Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lanaʻi City, Lanaʻi, HI (4 stalls + 36 wall connectors)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s always been private access. Larry Ellison had them installed, presumably for his hotel Tesla fleet.
Is the post saying it's in a publicly accessible location incorrect? No one refuted it.

The assumption that it would only be able to charge certain cars seems unlikely. Someone mentioned service center chargers but in my experience those are capable of charging any Tesla they just typically have "Private do not charge" signs or whatever but if you ignore them you can charge there.

Reactions: Big Earl
Is there a reason this supercharger says "private access" on supercharge.info? The conclusion here seems to be that's it's a publicly accessible charger if you can get to the island and have a Tesla.
It’s always been private access. Larry Ellison had them installed, presumably for his hotel Tesla fleet.
I was there in February. The chargers are in a public lot with no restrictions on access. If supercharge.info says “private access”, then I believe it is a mistake. Access to the entire island is difficult, but if you get there, there are zero restrictions on access to the chargers. The Ellison-owned hotels indeed have Teslas for various purposes, but numerous private individuals have their own Teslas. There is a car rental service that will rent you a Model Y (which I don’t believe is Ellison owned).

Larry Ellison is trying to buy every piece of real estate he can on the island and pays inflated prices. Some property owners sell to him, some don’t. If you are an island resident, you can ship vehicles to the island. No restrictions on Teslas or any other vehicle. [but there are no 18 wheelers on the island.]

Visiting the island is not hard but moving there is difficult and expensive. If you are able to move there and bring a Tesla with you, there are plenty of public places to charge on the island with free unrestricted access, including the lot with the Superchargers.

Any “private”, “limited access” designation on the Superchargers is wrong.

@corywright @Big Earl

I was there in February. The chargers are in a public lot with no restrictions on access. If supercharge.info says “private access”, then I believe it is a mistake. Access to the entire island is difficult, but if you get there, there are zero restrictions on access to the chargers. The Ellison-owned hotels indeed have Teslas for various purposes, but numerous private individuals have their own Teslas. There is a car rental service that will rent you a Model Y (which I don’t believe is Ellison owned).

Larry Ellison is trying to buy every piece of real estate he can on the island and pays inflated prices. Some property owners sell to him, some don’t. If you are an island resident, you can ship vehicles to the island. No restrictions on Teslas or any other vehicle. [but there are no 18 wheelers on the island.]

Visiting the island is not hard but moving there is difficult and expensive. If you are able to move there and bring a Tesla with you, there are plenty of public places to charge on the island with free unrestricted access, including the lot with the Superchargers.

Any “private”, “limited access” designation on the Superchargers is wrong.

@corywright @Big Earl
Thanks for clarifying! All this time, thought it was restricted! Although it doesn't show up on Tesla supercharger map.

Much like the Moscow supercharger, I think this one is technically out of Tesla's control. They just sold the hardware to a third party. In this case that third party happens to be a Tesla board member. It's rare, but there are "private" superchargers. That's why this one isn't on Teslas map. This one is "private" but also open to anyone. It's location is the reason it isn't locked down though.

Much like the Moscow supercharger, I think this one is technically out of Tesla's control. They just sold the hardware to a third party. In this case that third party happens to be a Tesla board member. It's rare, but there are "private" superchargers. That's why this one isn't on Teslas map. This one is "private" but also open to anyone. It's location is the reason it isn't locked down though.
And probably not many Teslas on the island besides hotel fleet so no need to restrict use