Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lacey, WA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Assuming this isn't malicious, people manage to do this *with a backup camera and parking sensors*. Sometimes I worry about how many genuinely bad drivers there are out there on the roads.

Do we know that it was a Tesla that backed into these chargers? It's entirely possible that some pickup did it. I watched the guy do that to a car that was a good four rows away from him in a parking lot once. He quickly looked out didn't notice me sitting in the car and took off. The owner of the car got the license plate number, I'm sure the police had a nice visit with him!

Do we know that it was a Tesla that backed into these chargers? It's entirely possible that some pickup did it. I watched the guy do that to a car that was a good four rows away from him in a parking lot once. He quickly looked out didn't notice me sitting in the car and took off. The owner of the car got the license plate number, I'm sure the police had a nice visit with him!
This is exact what I was thinking.

Assuming this isn't malicious, people manage to do this *with a backup camera and parking sensors*. Sometimes I worry about how many genuinely bad drivers there are out there on the roads.
Just wait until your backup camera freezes and then get back to me!

The false positive showing ample space to back up is much worse than not having a backup camera at all or having it not work at all.

In this case though they weren't lined up with a stall at all which is why they took out two stalls. I think it was probably something like teenagers messing around in the parking lot when it was empty late at night and then they lost control and took out a couple stalls.

If the camera freezes you can stop the car. Or use the mirrors. Regardless I've never had the camera pause for more than a few frames ... well, not since that bug a few years back where it would just die right when you switched to it.

That's a dangerous parking lot to mess around in - it has lots of curbs in places you wouldn't expect.

If the camera freezes you can stop the car.
If it turns black, you can stop the car (or use your mirrors and turn your head like we did in the old days). If it freezes, your subconscious will take over. Ask me how I know.

In any case, I don't think that's what happened here. You'd have to hit those at a fairly significant speed to do that much damage, so I don't think it was anyone who was cautiously backing in, or even incautiously backing in.

Reactions: goneskiian
If it turns black, you can stop the car (or use your mirrors and turn your head like we did in the old days). If it freezes, your subconscious will take over. Ask me how I know.

In any case, I don't think that's what happened here. You'd have to hit those at a fairly significant speed to do that much damage, so I don't think it was anyone who was cautiously backing in, or even incautiously backing in.

I believe you are correct but I do know that my wife was nearly run over by a woman who panicked and accidentally pressed the gas instead of the brake. So those sort of things do happen.

Reactions: Araman0
My guess would be a Tesla with a hitch carrier / bike rack that didn't (couldn't) see the distance to the pedestal. These things have so much torque I bet they didn't even feel it hit until it was too late.

They are just plastic shrouds, nothing too structural. The strong part is bolted to the pad and that stayed rock solid. The sign they hit between the pedestals, well.. sucks. All of them are loose and one was taken down a while ago because the wind knocked it into a car (saw it happen).

High power usage, relatively poor reliability, much higher risk of vandalism? Also they probably have to pay retail for it.
Why, I wonder, don't they use Starlink?
I just saw some recent posts about the pedestal damage, but these prior messages caught my eye. One reason for not using Starlink is that it is oversubscribed in most urban/suburban areas of US and you cannot get a subscription currently Even in areas like this. The permit is clearly just for CATV cable run. Whether it’s to provide WiFi while charging or just for internal purposes is not clear. Do we know if the work was completed?

concerning the pedestal damage, my money is on the landscapers. They drive big trucks without backup cameras, and frequently maneuver in tight spots/dead-end areas.

I just saw some recent posts about the pedestal damage, but these prior messages caught my eye. One reason for not using Starlink is that it is oversubscribed in most urban/suburban areas of US and you cannot get a subscription currently Even in areas like this. The permit is clearly just for CATV cable run. Whether it’s to provide WiFi while charging or just for internal purposes is not clear. Do we know if the work was completed?

concerning the pedestal damage, my money is on the landscapers. They drive big trucks without backup cameras, and frequently maneuver in tight spots/dead-end areas.

It has not been completed yet. Also, Target has the video, according to their LP/Security dude it was a Tesla.