Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lafayette, IN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Super news! Now if they could just do Louisville and Nashville (or in those general vicinities) plus Atlanta, my route back and forth between FL and Chicago will be complete.

Ditto! Gimme Nashville and Louisville so I can make northern Indiana! Indianapolis is on line, one down two more to go.

Heck, I'd like to go just north of Nashville this weekend but 125 miles each way, with heater, is just a bit more adventure and excitement than I care for a recreation. Only have a single charger because I trusted Tesla's "Winter 2013" availability for the CHAdeMO adapter and decided with all the LEAFs running around that would be of more use than HPWC. I may still decide to stop at the Brentwood Service Center for a 29 MPH top-up going up and back rather than burn diesel in the SUV.

+1 for Louisville and +1 for Nashville! I regularly travel from SW Michigan to Nashville. I was really excited seeing the "2014" Teslamotors.com US supercharger map several months ago indicating these two locations would be live by year end. But, another "guessometer," I suppose. The dots are still there on the website, but they don't even have permits yet. Mocking me! :) <sigh> I shouldn't complain - I have a Tesla Supercharger only 12 miles away, which is nice when I need it (I have a single onboard charger) Looking forward to the day when I can drive everywhere I need to in my "intergalactic space boat!" (apologies to "The Oatmeal")

We'll be hitting the Lafayette SC about 10p tomorrow night. Is it in a generally safe (and safe feeling) place? Or more specifically, will my wife feel safe?

Thanks,

I stopped there alone in my Model S at night last summer and as a woman I felt perfectly safe. There's a Meijer in the same parking lot and I walked to Steak N' Shake which is right behind the chargers. It should be perfectly fine.

I found that more than a little funny. The concern of Lafayette Indiana being safe from someone from Shoreview Minnesota, and the person from Chicago says, "Yeah, it's safe." We have different perceptions, depending on where we're from, huh?

I wonder if TMC appreciates the marketing value that these SC stations have? I live in Lafayette, and seeing this SC go up
was a major factor in getting me to start thinking seriously about getting a Tesla. It took a while for the idea to fully percolate,
but I'm now awaiting deliver of my new MS 90D. With an SC in the parking lot of one of the grocery stores we shop at we may
rarely need to use home electricity to charge :)

I wonder if TMC appreciates the marketing value that these SC stations have? I live in Lafayette, and seeing this SC go up
was a major factor in getting me to start thinking seriously about getting a Tesla. It took a while for the idea to fully percolate,
but I'm now awaiting deliver of my new MS 90D. With an SC in the parking lot of one of the grocery stores we shop at we may
rarely need to use home electricity to charge :)

Tesla categorizes the Supercharger Network as a Sales & Marketing expense in their financial filings (SEC 10K).

Ever since getting my Tesla I've been keeping an eye on the Lafayette SC to gauge its usage
(also to see if there is anyone there to stop by and say "hi" to, since there aren't many in this area).
So far the average number of stalls occupied, rounding to one digit, is zero and the peak number is
one. Has anyone observed anything different from that?

Ever since getting my Tesla I've been keeping an eye on the Lafayette SC to gauge its usage
(also to see if there is anyone there to stop by and say "hi" to, since there aren't many in this area).
So far the average number of stalls occupied, rounding to one digit, is zero and the peak number is
I stopped at the Lafayette SuperCharger to and from the Big Ten Championship game in December. Granted, this was over a weekend but there was at least one other car charging both times I was there. I even snagged a photo with some fellow Tesla driving car-flag toting Hawkeye fans.

IMG_4313.JPG

Note: These flags kill your Watts/Mile average but it is worth it. :)

The last time I was at this station, there were no other cars on the way there, and 2 others cars on the return trip. It has been over a year since I have been to this site, however.

Charging now and eating a nice breakfast at Copper Moon Coffee.

Exit from I-65 northbound to be closed on or after Aug10th. Fortunately for us, it was open this morning.

GSP

> Tesla categorizes the Supercharger Network as a Sales & Marketing expense in their financial filings (SEC 10K).

Sort of a media campaign with (actual) benefits.

Anyone thinking [Champaign/Urbana <<=>> Cleveland] will soon enough realize that Lafayette looms large in that equation.
--

Are both exits from 65 closing, or just the north-bound one? You can always continue up to the 25 exit, flip around, and come back. If -- as seems very unlikely -- both are closed you can get off early on either 25 (southbound) or 38 (norhtbound) and then make your way back on surface streets. People heading to Cleveland will also find the imminent Ft. Wayne SpC of interest.

I searched and found a news article that says the ramp (northbound ramp exiting I-65 to SR 26) will be closed for only about one week.

I'll be coming up that way in September to visit old friends from the time I attended Purdue (many, many years ago).