Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger- Kokomo, IN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like Kokomo, IN is getting a Supercharger in the Meijer parking lot (2301 E Markland Ave, Kokomo, IN 46901). It's not a bad location (easy access to/from the Kokomo by-pass) and will fill a nice gap between Indianapolis and South Bend. Signs are up for 8 charging spots. No idea when it will be finished, but I know the local power company has installed infrastructure (actually heard about the project from one of the guys working on it).

Sorry for the poor picture. I'm pretty new to Tesla so sorry if I missed this, but I hadn't seen anything about Kokomo on any site when doing my pre-purchase research. This was a nice surprise!
IMG_5946.jpg

Looks like Kokomo, IN is getting a Supercharger in the Meijer parking lot (2301 E Markland Ave, Kokomo, IN 46901). It's not a bad location (easy access to/from the Kokomo by-pass) and will fill a nice gap between Indianapolis and South Bend. Signs are up for 8 charging spots. No idea when it will be finished, but I know the local power company has installed infrastructure (actually heard about the project from one of the guys working on it).

Sorry for the poor picture. I'm pretty new to Tesla so sorry if I missed this, but I hadn't seen anything about Kokomo on any site when doing my pre-purchase research. This was a nice surprise!
View attachment 478828

sure wish Bloomington and Evansville would come on soon. Day trips Indy to eville are simply not possible.

I agree DCGOO. Maybe when that Kokomo crew gets down they'll be heading down to Bloomington and then Evansville. It's odd they started on Kokomo as it doesn't have a "Coming Soon" icon on the map but the others have been there for a while.

I agree DCGOO. Maybe when that Kokomo crew gets down they'll be heading down to Bloomington and then Evansville. It's odd they started on Kokomo as it doesn't have a "Coming Soon" icon on the map but the others have been there for a while.

I wish the those southern ones would come online as well. We head to both places several times per year. I've been checking impatiently to see when they are available.

I was surprised when I heard the Kokomo one was going in. Checked the the Tesla supercharger page, nothing. Just a straight google search didn't turn up anything either. Who knows?

Note: if anyone is actually coming to stay in Kokomo for any length of time and pays for supercharging, I would suggest checking out the free level 2 chargers in the parking garage downtown. I generally gain 38 miles per hour on the Model 3. There are only two and they can be busy depending on the time of the day. There are several restaurants and bars within walking distance. I have charging at home, but I never mind picking up a few miles for free when going out to supper or other event.

Agreed...Kokomo is arguably not even needed in comparison to southwest Indiana. This charger is a mere 37 miles from the one in Carmel, and around 93 to the one in Mishawaka, IN. I really wish I understood how the planning worked for their build out.

It's 1 Supercharger to split a 130 mile gap, which is suboptimal for travel. (It prevents owners of vehicles with shorter range from keeping their Supercharging in the sweet spot).
It's at a Meijer, so easy to get agreement.
It's very close to a concurrency of US-31 and US-35.

That combination just helps get it done.

Reactions: Iluvpcs
Kokomo, IN

Along Primary Interstates: None
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-31, US-35
Along Auxiliary Interstates: I-465

US-31

To: St. Joseph, MI - 122.2 miles
Diversion: 2.4 miles
To: Muskegon, MI - 206.2 miles

To: Mishawaka, IN (US-31, US-20, IN-331, l) - 101.7 miles

Splits a 137.8 mile gap between Carmel, IN and Mishawaka, IN, and also a 158.2 mile gap from Carmel, IN to St. Joseph, MI.

It's also the first Supercharger along US-35.

With 127.3 miles between Indianapolis, IN and Fort Wayne, IN along I-69, a Supercharger in Gas City, IN near the I-69/US-35 intersection, could also be useful.

Maybe their eyes will move south, and they can get sites in Bloomington, IN and Elberfeld, IN agreed and built.

Reactions: GSP
So glad to see there's finally a supercharger being built in Kokomo. I travel to Kokomo a lot and it's always stressful when I have to go there or to Marion since my friends are there. This will definitely help! The charger in the garage is good if you go to the YMCA or during spring/summer for downtown.

I get roughly 31 miles per hr on my 2019 Tesla Model 3 RWD Long Range in the garage. I've only charged during cold weather so the speed might be a lot slower.

• Informative
Reactions: TexasDuke

View attachment 478828
Any updates? Thanks for the find...

Any updates? Thanks for the find...

No. I swung by last night. Still pretty much like the picture.

On a slightly funny, slightly head shaking note... a co-worker mentioned the charger going in to me the other day. According to her at the time the chargers were all up and running. But she was concerned that they were housed in plywood boxes. So I asked a few questions and determined that the chargers were not in yet, pulled up a picture of a supercharger to show her.

She responded: Well that makes a lot more sense! I wondered how those plywood boxes would charge without strings!

I just left it at that. Laughed a little and shook my head as I walked away.

I will report back when things are up and running though!