Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Las Vegas, NV - Bridger Ave.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It appears that this location will have public access.

http://tech.co/tesla-project-100-vegas-2013-12

Interesting. So I wonder which comes first, the public station or the private station above it. The permit is only for 6 spots. There were also permits for 800 and 2000 amp switchgear going into the building. I'm no electrical engineer, but that sounds like some serious stuff.

I found the site. I had been looking in the garage off of 7th Street. But there is an area in the back of the building, off of 8th Street, that is not gated. It has some handicap parking and some back of house stuff, with a back entrance to the building. So, here are some pictures!

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 5.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 4.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 1.JPG

Interesting. So I wonder which comes first, the public station or the private station above it. The permit is only for 6 spots. There were also permits for 800 and 2000 amp switchgear going into the building. I'm no electrical engineer, but that sounds like some serious stuff.

In the typical install, it takes 200 Amps of 480 Volt, 3-Phase service (200 Amps on each of 3 phases) to feed 1 Supercharger cabinet that services 2 stalls for charging 2 MS's. The Supercharger cabinet uses a maximum of 160 Amps per phase at 480 Volts or 80% of the 200 Amp service/breakers.

My guess is that the 800 Amp service is for the 6 stalls of charging with a future growth of another 2 stalls.

Ok, I went back and looked at my data.

I departed Barstow with 204 rated miles, and I drove at 66 MPH with cruise control until I reached the summit. Then I realized I was doing fine on range, and so I stopped watching my speed for the downhill part. I arrived at my destination with 54 rates miles remaining. I traveled 150 miles, so I averaged exactly EPA mileage. This was one a strangely cool July day. (It actually rained a little bit.)

On the way back, with more confidence, I drove 69 most of the way, but I sped up at the end when I knew I had range to spare. I departed Las Vegas with 205 rated miles, and arrived in Barstow with only 13. This was a 156 mile drive. This was very hot day, unlike the the other direction, and I had to use the AC a lot.

Be prepared to spend and an hour and half in Barstow to range charge.

Thanks! This is really useful.

Man, these pics make it look like it's so close! Maybe somehow they'll have it up in 3 weeks? Although with Christmas and New Year's in between, I'm sure the installers will be getting some days off.

It really didn't look that close to me. They haven't done much other than unload some of the crates. There is no trenching, installation of conduits. Just equipment. It's not even clear if they have pulled the permit, as it just says application approved on the City of Las Vegas web site. I'll drive by there a couple of times per week and provide updates.

I went by again and snapped some more pictures of where it looks like they'll be installing the SCs. It's an area with 6 parking spots, but there are outlines painted on the floor for four pylons. It might be too tight to put all 6 there, so they may be putting two somewhere else. There is room across from the six spots, the large fenced in area visible on the right of the second picture below and just to the right of where I'm standing to take the first picture below. That area is next to handicap parking, so the note in the permit application that a spot encroached into a handicap area might suggest that bays will go over there too.

There is no work going on.

002.JPG
003.JPG
005.JPG
004.JPG

Ok, I went back and looked at my data.

I departed Barstow with 204 rated miles, and I drove at 66 MPH with cruise control until I reached the summit. Then I realized I was doing fine on range, and so I stopped watching my speed for the downhill part. I arrived at my destination with 54 rates miles remaining. I traveled 150 miles, so I averaged exactly EPA mileage. This was one a strangely cool July day. (It actually rained a little bit.)

On the way back, with more confidence, I drove 69 most of the way, but I sped up at the end when I knew I had range to spare. I departed Las Vegas with 205 rated miles, and arrived in Barstow with only 13. This was a 156 mile drive. This was very hot day, unlike the the other direction, and I had to use the AC a lot.

Be prepared to spend and an hour and half in Barstow to range charge.

Ok, so this trip either way is doable in a 60 but a bit of a challenge going West. So either a Primm NV or Baker CA SuperCharger would ease the situation. Offhand I would guess Baker to be a logical choice as it is a larger town and it has that long side route coming down from the North. Primm has no side roads thus no increased 'access area' benefit.
--

Ok, so this trip either way is doable in a 60 but a bit of a challenge going West. So either a Primm NV or Baker CA SuperCharger would ease the situation. Offhand I would guess Baker to be a logical choice as it is a larger town and it has that long side route coming down from the North. Primm has no side roads thus no increased 'access area' benefit.
--

The nice thing about Primm is it might allow people from So. Cal. to charge fully in Primm on the way in to LV and then get back to Primm without charging in Vegas. It's only about 40 miles from Primm to the Strip.

But that would drop Primm down a whole level of urgency IMO. Searchlight would better serve the Blythe, Needles, LV nexus. But I think you have indeed described the attraction of Primm.
--

I understand the ultimate plan is to have SCs outside of Las Vegas in each direction of major travel, so we may ultimately end up with them in Primm or Baker, Searchlight or Boulder City, Apex, Indian Springs, who knows where else. The more the merrier!

--

The nice thing about Primm is that it has more amenities.

There's some activity at the Las Vegas site, some more equipment unboxed and a couple of guys hanging around. I couldn't tell if they were there to work on the SC or not, so I didn't talk to them. I'll drive into the garage next time I go by and see if anyone is up for a chat.

Thanks for the update Darmok. I am will be headed to LV in early March and I think I will take my 60 now that there is a good option for charging up at the end of the weekend. If I am not mistaken, this location is also close to the Gold and Silver Pawn Shop from Pawn Stars, although I don't think I would walk from one to the other at night.

There are more materials on site, lots of conduit, and about 5 guys on the job today.

It is near the pawn stars location, but several blocks south and west. I would feel comfortable walking north then west at night, but not south and definitely not east. The way to go
Is directly north from the SC site to the container park and west from there along Fremont street.