Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Laramie, WY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently sitting at the Laramie SC. The system is dark. IT IS NOT WORKING. We charged enough in Rawlins to be able to skip it, but I sure hope nobody else gets bit by this!!!
BTW Bert, I must have just missed you at Rawlins. I was there from 4-5pm and never saw another Tesla.

And you should be thrilled with your tailwind today. I've been battling it all day. You might have been able to just coast from Laramie to Cheyenne without any need for the battery :)

• Funny
Reactions: DrivingRockies
BTW Bert, I must have just missed you at Rawlins. I was there from 4-5pm and never saw another Tesla.

And you should be thrilled with your tailwind today. I've been battling it all day. You might have been able to just coast from Laramie to Cheyenne without any need for the battery :)
We were in Rawlins at 6.

Haha, yep, the sails were up! 260 Wh/mi@83 mph. I resolved to find another route whenever heading westward...

We were in Rawlins at 6.

Haha, yep, the sails were up! 260 Wh/mi@83 mph. I resolved to find another route whenever heading westward...
My hypermiling to Rawlins was brutal, but I made it alright. I rarely draft, but hadn't had a problem the other times I had done it (mostly the other times on I-80 through Wyoming back before there were so many superchargers). This time the first guy I tried to draft became irate and flipped me the bird, then he must have gotten on his CB and warned the other drivers because they were all trying to not let me draft. But anyways, I lasted 5-10 miles with a couple trucks and then eventually found one that didn't seem to mind so I made it to Rawlins just fine :)

The rest of the trip was fine, but I did have to charge to 200+ rated miles a few times just to be sure I could make the next supercharger. First in Rock Springs due to all the wind and then in Tremonton due to the dreaded Tremonton/Twin Falls leg. At least that leg wasn't too windy. 147 miles and 80mph speed limit make that one of the more challenging Interstate legs in the country, especially in the other direction and/or in winter.

Both comments about Rawlins-Laramie reminded me that ten days ago I was on that route behind a “SUPERFAST semi” at a steady 90 mph, with tailwind also so arrived, despite the rain with 37% SOC. I’d begun from Rawlins at 100% on a S75, had never been on the route before, so I was very nervous.

To paraphrase Horace Greeley, “go East old man, if you want best range with your BEV in southern Wyoming, go East!”

I had several legs with around 250 Wh/mi but only one when I was traveling so quickly.
When I began that trip Laramie SC was not on my cars database. It appeared spontaneously while I was at the Salt Lake City Supercharger earlier in the day.

...Haha, yep, the sails were up! 260 Wh/mi@83 mph. I resolved to find another route whenever heading westward...
Wow! I've seen tailwind numbers like that but never at 83 mph.

... First in Rock Springs due to all the wind and then in Tremonton due to the dreaded Tremonton/Twin Falls leg. At least that leg wasn't too windy. 147 miles and 80mph speed limit make that one of the more challenging Interstate legs in the country, especially in the other direction and/or in winter.
I agree, that's the toughest trip leg I do in my S60! Even with a 95% charge and mild weather no way can I go the speed limit; eastbound is worse, as you say, unless I have a tailwind. Haven't had to deal with a significant headwind yet — I've done that leg four times in each direction, monitoring my energy plot carefully the whole way.

Just thought I'd note that Laramie has never been officially open at any time, despite its first reported use over a month ago. Tesla has gotten pretty good at quickly showing the SCs are open on the nav and SC maps unless there's a problem, so I tend to consider an 'open' listing at supercharge.info based solely on customer reports as preliminary, and not to be counted on until Tesla officially lists the site.

I too got to Laramie on Friday afternoon and found it dark. I thought that I had charged enough at the Rawlins SC to make it to Cheyenne but the severe wind conditions, 40mph+ wind gusts, ate up more charge than I thought. Since others had been using the Laramie SC, even though it isn't official, I thought I could do a quick charge and be alright. NOT SO, it was completely dark. I had 56 miles in my tank and it was 54 to Cheyenne SC. I put my flashers on and proceeded at 50mph, I made it, which is surprising in view of the climb out of Laramie. So, as others have warned, do not depend on the Laramie SC until it is official. Too close for comfort.

I too got to Laramie on Friday afternoon and found it dark. I thought that I had charged enough at the Rawlins SC to make it to Cheyenne but the severe wind conditions, 40mph+ wind gusts, ate up more charge than I thought. Since others had been using the Laramie SC, even though it isn't official, I thought I could do a quick charge and be alright. NOT SO, it was completely dark. I had 56 miles in my tank and it was 54 to Cheyenne SC. I put my flashers on and proceeded at 50mph, I made it, which is surprising in view of the climb out of Laramie. So, as others have warned, do not depend on the Laramie SC until it is official. Too close for comfort.
So glad you made it! I am surprised there was a strong East wind there. I have never heard of that before -- I thought the prevailing wind was from the West.

Lararmie to Cheyenne is a pretty easy leg so I would have been confident you'd make it. I would have driven a little under the speed limit to start but then sped up as the trip went on. There's a climb out of Laramie which is scary but then after that it is heavily downhill. The Laramie supercharger is over a thousand feet higher than the Cheyenne supercharger.

Just stopped by on way to Jackson. Down. Two guys working away in the enclosure headlamps on. Said pretty sure tomorrow.

Safe travels all.

Attachments

• 20171010_193255.jpg
    20171010_193255.jpg
    393.5 KB · Views: 132
  • 20171010_193210.jpg
    20171010_193210.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 101