Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lakeland, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I checked for permit applications at the addresses of the 2 Wawas in Lakeland. Nothing there. So, either it won't be at either of those Wawas or they haven't reached the point where they're ready to apply for permits yet.
UPDATE: I found a building permit for "Installation of Electric Vehicle Charging Station" at the Wawa near the Lakeland Square Mall on US-98 just a bit north of I-4. There's nothing in the online record that would confirm that it's a supercharger or for Tesla, but the timings for the various steps in the approval process fit Tesla's MO. Also, Tesla has a longstanding partnership with Wawa to put superchargers at their locations. So I certainly won't be surprised if this is it. Just need someone to swing by and find out for sure. Given that the permit was issued 2 weeks ago, there's a good chance whatever it's for is under construction already.

Address: 4320 US Hwy 98 N, Lakeland, FL 33809

Permit #BLD19-04897
Supercharger- Lakeland, FL_permit.JPG

Last edited:
There are also 8 parking spots on the west side of the property, on the back side of the Wawa from Hwy 98. You're right, it is a tight space.

My office is just a couple of miles from there. I'll swing by every now and then to check progress.

This SC, or more accurately the promise thereof, is one of the reasons I bought my X almost a year ago. I had it in my mind that I would rely much more heavily on superchargers than I ended up doing. In any case, it's really good to finally see progress here.

I drove through the parking lot today to see if there was any activity...NOTHING. Are these permits only valid for a year?
They expire 6 months from issuance or the last substantive activity. In this case, they expire in mid-August unless the construction starts before then, which would reset the expiration clock. However, even if they do expire, it's not a big deal. It just means that Tesla would have to pay a fee to revive them. This process can only be more than a minuscule hassle if new building codes are adopted in the interim, and even then only if the new codes have changes that impact the plans--i.e. changes to the prior approved plans to comply with the new codes would be required.

Basically, it's not a concern.

Reactions: Seven7
Well there are 8 parking spots to the rear of the building and 8 to the right. Only 2 locations for possible chargers. Patrons won’t be happy as parking is limited. Maybe they will do like they did in Sarasota and put them in the lot right near Wawa. If not most of the charging spot will get Iced. Experience that a lot in WV.