Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lake Geneva, WI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Report from the supercharge.info forum:

"The Grand Geneva Resort & Spa in Lake Geneva, WI, USA is installing a 6 stall Supercharger." - comment also reports that works have begun and Tesla equipment is physically onsite.

Lake Geneva is on Tesla's schedule so I have added this to supercharge.info - it would be nice to get some photos though!

Note sure where on the site they are - I've put a dot near the existing destination chargers/Chargepoint chargers for the time being.

Photos posted on the iOS Supercharger app (July 5th, Construction is probably finished by now)
89876AAB-A056-4D39-A176-2919ED429F3D.jpeg
2424FB7A-6F72-4A4C-80DA-C6F9F40346C3.jpeg

Attachments

• BA536598-D20A-4CB2-B083-4C234611A781.jpeg
    BA536598-D20A-4CB2-B083-4C234611A781.jpeg
    547.6 KB · Views: 201
  • 6A1B8200-F915-4835-8E1F-272A476EF34C.jpeg
    6A1B8200-F915-4835-8E1F-272A476EF34C.jpeg
    553.8 KB · Views: 198
I personally know the owner of the electrical contractor on this SC build.

He said the hold-up right now is due to an abandoned 50-year old AT&T phone wire that was discovered underground during trenching/boring. Normally this wouldn't be a big deal except the unused phone wire is encased in lead so dealing with it is an environmental issue that no one wants to disturb.

He's coordinating the lead mitigation and legal permits with the electric utility, land-owner, etc. right now. He needs to encase the lead line in concrete and steel, which is extra cost and time that wasn't planned. I asked him why not just remove the lead wire? He was told no, due to age and contamination concerns it has to stay intact in place.

He wants to get this done ASAP since he's a proud and happy Tesla owner plus his firm won't be paid for their installation work until everything is fully installed and working.

I personally know the owner of the electrical contractor on this SC build.

He said the hold-up right now is due to an abandoned 50-year old AT&T phone wire that was discovered underground during trenching/boring. Normally this wouldn't be a big deal except the unused phone wire is encased in lead so dealing with it is an environmental issue that no one wants to disturb.

He's coordinating the lead mitigation and legal permits with the electric utility, land-owner, etc. right now. He needs to encase the lead line in concrete and steel, which is extra cost and time that wasn't planned. I asked him why not just remove the lead wire? He was told no, due to age and contamination concerns it has to stay intact in place.

From what I know about how this is done, you can remove it (and they *should*), but you have to pretty much encase it / wrap it in order to remove it (so that it comes out encased), so it actually costs more than leaving it in place.

It's possible to take it out encased in dirt; this can be done by freezing the ground and cutting it out; but it's quite a project either way. Encase-in-place is cheaper.

I spoke with the master electrician again, his firm was sub-contracted by Tesla and the Resort to install these Superchargers. They made it past the lead mitigation and remediation, which required a lot of paperwork. He said that all of his electrical work is complete. Now just waiting on the local power utility company to install and energize the necessary transformer ("big green box"). They had poured the concrete pad and had to let that sit over a week for proper curing. It's been that long already. The landscaping crew was the same as who did the whole resort to remain consistent and clean looking.

He said that any further delays are up to the utility and Tesla now. There's been a transformer hardware shortage lately, low to no inventory so that part has to be shipped long-distance via freight. I asked if he thought it would be done within one month, he said hoped so since he hasn't been paid for the time and materials. The SC site needs to be 100% complete and fully functional before Tesla pays their sub-contractors including electricians.

The transformer has been installed. The meter is on and showing numbers. No energy consumed yet. By all appearances this supercharger is complete. It looks like it's just waiting for Tesla to turn it on and commission it.

Attachments

• IMG_1765.jpg
    IMG_1765.jpg
    681.5 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1764.jpg
    IMG_1764.jpg
    868.2 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1763.jpg
    IMG_1763.jpg
    904.7 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_1762.jpg
    IMG_1762.jpg