Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lake Arrowhead, CA (LIVE 17 Nov 2021, 8 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in big bear lake now.
Planning to add a 240v plug to our place here, but always bring the diesel 4x4 as we're on an un-maintained road.
The potholes are about the size of a smart car so not in a hurry to bring the Tesla. Gotta get the road fixed first.

Or, you could put that money toward a Cybertruck instead and just blast through the giant potholes. Maybe even attach a road and/or snow plow to it! ;) You might have to wait too long though.

I used to charge a lot at the office. Given the pandemic and working from home now, it convinced me to finally upgrade my 240v outlet to a Tesla Wall Connector a few months ago. It's been really nice, and I recommend it -- partly because I can leave the mobile connector tucked away in my car. I also recommend getting the longer cable.

Or, you could put that money toward a Cybertruck instead and just blast through the giant potholes. Maybe even attach a road and/or snow plow to it! ;) You might have to wait too long though.

I used to charge a lot at the office. Given the pandemic and working from home now, it convinced me to finally upgrade my 240v outlet to a Tesla Wall Connector a few months ago. It's been really nice, and I recommend it -- partly because I can leave the mobile connector tucked away in my car. I also recommend getting the longer cable.

I like your thinking! CyberTruck may well replace the current diesel Excursion, but while the kids are still at home, we need the 3 rows of seating.

I've got the long cord version of the Tesla Wall Connector at my office. We're a manufacturing business, so working remote isn't an option.
I have a 240v outlet at home, which I rarely use. I purchased a second mobile connector to leave home and keep the other in the car "just in case", although in 42,000+/- miles I've never used the one in the car.

The home charging will get a lot more use when we pull the trigger on a Model Y for my wife. Covid business downturn has that on hold for now.

Back on topic, I'm really happy to see the Supercharger network expanding into places I actually go, including the San Bernardino Mountain resorts!

Reactions: Oil Freedom
Lake Arrowhead prior to Big Bear makes sense, as the latter would not serve L Arrowhead well.
That shopping center can be miserably crowded, at least pre-COVID. I have struggled at times to find a single parking spot in that entire lot. I am hoping they have a place to expand parking, though I doubt it. Until Big Bear happens, there will be quite a few cars diverting to this location, making this lot even more crowded, as there is no where to park while waiting. Yikes.

• Informative
Reactions: Oil Freedom
Good point. I wonder how much ICEing or other mischief we'll see there with some spots reserved for Tesla charging -- especially if these aren't added parking spots. :(
My experiences have been that if there are a lot of Teslas, there cannot be icing. There would simply not be any chance for an ICE to grab a spot as long as a Tesla is waiting. OTOH, if the spots are sitting there empty, ICE cars will take them. This lot is just way too crowded.

It could be the Highland pin; Tesla isn't always very particular about the actual locations matching up well with where they put the grey pins. Or it could have been accidentally left off.
That's a good thought. Could totally be the case -- even though there's significant driving distance and altitude difference. The time-frame fits too. However, I would actually like a charger near the base of the mountain for the drive up!

From my house in central LA, I use about 60% of my battery on the way to Big Bear, which is about 30% to San Bernardino and 30% up the mountain. On the way back it's about 30% all the way back to LA in my 2018 MX 100D. In the winter it's usually about an extra 10% both ways depending on how cold it is on the mountain.

So before this charger, if I wanted to do any significant driving around Big Bear, I needed to charge at San Bernardino at slow speeds to get close to 100% before going up the mountain. Then if it was really cold I'd need to drive back down and up again to charge at San Bernardino or pay $25 to charge at a L2 charger in town.

Now I can drive through Lake Arrowhead, which is a bit of a detour, but charge up once I've gotten most of the elevation out of the way - saving me the extra charge and hassle of going up and down the mountain. If I don't drive much in Big Bear I might even be able to make it back to LA without charging again on the way back. This is a huge improvement when coming from LA, reducing the number of charging stops from 2-3 down to 1.

Put some pressure to have the local hotels, resort parking lot, hotels and restaurants to get some destination chargers at minimum. BB is a fairly a closely knit community that loves and hates their non-locals. I stay at a BnB in Taos that said it only cost the proprietor a phone call to Tesla. Built in an extremely short time. She drives a Leaf and they said they'd put that charger in too. They just have to have the City's approval and the Utility capacity. Hope you SOCAL get a Big Bear. I hiked thru there in 2015 PCT trek. But grew up in San Bernardino Cnty. Now Texas.

We just did a few days up at Big Bear during the kid's spring break. I decided to take the Tesla instead of my wife's Subaru as I plan to replace her car with the Y and wanted to see if it's doable. We stopped at Fontana Supercharger on the way up to "top off." Used 32% battery from Fontana to Big Bear. The rest of the time up there was worried going anywhere to minimize useage and kept Sentry mode off at the hotel. The one saving grace is I knew would only use about 5% battery to get back down (didn't help that it was snowing on the way down and had to put chains on the RWD 3).

Having a Supercharger in Big Bear would be best but at least now there will be an option closer by at somewhat similar altitudes.

We just did a few days up at Big Bear during the kid's spring break. I decided to take the Tesla instead of my wife's Subaru as I plan to replace her car with the Y and wanted to see if it's doable. We stopped at Fontana Supercharger on the way up to "top off." Used 32% battery from Fontana to Big Bear. The rest of the time up there was worried going anywhere to minimize useage and kept Sentry mode off at the hotel. The one saving grace is I knew would only use about 5% battery to get back down (didn't help that it was snowing on the way down and had to put chains on the RWD 3).

Having a Supercharger in Big Bear would be best but at least now there will be an option closer by at somewhat similar altitudes.
Your hotel could not allow you to plug in? Anywhere I go, destination charging changes the game.

Hotel didn't have destination charging and didn't ask about plugging into 120v (I'm not even sure how much charge you can do overnight in 20º temperatures). I had a back up plan in case the charge got too low.
I plugged into 120 while there, in the middle of that huge storm right before New Years. In fact, I couldn't even make it up the steep driveway with 18" of fresh. It charged just fine, even getting 7 MPH. I was pleasantly surprised.

In my original 2013 P85, using the original mobile connector, the max I could ever get was 4 MPH. Although, I never attempted it in very cold weather. I am sure it would be less. WIth my 208 MS and the new mobile connector, I easily get more. This was in overnight temperatures in the low teens. I was pleasantly surprised.

I've usually only seen 3 miles per hour of charging on 120v outlets when travelling, and that's been with non-Winter temperatures. It's really slow charging, but it sure would keep the battery warmer in the Winter -- which helps with both the range and regen.

Wasn't the Lake Arrowhead permit applied or granted back in December? I'm surprised construction hasn't begun after all these months! It'll be half a year later before we know it.