Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Knoxville, TN. Brookview Center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stopped by just now. There's no transformer!

This one might be a while.
Christmas came early! Transformer is in place. There is no red glow yet though.

Attachments

• D1941A3D-1AE8-4727-A480-2F8CF6DFB789.jpeg
    D1941A3D-1AE8-4727-A480-2F8CF6DFB789.jpeg
    557.7 KB · Views: 136
  • 6CDE1ABA-2CF9-47A0-BDE3-75B97DD73DEC.jpeg
    6CDE1ABA-2CF9-47A0-BDE3-75B97DD73DEC.jpeg
    736 KB · Views: 66
Are you saying this is effectively an "urban" SC? Also isn't there more than one transformer?

Not at all. Urban Superchargers only ever provide 72 kW per vehicle regardless of how many vehicles are charging (although when full, they can be further limited by an undersized transformer). This V3 charger is capable of providing the full 250 kW output for up to two vehicles simultaneously ... or 166 kW to three vehciels simultaneously ... or 125 kW to four vehicles simultaneously, and so on. And of course, as one vehicle's charging power ramps down as the battery gets full, more power becomes available for the other vehicles.

There is one transformer per site. The transformer in this case is the limiting factor and is likely due to limitations in what grid infrastructure is available in this particular location.

Last edited:
A little on the small side only being 500 kVA (62.5 kW per stall when full if no solar or battery storage). I guess we'll take what we can get.
I'm not expert in electrical engineering but isn't that 500 KVa referring to the AC side and the 250 kW referring to the DC side (different voltages?) so the numbers are not divisible?
500 kVA / 8 stalls = 62.5 kW

Have there been other threads that break this (kVA transformer rating to pedestal max kW ) down already? Also taking into account the AC to DC conversion.

My google search shows it is not straight division anyway but I could off: Apparent power (kVA) x power factor (pf) = actual power (kW) e.g. 100 kVA x 0.8 = 80 kW.

I'm not expert in electrical engineering but isn't that 500 KVa referring to the AC side and the 250 kW referring to the DC side (different voltages?) so the numbers are not divisible?
VA (volts multiplied by amps) is equivalent to Watts, not accounting for power factor. In this application, they are roughly equivalent. I don’t know what the power factor of a Supercharger station is but I expect it’s closer to 1 than 0.8.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
I did some reading on this the other day and it appears a lot of 8 charger v3 sites are on a 500 kVA transformer So this isn’t out of the ordinary. It’s talked about widely that you can often exceed the “limits“ of these utility transformers by quite a bit as long as it’s not sustained so there may be some agreed upon short term max between the utility and Tesla perhaps?

I did some reading on this the other day and it appears a lot of 8 charger v3 sites are on a 500 kVA transformer So this isn’t out of the ordinary. It’s talked about widely that you can often exceed the “limits“ of these utility transformers by quite a bit as long as it’s not sustained so there may be some agreed upon short term max between the utility and Tesla perhaps?
I've seen comments like that as well. I really wonder what this is capable of and for how long?

If I'm not mistaken, each of the V3 cabinets only "consumes" (i.e. converts to DC) a max of 350kVA, so there is only 200kVA being "left on the table" here anyway. Not a small chunk, but maybe statistically Tesla has determined that this is sufficient, and/or it's simply a practical limit of what the utility can supply as @Big Earl posited.

Reactions: Big Earl
If I'm not mistaken, each of the V3 cabinets only "consumes" (i.e. converts to DC) a max of 350kVA, so there is only 200kVA being "left on the table" here anyway. Not a small chunk, but maybe statistically Tesla has determined that this is sufficient, and/or it's simply a practical limit of what the utility can supply as @Big Earl posited.
In case others forgot this detail as I did: "Each V3 cabinet supports four pedestals instead of V1/V2's two pedestals"