Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - La Jolla CA (Location not found, permit not found)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think UTC as they put 6 Chargepoint chargers in the new parking structure at $1.00 per hour. I don't think Westfield would want the supercharger there. Plus they will be charging for parking soon (corporate profits). I would guess a stand-alone location close to the 405. The one-and-only Supercharger at Qualcom is too far from the freeway exits and is out of the way.

I don't think UTC as they put 6 Chargepoint chargers in the new parking structure at $1.00 per hour. I don't think Westfield would want the supercharger there. Plus they will be charging for parking soon (corporate profits). I would guess a stand-alone location close to the 405. The one-and-only Supercharger at Qualcom is too far from the freeway exits and is out of the way.

Hope you mean the 805. 405 ends in the OC. Also, rumor has it that the first 2-3 hours of parking will still be free. at UTC.

The east side of UTC - closer to 805 still seems very promising even with all the changes at UTC.
Land is so expensive in La Jolla and Del Mar (both listed as future sites), so I expect Tesla to take some liberty in their definition of the boundaries of these SD cities

I did mean the 5 not the 405. I lived in OC so long that I still call it the 405. And I did read that the first 2 hours parking (3 if you go to 24 hour fitness) will be free. Maybe it be east of the 805 on Mira Mar Rd. Rent is cheap on that side.

The new San Diego Tesla Delivery Center is on Marindustry Drive, off Miramar Rd and closer to the 805. Apparently the Service Center was getting too busy so they seperated and relocated the Delivery Center. There are supposedly two more Superchargers located on Marinindustry for Delivery Center use. Maybe they will build it out with a dozen more Superchargers since it is very close to the 805.

Lots a new sites on Tesla's Supercharger map that were planned for 2018 are not going to be making it. It's the same every year. They aim high and end up falling behind. I don't think it was a big deal in the past years. But from now on, this won't work any more. Too many Tesla cars are being sold every month. Unless Tesla is really pushing the Supercharger build out, the demand will create more and more bottlenecks.

Yes, and No. I say this because as more Tesla cars are out in the wild, more of them will be used for long distance travel, therefore the need for more Supercharger stations to allow for that.

The No part is because of my thinking that so much of the Supercharger capacity in larger cities is taken up by local owners. It is my feeling that those who "CAN" charge up at home but use the Supercharger anyway because it is free for them will finally realize that the convenience of charging at home is worth more than the cost to their home electric bill.

The other part is that with new owners not having FREE FOR LIFE Supercharging will use a Supercharger when needed but will use home as much as they can. When you add the cost of your time to the cost of electricity at a Supercharger many will find that it is a big savings all around to just avoid the Supercharger, unless they are on a trip and need Supercharge to complete the trip.

For myself, even though I get the FREE FOR LIFE Supercharging I doubt that I will ever (except for one time to count that Supercharger as Visited) use the local Superchargers that are finally being built around the San Diego area. Even if I am visiting the Fashion Valley Mall for something I doubt that I will even drive to the area of parking where the Supercharger is being installed. Others will, and I am okay with that.

When we first got our Nissan Leaf I would get as much L2 and L3 "FREE" charging as I could get. Finally one day when I had to wait for 20 minutes to connect to the DCFC I realized how much time I was spending in extra driving to get there, wait time, charging time, and time to drive back to where I would have been, was costing me. This for what would have only cost about $1.00 at home. That day was the last time I used public charging (except for a couple of time I needed extra to get back home from a longer drive). Now with our Tesla we have much more range but still do not use public, free or pay, nor do we use the "FREE" Supercharger unless we are on a trip. Even then we start the trip with 100% from home.

I believe as time passes more Tesla drivers will arrive at the same understanding. With this in mind, and the new Supercharger stations planned, I do not believe that there will be a massive overcrowding of Supercharging capacity. jmho

• Love
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Yes, and No. I say this because as more Tesla cars are out in the wild, more of them will be used for long distance travel, therefore the need for more Supercharger stations to allow for that.

The No part is because of my thinking that so much of the Supercharger capacity in larger cities is taken up by local owners. It is my feeling that those who "CAN" charge up at home but use the Supercharger anyway because it is free for them will finally realize that the convenience of charging at home is worth more than the cost to their home electric bill.

The other part is that with new owners not having FREE FOR LIFE Supercharging will use a Supercharger when needed but will use home as much as they can. When you add the cost of your time to the cost of electricity at a Supercharger many will find that it is a big savings all around to just avoid the Supercharger, unless they are on a trip and need Supercharge to complete the trip.

For myself, even though I get the FREE FOR LIFE Supercharging I doubt that I will ever (except for one time to count that Supercharger as Visited) use the local Superchargers that are finally being built around the San Diego area. Even if I am visiting the Fashion Valley Mall for something I doubt that I will even drive to the area of parking where the Supercharger is being installed. Others will, and I am okay with that.

When we first got our Nissan Leaf I would get as much L2 and L3 "FREE" charging as I could get. Finally one day when I had to wait for 20 minutes to connect to the DCFC I realized how much time I was spending in extra driving to get there, wait time, charging time, and time to drive back to where I would have been, was costing me. This for what would have only cost about $1.00 at home. That day was the last time I used public charging (except for a couple of time I needed extra to get back home from a longer drive). Now with our Tesla we have much more range but still do not use public, free or pay, nor do we use the "FREE" Supercharger unless we are on a trip. Even then we start the trip with 100% from home.

I believe as time passes more Tesla drivers will arrive at the same understanding. With this in mind, and the new Supercharger stations planned, I do not believe that there will be a massive overcrowding of Supercharging capacity. jmho

I mostly agree, but there are more and more apartment dwellers with no other good option.

Reactions: logan
Just spoke to a Tesla rep at the La Costa Supercharger. He was there just checking on things. During our conversation he said that they had the land for the new La Jolla Supercharger location but were having problems hooking up to the electric grid. However, he wasn't sure of the exact location, but at least things are moving ahead in La Jolla, if slowly.

I used to agree with you until i thought more about it... especially after listening to the Freakanomics experiment re: daycare. Now that folks are being charged... they feel more entitled to its use. There are more M3s at my local charges than Ss and Xs combined. Its their "right" to charge to full there, and the phenomenon in SoCal of higher than average renter numbers really factors into those who can afford a M3 but not a home to charge it at (NOT STEREOTYPING, JUST GENERALIZING)

Just spoke to a Tesla rep at the La Costa Supercharger. He was there just checking on things. During our conversation he said that they had the land for the new La Jolla Supercharger location but were having problems hooking up to the electric grid. However, he wasn't sure of the exact location, but at least things are moving ahead in La Jolla, if slowly.
Maybe a moderator could combine with:
Supercharger - La Jolla, CA

For renters, apartment - ask your landlord to submit an application. Lots of $$$ out there, especially for VW's campaign. much like NRG/EVGO in years' past.

SDGE has new super low TOU-5 plan that will save oodles of dollars for those charging more than 130 kwh a month. No brainer for us with PV+PW2+model 3. :)

CD292E03-C3E0-4718-A419-522F27CFC492.jpeg
Construction of interest going on at UTC

• Informative
Reactions: MarcoRP