Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lamar, CO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, by thirty minutes or less! I did a 99% charge and didn't make it to my campground in Lathrop State Park, near Walsenburg, until after midnight. I was wondering if anyone from Custer was going to head here.

Eastbound Amtrak train came through and did a slow and go while I was waiting.

I need a full charge at my campground so that I can make a side trip to Great Sand Dunes National Park on my way home, via Poncha Springs.

Lamar was pretty much shut down on a Sunday evening so I was pleased to see the portable toilets at the Train/Welcome Station. Also has free WiFi that reaches the Supercharger stalls.
I too used the Porta-potties. Tried to walk to the nearby Love's but got there just after it closed at 10pm (the other Love's was open but it's at least a half mile away). I'm not too picky, but that walk was somewhat sketchy and there were homeless ish looking people around the train station and the supercharger. I think a lot of Tesla owners will object to this location, especially if they charge here after dark.

I too used the Porta-potties. Tried to walk to the nearby Love's but got there just after it closed at 10pm (the other Love's was open but it's at least a half mile away). I'm not too picky, but that walk was somewhat sketchy and there were homeless ish looking people around the train station and the supercharger. I think a lot of Tesla owners will object to this location, especially if they charge here after dark.
I can't see this location getting much use. Lamar? The number of drivers using that stretch of US 50, versus the Interstates, figures to be tiny.

Yet Tesla never gets around to putting in a Supercharger Station in Alamosa, gateway to Great Sand Dunes National Park, or Cortez, gateway to Mesa Verde National Park, both on a well-used stretch of US 160. Go figure.

I can't see this location getting much use. Lamar? The number of drivers using that stretch of US 50, versus the Interstates, figures to be tiny.

Yet Tesla never gets around to putting in a Supercharger Station in Alamosa, gateway to Great Sand Dunes National Park, or Cortez, gateway to Mesa Verde National Park, both on a well-used stretch of US 160. Go figure.

I have to agree with this. US 160 really needs some attention.

Lamar may be useful for those looking to get out of Dodge, however.

I plan to use Lamar as a way to get from Trinidad, CO to Gothenburg, NE. If I stuck to interstates I'd have to go through Denver and I'd much rather avoid the traffic in big cities when I can.

• Informative
Reactions: dgpcolorado
I plan to use Lamar as a way to get from Trinidad, CO to Gothenburg, NE. If I stuck to interstates I'd have to go through Denver and I'd much rather avoid the traffic in big cities when I can.

Even for this route, you may be better off going Trinidad->Limon->Brush->Ogallala->Gothenburg (assuming you can make 170 miles from Trinidad to Limon). According to Google maps, it's 30+ minutes faster than going through Lamar (while still avoiding Denver).

The top 3 routes offered by Google Maps don't go through Lamar or Denver. The quickest one hits enough superchargers to be feasible. It goes through Limon and Brush.

I was surprised how desolate it was on the drive from Lamar to Goodland. It was late at night, but not after midnight or anything. And I think I only saw one other car!

Even for this route, you may be better off going Trinidad->Limon->Brush->Ogallala->Gothenburg (assuming you can make 170 miles from Trinidad to Limon). According to Google maps, it's 30+ minutes faster than going through Lamar (while still avoiding Denver).
This route works fine, but Limon was the weakest link on this route; often slow or broken stalls. I sometimes routed differently *just* to avoid Limon. I am really happy that the Limon V3 expansion is up and running now!

C’mon, Tesla, ALAMOSA already! By the time (if) they ever add this my sister-in-law will have moved from ABQ to DEN. We are west of Denver and much prefer taking US-285. (Just in case, there is a ChargePoint slow-drip at the public library.)

I've done that route a few times. Trinidad to Limon is long but very doable. But both Limon and Brush are kind of sh*t holes. I'm just glad to have another option to try. I may revert back to Limon and Brush but I'll be trying Lamar on my next jaunt.

Tesla's Twitter announcement.
20220606_230643.jpg