Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lancelin, WA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Shire of Gingin has unanimously voted to support a lease to Tesla for a supercharger station at Lancelin (125 km north of Perth).

Interestingly enough, Synergy has also contacted the council about the WA Electric Highway, and while they didn't put in a combined application they are right next to each other!

1637655222438.png

One downside is that the car park was not large enough for the bays to be marked as dedicated reserved bays, but council officers report there is no shortage of parking in the area and hopes drivers will use an honour system. We will have to see about that...

Council are currently going through the legal processes and are advertising the disposition of property at Public Notices » Shire of Gingin (until 6 December - the content will likely disappear from that page after that date)

Last edited:
Reactions: corywright and cafz
Had to look that one up.
On the coast, 125km north of Perth.
Added to the Index.

Interesting also given the recent NZ thread that Tesla are willing to pay a small amount for the lease.

Think this is the first Synergy (WA Govt owned electrical retailer) site we've seen, others in WA are mostly RACWA.

Wonder if there is any meaning behind the red and yellow squares on the map.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuq
Good find! Interesting that a summary of the submissions to council were included. A few people suggesting the bays need to be marked as reserved for EVs as consistently blocked spots will risk people skipping the town anyway.

Considering Lancelin is also getting 4 WA EV network DC charging cables Lancelin will be about 4 years ahead of what’s needed where as the majority of Australia is currently an average of 2 years behind schedule.

To clarify the adjacent Lancelin WA EV Network site consists of 1 Kempower stand with 2 CCS cables.

If Australia is 2 years behind schedule then WA is over 5 years behind. This one will be WA's 5th Supercharger with 3 of the other 4 having been built in the last year. And, when complete, only the Williams, Australind, and this site will be useful.

The current, and planned, Superchargers do not begin to address the requirements of a state the size of WA.

To clarify the adjacent Lancelin WA EV Network site consists of 1 Kempower stand with 2 CCS cables.

If Australia is 2 years behind schedule then WA is over 5 years behind. This one will be WA's 5th Supercharger with 3 of the other 4 having been built in the last year. And, when complete, only the Williams, Australind, and this site will be useful.

The current, and planned, Superchargers do not begin to address the requirements of a state the size of WA.
Nope, WA on average is NO further behind schedule than the rest of the country when it comes to DC charging infrastructure. I’d like to see WAs charging infrastructure catch up to demand as fast as possible as much as any West Aussie EV driver but life’s not greener on the other side of the border.

Nope, WA on average is NO further behind schedule than the rest of the country when it comes to DC charging infrastructure. I’d like to see WAs charging infrastructure catch up to demand as fast as possible as much as any West Aussie EV driver but life’s not greener on the other side of the border.
I didn't see your location before so I thought you may be from the right coast and unaware of the situation on the left coast.

But I must disagree. For instance it is not possible to drive from Perth to Carnarvon by proceeding from Supercharger to Supercharger. A drive of similar distance is possible on the right coast.

I didn't see your location before so I thought you may be from the right coast and unaware of the situation on the left coast.

But I must disagree. For instance it is not possible to drive from Perth to Carnarvon by proceeding from Supercharger to Supercharger. A drive of similar distance is possible on the right coast.
You can phrase it any way you like to you make it seem either good or bad.
e.g.
“Can you drive to all cities of over 1 million people?” - yes to both coasts
“Can you drive to all locations 1000 km from all cities of over 1 million people?” - no to both coasts

Therefore, coverage on both sides of the country is the same.

Yes, I know that’s not really true, but the two areas have a 10x difference in population, you can’t compare them 1:1.

Nope, WA on average is NO further behind schedule than the rest of the country when it comes to DC charging infrastructure.

NSW is spending $171M over 4 years on charging infrastructure, $149M of that on around 1000 DCFCs. The first grant results were announced Oct last year, and Round 2 is under assessment, so expect to see things accelerate on the ground really quickly from mid year onwards.

Mind you they need to here, with ACT and NSW having the highest uptake of EVs in the country.

WA is a tough one.
80+% of the state population is in Perth.

The Williams Supercharger (in a town of 400) is way more remote than say Dubbo (38000) and Southern Cross (as a vote winner) (with 700) equally remote.

Suspect in the next few years Tesla will cover Geraldton to Albany, but I think the WA network with its smaller sites will have to do the rest.

Maybe all the way to Kalgoorlie if Southern Cross is any guide.. but look at Qld, nothing West of Toowoomba.

Reactions: Hairyman
Yeah, most of the Superchargers in SA, VIC, NSW, ACT and QLD are on routes between large city pairs, hence well-travelled. The Mitchell Hwy to Dubbo sees about 4 times the traffic volume that the North-West Coastal Hwy to Carnarvon does. I suspect the Superchargers will get there eventually, though.

Reactions: johnchidgey
You can phrase it any way you like to you make it seem either good or bad.
e.g.
“Can you drive to all cities of over 1 million people?” - yes to both coasts
“Can you drive to all locations 1000 km from all cities of over 1 million people?” - no to both coasts

Therefore, coverage on both sides of the country is the same.

Yes, I know that’s not really true, but the two areas have a 10x difference in population, you can’t compare them 1:1.

You seem to be saying that WA, because of its low population, will never be served by Tesla Superchargers. I hope you are wrong but I suspect you are right.