TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Supercharger - Lake Charles, LA

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by BlueShift, Sep 29, 2014.

1. BlueShift

BlueShift Member

I was notified:

1772 W. Prien Lake Rd., Lake Charles, LA

2. bluefuego

bluefuego Member

#2 bluefuego, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
    Oh noes!!! The Texas Teslas will be able to break free soon! Watch out FL! The Texans are coming!!!

I kid of course - congratulations on being able to leave the island soon. If there are ever superchargers up and down I55, I will be able to get to Houston from STL to visit my mom; otherwise Tesla seems to think I only want to go to Chicago...

3. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Great work!

The causeway is being built for the Texans to get off the island.

4. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Lake Charles and Baton Rouge are in permit state, but it will be a TX-LA island until the connection continues eastbound to Florida. Then it will be the shape of a peninsula, longer than the Florida peninsula.

5. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Oh, I understand!

We will need Slidell, LA, Mobile, AL, and Tallahassee, FL before the causeway is complete, but the route is starting to come into view.

6. jrreno

jrreno Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile

With Lake Charles, Baton Rouge and DeFuniak in place I would travel to Dallas from Sarasota. I think with conservative driving I could nurse my 85 to DeFuniak from Lake City (223 miles). Stay overnight at an Rv Campground near Mobile and do Superchargers the rest of the way. Floridians in Texas, Oh No!

7. BerTX

BerTX Member

There will need to be a location between Lake Charles and Houston, I think. Traveling from Houston, Lake Charles is fine, but on I-10 from the west, it is 215 miles from Columbus to LC...

8. BerTX

BerTX Member

Ever tried to drive I-10 below the speed limit? Not recommended!

And Floridians are welcome in Texas. They go home when they are done... ;-)

9. jrreno

jrreno Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile

Before the Tampa Supercharger and Level 2 charging at Epcot I made the 240 mile round trip to Disney on a single range charge with 20 miles left on return. Driving 65 mph ( 70 mph limit), even with all the idiot drivers we have in Florida it wasn't too bad. Most of the big rigs are going about the same speed.

10. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Active Member

In the interim, I made that trip with no problems (Lake Charles to the Columbus SuperCharger and back) fine doing 65-70 MPH in my 85 this summer. Even with afternoon thunderstorms and heavy traffic in Houston I had a comfortable margin of 27-42 miles range remaining when I arrived at each location. You can always get a few miles on the HPWC at the Houston Galleria (Tesla Showroom location 24 hour access) or the Houston Service Center HPWC (Business hours) if you need it.

Agree that eventually they will need another Supercharger somewhere between Columbus and Lake Charles.

Mike

11. BerTX

BerTX Member

Certainly it can be done, but range charges at Superchargers isn't the "plan", and MS60's are still for sale.

It's been a long time coming, and traveling out of TX will be much less stressful in the near future.

Thanks to you and all the other pioneers who have blazed the trail.

- - - Updated - - -

Under normal circumstances, sure it can be done. In my opinion, there is no stretch of road in the country that is as stressful from a crazed driver standpoint than I-10 through the Southeast. There isn't really a "back roads" alternative for much of the route, so if you MUST drive below the speed of traffic flow, you risk your life and that of others on the road. I was compelled to drive an RV pulling a piece of equipment on a trailer from Orlando to San Antonio once -- maximum safe speed about 55 mph. I had fingernails and brown hair at the beginning of the trip...

12. snellenr

snellenr Member

A Supercharger in Winnie at FM 1663/I-10 would be around 130 miles from Columbus and Huntsville and 83 from Lake Charles, with the typical range of hotels (for parking lots) & eating places.

13. Xin1120

Xin1120 Member

This would be a great idea. It is also exactly half way between Houston and Lake Charles.

14. stephenpace

stephenpace VIN S00219

Very excited about this SuperCharger coming online--I might even try to drive over for the opening if work permits. Hoping for a Pensacola Christmas.

15. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Active Member

Anybody in the neighborhood who can check this site out? I'm hearing construction has started...

Mike

16. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

#16 SW2Fiddler, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
    How's the charging at the L'Auberge? (checking PlugShare, I see that and a ChargePoint at a McDonald's) I'd like to go look but I need ions for the return trip - HOUTX_Rick

17. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Active Member

It's 208V, 30A J1772. Charges the Tesla at about 17-18 miles per hour. Free.

20140630_142441_Android.jpg

18. Tyl

Tyl Member

I read some Texas stories here. Some true:biggrin:!

19. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

Fresh poured slabs!
    Six slots and three charger units are conduited.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415411184.106895.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415411224.853123.jpg

20. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

Tight layout, frugal with the cable.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415411525.823157.jpg

First pedestal sideways.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415411652.825197.jpg
    And an enclosure based on stout tubes?