Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lanaʻi City, Lanaʻi, HI (4 stalls + 36 wall connectors)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At long last, Hawaii's first supercharger, and it looks like Lanaʻi gets the honors.

It's a little hard to locate the exact location, as I'm not too familiar with Lanaʻi, but it appears to be a new construction near the corner of 12th street and Fraser ave. The exact address: 1001 Fraser Ave

ELECTRICAL WORK INCLUDES INSTALLATION OF UNDERGROUND HECO SERVICE (480/277V, 3PH) AND PAD MOUNT METERING SWITCHBOARD. INSTALL (2) TESLA SUPER CHARGER CABINETS FOR (4) TESLA WALL CONNECTORS. INSTALL UNDERGROUND HECO SERVICE (208/120V, 3PH) AND PAD MOUNT METERING SWTICHBOARD. INSTALL (36) TESLA WALL CONNECTORS. INSTALL SOLAR POWERED LIGHT POLES.

Here's the permit: KivaNet 9.1.2.1

@MarcoRP @Chuq @Pluto

Last edited:
At long last, Hawaii's first supercharger, and it looks like Lanaʻi gets the honors.

It's a little hard to locate the exact location, as I'm not too familiar with Lanaʻi, but it appears to be a new construction near the corner of 12th street and Fraser ave. The exact address: 1001 Fraser Ave

Here's the permit: KivaNet 9.1.2.1

@MarcoRP @Chuq @Pluto

That's exciting news! However although there were a few things that make me question it, it looks legit.. things I thought needed checking:

- 4 Tesla wall connectors? (could be a mistake on the permit, especially as supercharger cabinets are listed separately and 36 wall connectors are listed separately later)
- 2 cabinets for 4 stalls? That would make sense if they were urban superchargers which is my guess.
- Most of all, the location. I would have thought the first would be on Oahu where most of the population is, or the big island where the distance might make a supercharger more useful. Lanai City, on the 6th smallest island sound like a strange option. However, it's possible being an urban supercharger it is for locals, and it's also possible Tesla are installing others across Hawaii and it and just hasn't been detected.

So, now added to supercharge.info - congrats Hawaiians!

Wasn’t there a discussion on this in the past? Doesn’t Larry Ellison have a private Tesla fleet for guests of the Four Seasons? My guess is it’s probably for that, though 64 chargers seems a bit much

Reactions: AZRI11
Both would make sense, I was just wondering why they would install a new V2 when pretty much all new ones in the USA have been V3.

Maybe they are re-using old V2 hardware in places that don't really need V3 speeds? Or maybe the island doesn't have the power necessary to support a V3 install. (I think they always put at least two V3 cabinets so that a single failure doesn't take out the whole site.)

• Informative
Reactions: PStewart
Based on each of the two electrical service feeds being listed at 800-1200 amps (one for the superchargers and one for the wall connectors), I’m going to say this could be a V3 station. Two V2/urban cabinets wouldn’t need that large of a feed but two V3 cabinets would. We’ll see!

• Informative
Well, I wasn’t quick enough! I used to check the Maui electrical permitting site almost every day hunting for a Maui supercharger permit! After no luck for so long, I slowed down to every couple of weeks. I totally missed this one! Doesn’t help any of us Maui owners, but any supercharger is a good thing! :)

But technically there's nothing whatsoever "official" about that contest.

Officially, we Alaskans are the lastest with the leastest. And, as eyerollingly unnecessary a location that either Juneau or Ketchikan would be for a Supercharger - as you really, really can't go very far from town before there are no more roads - Lana'i is all the worse as (1) it's just as road-deficient, and (2) any responsible member of the Board of Directors would have told Tesla Inc. that, regardless of whether another party (that Board Member, in this case) is happy to pay Tesla for a market-clearing price for the Supercharger, it nevertheless would better the cause for which Tesla EXISTS were such hardware to be purchased....and then put to very, very good use in Alaska. Lots of terrific spots for Superchargers there, as I've presented to Tesla multiple times since at least six years ago.

Rant off. We love Hawaii.

And we love our sister, Alaska too. And we are sorry "you win". You deserve betta for being there.

You told them multiple times? We too. Many many.

I guess if we are on the list long enough - maybe we will be the first to get V4 or V5 Superchargers, eh?

And very nice to have heard from someone "up north". :)

New Tweet from ElonJet. Could be interesting for Supercharger development

E85D8D0A-5942-4845-892E-1F05BB54B987.jpeg