Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kremmling, CO - Park Avenue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought so too and told him so.

I used the Kum and Go parking space to take off and plug a tire. Got a puncture 10 miles east of the tunnel and had to take the wheel off and plug it on the side of I-70, an "interesting" experience. Figures it would be a rear wheel so I couldn't do it on the car! That plug didn't hold so I put another in when the tire went flat in Kremmling. Nice thing about the Kum and Go is that they have air, so I was able to roll it over to the pump instead of waiting forever for my 12 V pump to fill it. Did a better job with the second plug and it seems to be holding fine. It was a big bolt that penetrated the tread.

Road trip adventures! I'm glad I carry all the necessary tools.
What would be the practical difference between it happening on the front vs. rear wheel? Are you carrying more than just an inflator and plug kit?

What would be the practical difference between it happening on the front vs. rear wheel? Are you carrying more than just an inflator and plug kit?
A front wheel is more easily accessible and you can turn it to expose more of the tread. My rear wheel puncture was on the innermost tread block and would have been hard to reach. I could perhaps have done it by rolling the car to just the right orientation and then lying on the ground to work on the tire from the rear. There just isn't much room to plug a rear tire on a Model S.

I carry full tire repair tools in my car because I live and drive in remote rural areas. The usual comments "I haven't had a flat in x years" and "Just call for roadside service" aren't an option for me. I want to fix my problem and be on my way. My tool kit: breaker bar, 21 mm deep socket, folding cross-type tire iron, lug nut cap removal tool, scissors jack and hockey puck, torque wrench, 12 V air pump (two), tire pressure gauge, plug kits, long nose pliers, tarp for messy weather, gloves, blaze green safety vest. Air pumps usually come with a light or a flashlight would also be needed for night.

I do all my wheel changing for snow tires at home so I have lots of practice removing and replacing wheels on my car, although my home floor jack is much easier to use than a scissors jack.

I've had three tire punctures over the last year, although two were slow leaks that I was able to pump up and get home, to plug the tire in my garage. Monday was the first time I've had to plug a tire on the road. You know you are in for a tough day when you get a TPMS warning, pull over to check the tires, and hear hissing!

Last edited:
Some pictures from the I-70 roadside:
Tire repair on I-70 7-20-20.png

Tire repair on I-70 b 7-20-20.png

The culprit:
Bolt that punctured tire 7-20-20.png

My tool kit: breaker bar, 21 mm deep socket, folding cross-type tire iron, lug nut cap removal tool, scissors jack and hockey puck, torque wrench, 12 V air pump (two), tire pressure gauge, plug kits, long nose pliers, tarp for messy weather, gloves, blaze green safety vest. Air pumps usually come with a light or a flashlight would also be needed for night.
Some great tips in your post. I carry all these items except the tarp, gloves, and safety vest. I will add those. We do a lot of Colorado camping in areas without cell coverage, so I fully agree with you that you can't rely on roadside assistance.
It's encouraging to hear someone having success with a roadside plugging.

• Informative
Reactions: evraser
A front wheel is more easily accessible and you can turn it to expose more of the tread. My rear wheel puncture was on the innermost tread block and would have been hard to reach. I could perhaps have done it by rolling the car to just the right orientation and then lying on the ground to work on the tire from the rear. There just isn't much room to plug a rear tire on a Model S.

I carry full tire repair tools in my car because I live and drive in remote rural areas. The usual comments "I haven't had a flat in x years" and "Just call for roadside service" aren't an option for me. I want to fix my problem and be on my way. My tool kit: breaker bar, 21 mm deep socket, folding cross-type tire iron, lug nut cap removal tool, scissors jack and hockey puck, torque wrench, 12 V air pump (two), tire pressure gauge, plug kits, long nose pliers, tarp for messy weather, gloves, blaze green safety vest. Air pumps usually come with a light or a flashlight would also be needed for night.

I do all my wheel changing for snow tires at home so I have lots of practice removing and replacing wheels on my car, although my home floor jack is much easier to use than a scissors jack.

