TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Supercharger - Lake City, FL

Discussion in 'Florida' started by airj1012, Aug 6, 2014.

Tags:
  1. airj1012

airj1012 Active Member

#1 airj1012, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
    The attached article ("Suddenly, Lake City a magnet for new business" - left side) in the Lake City Reporter confirms that Superchargers are coming to the city. I have heard that the possible location is in the parking lot with Moe's and Applebee's off Hwy 90. Approximate address may be 2893 W US Highway 90 Lake City, FL 32055. I'm trying to confirm additional information.

Telsa 1A_1.jpg

Telsa 3A_1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Update: The location has been permitted and is under construction. The address for the location is 2941 W US HWY 90. Anyone in the area to snap some photos? I believe the confirmed location is still close to the Applebee's address used above however Google Maps shows it in a different area. Try using Bing Maps instead.

Attached Files:

2. KeithM

KeithM Member

#2 KeithM, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
    Airj - Nice detective work.

If the picture in the paper is in fact the SC construction site, then using Google Street View, the picture of the construction was taken 50 or so feet forward from and just to the right of this location in the first photo. That utility pole has some hefty wiring that doesn't appear to go anywhere. Maybe it will go to the SC cabinets?

The second photo shows the newspaper camera position and the likely area of the Supercharger.

The Third photo is an overview map. Great location for those traveling I-75 and a small detour from I-10.

Does that match up with what you see?
    lakecitysc.jpg

Attached Files:

3. emupilot

emupilot Member

Nice sleuthing, airj1012 and KeithM! Both Google and Bing maps are confused, but 2941 W US Highway 90 is the address for Moe's Southwest Grill.

4. Lawsteve

Lawsteve MCATDT

I did the same search and reached the same conclusion, but Keith beat me to the punch. Attempting to attach my google earth image with a red box at the site.

- - - Updated - - -

160 miles from Tampa and 105 miles from the Lake City SC to Tallahassee. FSU football games, here I come!

Attached Files:

5. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Not only that. This finally opens up Atlanta to the west coast of Florida!

Clearwater beach, and Sarasota beach are just a drive away.

6. airj1012

airj1012 Active Member

Somehow when I was skimming the article I didn't even notice the construction picture. In the picture, the site is pretty far along. Plus the article was run on 7/31. Who knows when the picture was take. I bet this site is pretty far along.

7. caddieo

caddieo Member

......and also to folks from the east coast as this bridges the gap between St. Augustine and Tifton, GA. Now if they would just do Atlanta, Chattanooga, Nashville, Louisville and Indianapolis and Lafayette - then Chicago, here I come.

8. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

#8 Larry Chanin, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
    Hi Keith,

My guess is that utility pole has been converted to a cable pole, meaning the there was a transition from open wire to cable on that pole. In the news article we can see a three-phase pad-mounted transformer. These transformers are feed by underground primary cable. So the cable will in all likelihood will be coming down that pole in cable riser, then underground to the transformer. From there 480 volt secondary will go to the Supercharger switchgear, then the Superchargers.

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Steve,

Not to quibble, I put it at 173 miles from the Brandon Supercharger construction site. :biggrin: I figure when they put in the Ocala Supercharger Station that will split the distance from Lake City to Ocala to about 81 miles, and from the Ocala Superchargers to the Brandon Superchargers to about 94 miles.

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, great work guys!

It looks like the location is in the parking lot of Firehouse Subs, so the address is likely to be 2929 W US Highway 90.

Larry

9. airj1012

airj1012 Active Member

That location is on the Coming Soon map. Maybe its under construction and we don't know about it. Just like Lake City was.

10. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Exactly, this location connects Brandon with a long charge in an 85 and a hypermile adventure in a 60. Gainesville will make the I-75 route a no-brainer.

DeFuniak Springs is possible as a hypermile adventure in an 85, but Tallahassee will make the westbound trip on I-10 very comfortable in an 85 or a 60. Next stop, Texas!

Great to see the connections coming together!

11. Larry Chanin

The Supercharger team tells us that they are actively developing an Ocala location. We don't know whether a location has been selected or if construction has started.

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

We have been lead to believe that the Gainesville location has been moved to Ocala.

Larry

12. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Perfect! That is much better spacing and sets up the folks coming south to Orlando to get a nice fat charge before rolling into Orlando. That is a great change in Supercharger locations. I certainly hope that is the case!

13. Lawsteve

Lawsteve MCATDT

Not sure where I got the 160 - probably trying to do a quick search before getting back to work. At 173, still no problem in my P85, as long as I don't go too crazy on the speed. It will be nicer once Ocala is on line, and even better when they get Tallahassee going.

14. ChrisC

ChrisC see signature

#14 ChrisC, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
    The supercharge.info map links to this Tesla web page for the site:

Supercharger | Tesla Motors

... although for now it's just generic/bogus content, which you'd see for any string of characters at the end of that URL.

I don't think anyone linked to the actual location:

http://goo.gl/maps/GkL74

15. Wantap85

Wantap85 Member

Panama City to Orlando....Awesome!!! Anyone know how long average construction is taking on stations elsewhere?

16. Lawsteve

Lawsteve MCATDT

209 miles from Lake City to my 98 year old grandmother's house in Panama City. Not sure I'm comfortable enough to try that one yet, even though my P85 should make it easily as long as I don't drive too crazy. Also will need for you to install at least a 40 amp plug for me to steal some power from you! The 110 outlet at my grandmother's house just wouldn't cut it.

Once they get Tallahassee in place, the trip should be an easy one.

17. Larry Chanin

We have received reports that the Lake City Supercharger is about 80% complete.

Larry

18. Sgt Barone

Sgt Barone Member

Great news!

19. atlg8or

atlg8or Model S 2x

Anyone near this one? Scouting report would be great.

20. airj1012

airj1012 Active Member

Yes any updates? This location should be completed soon I would believe.