Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - KSC Cape Canaveral, FL (reserved for SpaceX)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M

MarcoRP

Although I can’t find much info about this Supercharger, I just thought I’d post anyway.

There are 2 150kW Superchargers located at the SpaceX HQ at the Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral. Charging seems to restricted to SpaceX employees only, although some people working at or around the KSC say they have been able to use this Supercharger as well. Does anyone have any further info we could build on (location, accessibility, etc.)? Will not add on Supercharge info

https://twitter.com/ares1x/status/12134719763560407053A847822-0D33-48FF-AD6B-49E540438598.jpeg

https://twitter.com/teslatunity/status/1210636110994513921F9248D7B-0E7C-4ACB-8354-4760F49F0101.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I figured they had some chargers over there, just didn't realize they were superchargers. May have to drive over at lunch one of these days.

Some of the CCAFS guards used to joke with me in the morning and say "Good Morning Mr. Musk" when I drove my S through the gate. This was a year or two ago before every other vehicle out there was a Model 3.

According to their promotional info, SpaceX is going to be using Model Xs to transport the astronauts to the launch pad during crew missions. So, I'm sure they also have regular L2 chargers somewhere in addition to the superchargers.

Well, Elon promised me this about 6 months ago, so hopefully soon? :)

Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 9.52.20 PM.png

Does anyone have any further info we could build on (location, accessibility, etc.)?

For the one (maybe two? can't remember...) at VAFB you need both base and SpaceX access. This one at CCAFS obviously needs base access, though it doesn't actually seem like its behind a SpaceX fence...so...

With as large a footprint as SpaceX has at CCAFS there could be more than just these two pedestals (most Tesla chargers are probably HPWCs).

Although I can’t find much info about this Supercharger, I just thought I’d post anyway.

There are 2 150kW Superchargers located at the SpaceX HQ at the Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral. Charging seems to restricted to SpaceX employees only, although some people working at or around the KSC say they have been able to use this Supercharger as well. Does anyone have any further info we could build on (location, accessibility, etc.)? Will not add on Supercharge info.
Whereas I certainly find this interesting information, and well worth posting, I want to emphasize that this is a private Supercharger installation and the Tesla driving public should in no way get the impression that they would be able to gain access or charge there under any circumstances. As Marco stated, these Superchargers should definitely not be added to the Supercharge.info database.

Larry

Last edited:
Did you know that Tesla has a "Coming Soon" Supercharger Station planned for Cocoa West? That would be about 20 miles from the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex.

Larry

I've watched this for some time and have scouted the logical locations in the area near I-95 and FL 523. Not much in the way of facilities. Sam's Club hosts an Electrify America station but same problems arises: no real rest facilities. Multiple single facilities near (Dunkin, Mickey D's, etc). Fifteen miles north at I-95 and FL 50 , near Titusville, seems a more practical location and spaces (a little more) the distance between the I-95 chargers and that much closer the the space complex. IMHO

I've watched this for some time and have scouted the logical locations in the area near I-95 and FL 523. Not much in the way of facilities. Sam's Club hosts an Electrify America station but same problems arises: no real rest facilities. Multiple single facilities near (Dunkin, Mickey D's, etc). Fifteen miles north at I-95 and FL 50 , near Titusville, seems a more practical location and spaces (a little more) the distance between the I-95 chargers and that much closer the the space complex. IMHO
I agree that Titusville offers better Supercharger opportunities than the Cocoa West area. I think it is less likely that Tesla will approach single facilities like Dunkin Donuts or McDonnells. Shopping malls generally offer better amenities and more parking spaces. Places like Titusville Mall or Titus Landing might be good candidates for Superchargers.

Larry

Reactions: Ciaopec
I agree that Titusville offers better Supercharger opportunities than the Cocoa West area. I think it is less likely that Tesla will approach single facilities like Dunkin Donuts or McDonnells. Shopping malls generally offer better amenities and more parking spaces. Places like Titusville Mall or Titus Landing might be good candidates for Superchargers.

Larry

I like your choices except it puts them much further away from the Interstate. Within a block of I-95 the Home Depot/Target site on Cheney Hwy/Columbia has Mickey D's; Burger King; Wendy's; Taco Bell; and Waffle House.

There may be more sites as well.

But who at Tesla reads these and takes out ideas into account? And who chose Cocoa West?:rolleyes:

I like your choices except it puts them much further away from the Interstate. Within a block of I-95 the Home Depot/Target site on Cheney Hwy/Columbia has Mickey D's; Burger King; Wendy's; Taco Bell; and Waffle House.

There may be more sites as well.

But who at Tesla reads these and takes out ideas into account? And who chose Cocoa West?:rolleyes:
I agree that intersection is a good choice. Perhaps place it in the Steakhouse parking lot if its large enough.

As for the selection of Cocoa West, we may be taking that too literally. The Tesla Charging Infrastructure team most likely selects a general area in need of Supercharging not a particular town. So, in this case, it's likely that they chose the Space Coast and randomly selected Cocoa West to place the pin. That's why, in my opinion, your speculations about Titusville being a potential choice is reasonable. Time will tell.

Larry

Reactions: Ciaopec