I've had three tire punctures over the last year, although two were slow leaks that I was able to pump up and get home, to plug the tire in my garage. Monday was the first time I've had to plug a tire on the road. You know you are in for a tough day when you get a TPMS warning, pull over to check the tires, and hear hissing!

Boy Scouts could take advice from you on being prepared. I bet you also carry various charge adapters and extension cords, too!

Reactions: Fadiawesome
Boy Scouts could take advice from you on being prepared. I bet you also carry various charge adapters and extension cords, too!
No extension cords since the MC cable is plenty long.

I have a Gen 1 UMC that I now leave in the car, after years of use for home charging, and a new Gen 2 MC because it has more safety features, which I now use for home charging and also carry on road trips.

Yes on various adapters: 14-50 for the Gen 1, 10-30P to 14-50R (homemade, used to use it at my parents' house before they moved), 14-30 for Gen 2 (modified to fit both 14-30 and 14-50 outlets, limits current to 24 amps — I use this one in my 14-50 outlet at home because 24 amps is plenty for home charging), TT-30P to 14-50R (for campgrounds that only have "30 amp" service — I use it with the modified 14-30 to limit current to 24 amps), the J1772 to Tesla adapter included with all cars (use it a lot at public charge stations when I am going to be there awhile), and 5-15 for both MCs, because they come with it (too slow to be useful).

After more than 50k miles of road trips, I prefer camping to motels because I can charge my car on the RV pedestals and campsites tend to be inexpensive. I prefer state parks because they usually have nicer, more spacious, campsites than commercial RV parks. State parks also allow tents and some commercial RV parks don't (I just sleep in the car — it fits a full length air mattress — nice for cold or rainy weather).

I'm up to 201 different Supercharger Stations in my S-60. For those who don't know about the "Superchargers Visited" game: Superchargers Visited

I was hoping to get lucky and collect Kremmling, as long as I was passing through, but it appears to be several weeks before that one will open. I'm also waiting on Brighton and Aspen Park. I was the second person to ever charge at Poncha Springs Supercharger Station — that one was a huge improvement over using I-70 to get to the Front Range.

Last edited:
dgpcolorado, that’s an impressive list of equipment - thanks for the useful information!

Someday, with enough superchargers, we’ll hopefully avoid the need to carry extra equipment. In the meantime, though, it’s a good idea to have the most commonly needed accessories (and I’m using your list as a starting reference).

With Kremmling and a few other front range superchargers on deck, you’ll be able to bag a few more locations and maybe move up that “Superchargers Visitors” list. I’m up to 15 (!) different superchargers in just over a year, so look out for me...

Second to charge in Kremmling. First Model Y! A couple minutes after we arrived, the first Model X showed up. A Jeep was ICEing a spot. All spots are labeled Tesla only charging.

We maxed out at 153 kW but still had 50% SoC when we arrived since we had to be sure we had enough charge to get back. (We left Glenwood Springs Supercharger before @dgpcolorado posted.)
download_20200809_132716.jpg

download_20200809_132929.jpg

Second to charge in Kremmling. First Model Y! A couple minutes after we arrived, the first Model X showed up. A Jeep was ICEing a spot. All spots are labeled Tesla only charging.

We maxed out at 153 kW but still had 50% SoC when we arrived since we had to be sure we had enough charge to get back. (We left Glenwood Springs Supercharger before @dgpcolorado posted.)
View attachment 574255

View attachment 574254

What is the appropriate etiquette for talking to vehicles ICEing at Tesla chargers? Key their car? Spit on them? Slash their tires?

View attachment 574255

View attachment 574254
I forgot to mention that this probably won't be the best place for a restroom break on the weekends. The line for the restroom looked to be a dozen people long so waiting in line might take longer than the typical Supercharger charge. I didn't notice the port-a-potty leftover from Supercharger construction until I was reviewing the pictures after we left. While I'm sure it wasn't meant for customer use, there wasn't any line for it. I'm surprised that such a busy location wouldn't set up additional toilets outside. Where I live, both gas stations provide port-a-potties during the summer months.