Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Kw speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I have a Model S 70D for 2015.
Recently my maximum speed in the supercharger is about 50 Kw, so far from the 120 Kw potentially.

Do you know if are there any limitations on older models?

Thanks,
Ivan

You will need a very warm battery and low State if charge to get max rates at a supercharger. I have s100D and can routinely get 115kw charge rate but only after driving for say 1 hour and at <60%. If your battery is cold enough to have any regen yellow dash on your energy graph, then you will not get >40-50kw, even with no regents limit, you battery may still not be warm enough for full speed. If your battery is more than 60% then your charge rate will also be slow, much slower above 80%, which is my typical max at super chargers.

• Informative
Reactions: ramonneke
It would also depend on the SC and stall pairing. Some have an independent max of 72kW and others have a paired max of 120kW. Your charging speed depends on the temperature of your battery, the SOC%, the type of SC (72kW or 120kW), and whether or not someone else is charging on the pair and/or their charge speed and/or who got there first.

I thought my car wouldn't charge above 72kW, but it turns out my battery wasn't warm enough...even on a 60F day after a 10mi drive down the freeway.

911B0D2D-40BC-4447-A155-5206036B5F90.jpeg
I think the 70 pack has a max of 100 kW like my 75. I’ve seen 96 kW a couple times. It needs to be a fully warm and fairly depleted pack to get that kinda juice though.

Also depends on your battery size. A 100kw battery has more cells to spread the charge. My 75D has fewer, and your 70 (presumably) fewer than that. The highest I've ever seen on my car is 95kw, which is also far from 120, and 80 is more typical. That's still pretty "super" compared to the best L2 charge rate you'll ever see.

I have a 2015 70S with roughly 27,000 miles. On my most recent long trip, I briefly hit 116kw. It only stayed above 100kw for a few minutes. Most supercharger stops would start above 100kw.
For some reason, the older 70's can briefly max out charge at higher rates than the newer 75's.

The 75 is a 350V pack, and Tesla limits the current they can receive via supercharging to around 350A. This means the maximum you'll ever see during charging is about 98kW, and even then only for a short period of time during the taper if your battery is warm (but not too warm!).

The old 70 is actually also a 350V pack, but has different battery chemistry (same as 85), which Tesla allows to charge (briefly) at higher currents. So if your battery is warm, you may see supercharging up to a maximum of about 116kW, but again, only under ideal conditions and only for a very short part of the charge session due to the taper.

So.. make sure your battery is warm, make sure you're on a full speed supercharger, make sure you're not paired with another car, make sure your SoC is somewhere between 20 and 50%, and then you should see around 116kW on your 70.

You can check via the below link the data on your car battery vs. SOC and what kind of kW you should get.

Also, as other have said, it also depends on how warm your battery is. It can actually take quite a long time for the battery to get warm. If you are in a colder climate, it is always a good idea to set the navigator to the Supercharger, the car will warm up the battery faster.

Tesla Battery Charging Data from 801 Cars

tesla.jpg