Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Laramie, WY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called the Fairfield Inn this afternoon. The chargers are not working yet and they have no idea of when they will. So ... no news.

(I'd really rather go east over I-80 this weekend rather than I-70. For one thing, it's shorter.)

I called the Fairfield Inn this afternoon. The chargers are not working yet and they have no idea of when they will. So ... no news.

(I'd really rather go east over I-80 this weekend rather than I-70. For one thing, it's shorter.)
Thanks for checking! Based on past activations on other stretches of remote interstate, my best guess is that this will be a one-technician-trip activation of Laramie and Rawlins over the course of two days, once both sites have a live utility transformer & meter and have passed local inspection. Days to weeks, but hopefully not too much longer. OBTW- on your way to CO via I-70, depending on your battery size, watch consumption vs. speed between Twin Falls and Tremonton. I have to slow down in my little 70D- looking forward to the additional site near Burley. Another note- we have found the newer site in Price, UT to be noticeably faster than the older site in Green River, if you find yourself needing to choose between them. Much better lawn for the dog in Green River, though.

I'll be doing my first CO to UT trip in a couple weeks. Hope I-80 is open. MX 60D. Worried about the 70D comment of range problems if I take the I-70 route...
Sorry to raise a concern. The only strech of the trip between Oregon and Colorado that I have to watch is that stretch in Idaho between Tremonton and Twin Falls on I-80. Otherwise, no problem. I-70 is well supplied, especially for the weather right now. Just be aware of the significant diffenence in energy consumption (because of wind resistance) between 75 mph and 85 mph. You can watch the predicted percent of chartge at your next stop and/or the energy consumption graph on your display. But enjoy! Our road trips in our MS have been the best ever. We found that range anxiety melts away after a day or two on the road.

Sorry to raise a concern. The only strech of the trip between Oregon and Colorado that I have to watch is that stretch in Idaho between Tremonton and Twin Falls on I-80. Otherwise, no problem. I-70 is well supplied, especially for the weather right now. Just be aware of the significant diffenence in energy consumption (because of wind resistance) between 75 mph and 85 mph. You can watch the predicted percent of chartge at your next stop and/or the energy consumption graph on your display. But enjoy! Our road trips in our MS have been the best ever. We found that range anxiety melts away after a day or two on the road.
Ah, I missed the state difference. I've been up around the mountains a few times, but not more than one supercharger in. (Just no reason yet).

Thanks for correcting me!

I'm planning on a trip Loveland, CO to SLC, UT on Sept 8-9. I really hope Laramie and/or Rawlins will be live by then. I don't know why it would take that long to go live. I will need one or both to make it in my MS 85.
All I can say, after a couple of years of observing reports in this forum and watching two site installations on the Oregon coast last fall, is that the timing for activation can be a mystery. Sometimes a delay seems obvious- waiting for a utility transformer, or issues with a local inspection. Sometimes everything looks done but the site still sits for a few weeks. I've had to accept (reluctantly) that prediction is unreliable, and activation rarely happens as fast as I had hoped. But eventually that technician will arrive, and I-80 in the West will have its Golden Spike moment. I hope it's in time for your trip!

OBTW- on your way to CO via I-70, depending on your battery size, watch consumption vs. speed between Twin Falls and Tremonton. I have to slow down in my little 70D- looking forward to the additional site near Burley. Another note- we have found the newer site in Price, UT to be noticeably faster than the older site in Green River, if you find yourself needing to choose between them. Much better lawn for the dog in Green River, though.

My mapping program shows Twin Falls to Tremonton to be 149 miles. There is a hump (elevation change) around the Utah-Idaho border, and Tremonton is about 600' higher than Twin Falls, but I wouldn't think that would be significant. However, that open stretch near the border can be terribly windy at times. Thanks for the warning. I'll try to moderate my speed (sometimes difficult for me).

My mapping program shows Twin Falls to Tremonton to be 149 miles. There is a hump (elevation change) around the Utah-Idaho border, and Tremonton is about 600' higher than Twin Falls, but I wouldn't think that would be significant. However, that open stretch near the border can be terribly windy at times. Thanks for the warning. I'll try to moderate my speed (sometimes difficult for me).
SLC to Boise is my most common route, and I'm always glad to have validation that Tremonton to Twin is a very difficult hop. I've never been at risk of not making it, but if you don't charge at least an extra 10-15% you have to slow down. Keep in mind I drive an X, so the wind resistance at 80+ mph has even more of an effect than an S.

I think it's just a compounding of all the factors - relatively longer hop between chargers, high speed limit, lots of elevation changes (not just net, but a lot of up and down in the Utah half), and frequent moderate to high winds.