home about.

Will these be urban superchargers like most in the area? I can visit and report on construction fairly easily as I live within 2 miles of here.

Seems the two new-ish major developments in Kirkland (The Village at Totem Lake and Kirkland Urban) long-rumored to be preferable sites for a future supercharge, have missed out on an opportunity to get the EV crowd to come shop and dine while charging. Now Freddie’s will get a few more visitors from locals without a home charger topping up once or twice a week while picking up a few things. Food options are limited without a long walk and are nothing to write home about.

Will these be urban superchargers like most in the area? I can visit and report on construction fairly easily as I live within 2 miles of here.

I don't think Tesla has built any new urban chargers in quite a while. 12 post 3 cabinet seems like a standard v3 deployment of 1 cabinet to 4 posts.

The QFC across the street already has an EA station, so should be an easy install to run through.
No doubt about it, Urban would be 12 posts, 6 cabinets and 6 phase transformers (or something like that). The 4:1 post to cabinet ratio is V3.

Corrections approved on 6/8/23 and ready to issue. It has not been issued and no dig tickets filed so please don’t rush out to look for markings.
View attachment 957272
Electrical permit also ready to issue.
View attachment 957271

Noob question: what happens to turn "ready to issue" into "issued"? Do they just need to print a piece of paper? Does somebody have to retrieve the paper? Or to put it another way...where is the holdup?

There can be a lot of things that hold up a permit in the ready-to-issue state depending on the jurisdiction process, but most of them are on the applicant’s side.

They could be waiting on final paperwork (special inspection nomination, waste disposal forms) or could be waiting on fees. The forms are often ones that need to be filled out by a contractor or just before construction so they make sense to offer after plan review.

The first few days could be jurisdiction process, after that they are probably waiting on the applicant.

There can be a lot of things that hold up a permit in the ready-to-issue state depending on the jurisdiction process, but most of them are on the applicant’s side.

They could be waiting on final paperwork (special inspection nomination, waste disposal forms) or could be waiting on fees. The forms are often ones that need to be filled out by a contractor or just before construction so they make sense to offer after plan review.

The first few days could be jurisdiction process, after that they are probably waiting on the applicant.
Usually if fees need to be paid, it will not be ready to issue. In fact, they won’t process until fees are paid. Fees cover all the work that needs to be done during the review process.

In the case of most building permits, ready to issues means everything has been paid and approved and they are just waiting for the applicant to request the permit to be issued or are waiting for a contractor to be named. Once approved there is usually a timeframe for the permit to be issued (usually 12 months) and then once issued there is another timeframe for work to be completed without having to file extension paperwork and pay extension fees. For this reason, Tesla or the contractor won’t ask for the permit to be issued until they are ready to do the work.

Usually if fees need to be paid, it will not be ready to issue. In fact, they won’t process until fees are paid. Fees cover all the work that needs to be done during the review process.

In the case of most building permits, ready to issues means everything has been paid and approved and they are just waiting for the applicant to request the permit to be issued or are waiting for a contractor to be named. Once approved there is usually a timeframe for the permit to be issued (usually 12 months) and then once issued there is another timeframe for work to be completed without having to file extension paperwork and pay extension fees. For this reason, Tesla or the contractor won’t ask for the permit to be issued until they are ready to do the work.
Interesting. Some jurisdictions only collect ~half the fees upfront for plan review, then collect the other half at issuance so that they cover the impact fees levied. I wonder how Kirkland operates.

You are spot on with the 12 month window! That can get hard to work with for any project of substance.

Interesting. Some jurisdictions only collect ~half the fees upfront for plan review, then collect the other half at issuance so that they cover the impact fees levied. I wonder how Kirkland operates.

You are spot on with the 12 month window! That can get hard to work with for any project of substance.
I hadn’t seen that fee structure. And I’ve seen anywhere from 6-18 months to complete depending on jurisdiction.

Corrections approved on 6/8/23 and ready to issue. It has not been issued and no dig tickets filed so please don’t rush out to look for markings.
View attachment 957272
Electrical permit also ready to issue.
View attachment 957271
Electrical permit is issued and has plans. Interestingly the location is the northeast corner of the Freddie's parking lot, near the fuel station. I was expecting the SE corner instead, but this area is the last to get occupied when the lots get full in the holiday season.
1696625690568.png

Plans are at http://permits.kirklandwa.gov/WebDocs/2020121373/21273a62-7775-43e4-b565-a6f2a109c97d.pdf

Indeed construction has started. I shot a couple of snaps in the dark tonight. This picture shows 11 of 12 pedestal bases in place in a trench without any cabling yet. The 12th base was off in an area near the wrapped Tesla
1F09525C-5618-484C-9AFA-3C338D603C88.jpeg
1F09525C-5618-484C-9AFA-3C338D603C88.jpegcabinets, maybe it was faulty in some way?

Do these bases look different to the normal ones or have I just not seen these types elsewhere?

Also there are 3 square Tesla Energy boxes there, being the power conversion cabinets, but nothing on site that could contain the pedestals. To be delivered later, maybe?

Indeed construction has started. I shot a couple of snaps in the dark tonight. This picture shows 11 of 12 pedestal bases in place in a trench without any cabling yet. The 12th base was off in an area near the wrapped Tesla View attachment 981065View attachment 981065cabinets, maybe it was faulty in some way?

Do these bases look different to the normal ones or have I just not seen these types elsewhere?

Also there are 3 square Tesla Energy boxes there, being the power conversion cabinets, but nothing on site that could contain the pedestals. To be delivered later, maybe?
These are the bases they have been using for the last year or so. They are compatible with V3 and V4 posts. With V4 starting to roll out, they could be waiting for delivery of those posts as the other 2 V4 sites were built without posts on site at the beginning of construction. The Bakersfield, CA site is complete minus wiring and posts. Here, they will need to run the large diameter conduit between the bases and cabinet location and get that inspected before they can bury the conduit and move forward. If they run an additional small conduit next to the large one, that is a good indicator of V4 based on previous installs.